Anyone have the LOD Destroyer Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier?

GraniteCrystal

Anyone else have issues with it swinging open and hitting the corners? Already put a little dent in mine and thankfully it didn't have the weight of the tire when it did so.

IMG_20170220_073008.jpg

IMG_20170220_073608.jpg

IMG_20170220_073441.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
Did it come with a stopping mechanism of any kind? You may have to add one. I had to add one when I built mine as it did the same thing. Just looking at the pics, I don't see how you can fix it any other way.

Rubicon310

Anyone else have issues with it swinging open and hitting the corners? Already put a little dent in mine and thankfully it didn't have the weight of the tire when it did so.

View attachment 245040

View attachment 245041

View attachment 245042

There is nothing to stop the carrier arm from swinging open and hitting the corner. When the carrier is latched to the gate, the factory gate hinges stop it. When I opened mine for the first time, I put a dent in my wife's car that was parked next to me. She wasn't to happy about it as you can imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepJeep75

Ouch! That's not cool. I though the carrier was linked to the gate for general opening and closing with the ability to separate when needed.

JeepJeep75

I looked closer at your pic. I see it is linked with the ability to separate. Not really sure if you can do anything about the gate hitting the jeep without adding a big ol stop of some sort sticking up out of the bumper.

WJCO

Meme King
You guys could add something like this. At least it will give you a stopping point. It's spring loaded so it works on its own. Also when it clicks in place, the carrier stays there. That way if you park on an incline and open it, it won't come back and hit you in the ass either.

s-l1000.jpg

GraniteCrystal

You guys could add something like this. At least it will give you a stopping point. It's spring loaded so it works on its own. Also when it clicks in place, the carrier stays there. That way if you park on an incline and open it, it won't come back and hit you in the ass either.

View attachment 245043
Link to Amazon or something? I'm not quite getting how that works. It clicks into place like that's the male end and you drill a hole in bumper for female end? (think paddle on a raft if that helps)

WJCO

Meme King
Link to Amazon or something? I'm not quite getting how that works. It clicks into place like that's the male end and you drill a hole in bumper for female end? (think paddle on a raft if that helps)

I tried finding a video with no luck. I'll try to film mine later. Basically, there is a spring inside so it pops into place when the pin moves over the bore on the bumper. Then to release it, you manually pull up on it. Here's a pic of one installed. It's my favorite tire carrier addition so far.

IMG_2012_11_03_7438.jpg

GraniteCrystal

I tried finding a video with no luck. I'll try to film mine later. Basically, there is a spring inside so it pops into place when the pin moves over the bore on the bumper. Then to release it, you manually pull up on it. Here's a pic of one installed. It's my favorite tire carrier addition so far.

View attachment 245048
Ok, yeah, that's what I was picturing. Definitely gonna look into this. Much cheaper than purchasing corners and sounds safe too so it doesn't come back and thwack me. Thanks Doug.

WJCO

Meme King
I apologize for not providing a part description earlier. Glad you found it. I found it as "spring loaded pop pin." I think I got mine from etrailer.

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

I apologize for not providing a part description earlier. Glad you found it. I found it as "spring loaded pop pin." I think I got mine from etrailer.
No worries, didn't take long to find. Need to check my carrier and see if there's a good place to position one. Would you go at 90deg or full open at 180deg? I guess I could put a hole in both locations.

WJCO

Meme King
No worries, didn't take long to find. Need to check my carrier and see if there's a good place to position one. Would you go at 90deg or full open at 180deg? I guess I could put a hole in both locations.

You'll have to put it on there and see. Drilling more than one hole would work though. Here's a video of the operation. I welded a little ramp for it go up on, then it drops behind the ramp to lock in place. Just ignore the shitty welds and rust. I built this thing so the hatch would barely open and clear the tire.

GraniteCrystal

You'll have to put it on there and see. Drilling more than one hole would work though. Here's a video of the operation. I welded a little ramp for it go up on, then it drops behind the ramp to lock in place. Just ignore the shitty welds and rust. I built this thing so the hatch would barely open and clear the tire.

So you built yours to actually stay open, rather than keeping it from opening all the way. Looks like it works well. Hmm...time to put on MacGyver hat...

Thanks for the video.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug

Great idea, that works perfect

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sharkey

Word Ninja
My buddy has the other LoD bumper, with the pin, and it tore straight through the female metal hole plate that was spot welded on top of the bumper. His tire went all the way around and dented the Jeep pretty bad.

If you go this route, make sure the pin goes all the way into the bumper.

If you only want to keep it from swinging too far, you could drill a hole in the bumper and mount a strong bolt with the head on top of the bumper. The head should be strong enough to stop the gate from swinging all the way open.

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

My buddy has the other LoD bumper, with the pin, and it tore straight through the female metal hole plate that was spot welded on top of the bumper. His tire went all the way around and dented the Jeep pretty bad.

If you go this route, make sure the pin goes all the way into the bumper.

If you only want to keep it from swinging too far, you could drill a hole in the bumper and mount a strong bolt with the head on top of the bumper. The head should be strong enough to stop the hate from swinging all the way open.
Dang. Yeah, that'd suck. Thanks for the input Sharkey.

Top Bottom