Anyone see or use this tire carrier before?

SoCalDozer

Stumbled upon this tire carrier today while surfing the interwebz. I kind of like the design and the alternative of not having the spare outside for departure angle.
I might consider this when its time to upgrade since it looks like a decent product.
Works for up to a 37 with no mods or up to a 40 with some padding mods it says.

my only concern might be the mount points depending on how good they are but it looks like they run along the inside rail of the tub for 2 feet or so.

http://www.rubitrux.com/excessive-industries-gate-keeper-tire-carrier.html

excessive-industries-gatekeeper-wrangler-jk-tire-carrier-red.jpg

I saw a few of that style at EJS, if you don't carry much when you travel and don't use the space.

I have a hard enough time wrestling the 37 back of the rear carrier, not sure I would want to wrestle it into the tub.

With the exception of spares being mounted to the tailgate, I have to say that I just don't understand the obsession with guys who are worried about it and departure angle and to the point where they would purposely rob all the useful cargo space in the back of their Jeep to address it. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler.

Cool idea, just not my cup of tea. I think the hi-lift mount is asinine though since you'd have a dang tire in the way. How would you get to it?

Cool idea, just not my cup of tea. I think the hi-lift mount is asinine though since you'd have a dang tire in the way. How would you get to it?

To be fair, it kind of looks like you can remove the Hi-Lift by folding the seats down and then pulling it out forward. Of course, being that nobody ever really uses a Hi-Lift except to maybe mistakenly try and use it to change out a tire, it'll for the most part just sit there and look cool :yup:

To be fair, it kind of looks like you can remove the Hi-Lift by folding the seats down and then pulling it out forward. Of course, being that nobody ever really uses a Hi-Lift except to maybe mistakenly try and use it to change out a tire, it'll for the most part just sit there and look cool :yup:

You are right. Hi-lifts are so dangerous. Only time I've used it was to try and break a bead on my tire, and all it did was lift my Jeep (unsafely high) but the tire didn't budge!

I would not put that kind of a rack in my JKU, it takes up all of the cargo area. If your worried about departure then you should look for a carrier that sits taller on the rear. I have the first gen. Rockhard for the JKU and I can tell you for a fact I have never hit the tire even dropping off a four foot waterfall. My bumper hit, but that was it and I run 35's.

Last edited:

I think Adam and Russ used theirs last week...along with every other piece of recover gear they had. :crazyeyes:

I came across this setup as well when I was choosing a carrier and ultimately decided against it due to loosing the cargo space. I can tell you that going with a carrier like EVO, you won't have any problems with departure angles as the carrier sits higher. I haven't had any issues yet where at times I thought for sure it would hit. Also, the EVO carrier is designed to take a hit so I wouldn't even worry about slamming it on some rocks if that were the case.

the loss of cargo space is definitely the part that i do not like about it. I never had an issue with my spare either but saw a lot of people have a new obsession with making spare tire protectors that go on the hitch or wherever.

With the exception of spares being mounted to the tailgate, I have to say that I just don't understand the obsession with guys who are worried about it and departure angle and to the point where they would purposely rob all the useful cargo space in the back of their Jeep to address it. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler.

I have mine (37") just strapped in this way right now to try it out. I mainly did it because I liked the look with trek top and the tramp stamp license plate holder. So far I like the way it drives better with out the extra weight hanging off the back, but I definitely have to work around it for cargo space. I wasn't all that concerned with departure angle. We'll see how it goes. I did manage to get it situated so I can still fold down the rear seats for access to all the crap I have stuffed in behind it. I removed the plastic tray in the very back and put the tire down in it at the angle so it sits as low as possible.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463337126.576759.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463337146.394128.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463337171.423710.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1463337305.644488.jpg

Last edited:
the loss of cargo space is definitely the part that i do not like about it. I never had an issue with my spare either but saw a lot of people have a new obsession with making spare tire protectors that go on the hitch or wherever.

The only people I know who are obsessed with spare tire protectors are ones still carrying their spare on the tailgate. Get your spare off the tailgate and onto a good aftermarket bumper tire carrier or body mounted carrier and you will be fine.

I paid $40 for my hitch protector. That was for the tubing my buddy used plus for him to weld it up. A lot easier way to go IMO than spend $600 and lose cargo space

The only people I know who are obsessed with spare tire protectors are ones still carrying their spare on the tailgate. Get your spare off the tailgate and onto a good aftermarket bumper tire carrier or body mounted carrier and you will be fine.

And people who have there tires mounted in the outside of there carrier like me lol

I have mine (37") just strapped in this way right now to try it out. I mainly did it because I liked the look with trek top and the tramp stamp license plate holder.

And, there's nothing wrong with doing something just because you like the way it looks.

So far I like the way it drives better with out the extra weight hanging off the back.

Ummm, with your spare in the back, the weight is still there.

but I definitely have to work around it for cargo space. I wasn't all that concerned with departure angle. We'll see how it goes. I did manage to get it situated so I can still fold down the rear seats for access to all the crap I have stuffed in behind it. I removed the plastic tray in the very back and put the tire down in it at the angle so it sits as low as possible.

I couldn't even begin to imagine losing all that much needed space just for looks but, to each their own.

A friend of mine wanted that carrier. I wouldn't want to loose the cargo space but that's me. I made one for him that uses rock hard clamps and some tubing I bent for the top to rest on and mounts to the cage. The bottom of tire rest on floor with a PS ratcheting tire strap holding it down.
That carrier is around 5 bills and we have around 100 in his. I'll see if I can get a pic

And, there's nothing wrong with doing something just because you like the way it looks.

Ummm, with your spare in the back, the weight is still there.

I couldn't even begin to imagine losing all that much needed space just for looks but, to each their own.

Yeah I am worried a little about the space for camping trips. I think the coolers are going to be in the back seat. Test run memorial weekend. I understand the weight is still there(except the swing out rack) but it is further forward over the axle instead of on a lever out back. It does feel a little different. A little firmer and less squirmy on the road. About the same difference in feel as removing the hard top is the best way I can explain it. I absolutely love the trek top by the way. Wish I had gotten one sooner. I might never put the hard top back on.

Here's an idea of what you can build for the a lot less money and same finish. I pretty much made a rock hard harness bar (and that may work but not sure how it lands against back seat) and this will double for a harness bar

Attachments

• 1463338528162.jpg
    1463338528162.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 1463338534508.jpg
    1463338534508.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 187
Here's an idea of what you can build for the a lot less money and same finish. I pretty much made a rock hard harness bar (and that may work but not sure how it lands against back seat) and this will double for a harness bar

It seems like I have seen some pics of that set up. If I do end up keeping it inside I will probably do something like that. I could probably use parts off the carrier I have and weld to the Rockhard bar. I am not completely sold on keeping yet though.

Top Bottom