Are C-Gussets Installed Correctly?

jpone

Looking for a little advice here please.

Had C--Gussets installed at a local 4x4 shop. Photos attached. Maybe someone can tell me if they are welded in correctly.

These show how they are welded across the top and at the bottom, but nothing along the sides.

Maybe it's correct, but I was wondering if they are meant to be welded vertically along the sides as well.

IMG_20180506_083414320.jpg IMG_20180506_083307662.jpg IMG_20180506_083344339.jpg IMG_20180506_083353119.jpg IMG_20180506_083410108.jpg IMG_20180506_083414320.jpg IMG_20180506_083307662.jpg IMG_20180506_083344339.jpg IMG_20180506_083353119.jpg IMG_20180506_083410108.jpg

Rynob79

I hope they paid you for that.... I’d be embarrassed to send something out the door like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Seriously, I’d make them grind that shit off and properly install new ones. Your lower (which is actually the upper) looks like it is hanging down below the C.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jpone

That’s probably the worst job I’ve ever seen.

They should look like this.

View attachment 300982

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks for the photo. Mine are clearly done wrong and poorly. Not a mechanic so would not even have crossed my mind they were this wrong! Just thought welds looked weak.

Here is the email I just sent the service manager;

"Ryan - You guys installed a Synergy axle assurance kit in October.
I have discovered the C-gussets were welded in UPSIDE DOWN!
I am obviously not a a mechanic, so only found out when someone who is, pointed it out this week.
Mine is on the left. Properly installed on the right.
I assume you guys guarantee your work is done properly and we can organize a time to fix this?
Please advise."

Will update this thread with their response.

Thank you!

zimm

Caught the Bug
Yeah it can be fixed- it's metal. If they offer to fix it for free, ehhh maybe take them up on it. But I would find a real welding or fab shop and put a new set on. My shop charged $85 for the welding. Looks like they laid them in (backwards) and zapped it with farm rod, hence the ugly welds. The only good news is the ball joints probably didn't get fried because there's no welding near them.

View attachment 300990

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
It also appears you already have rust under your welds. Just noticed you said this was done in Oct. So Might just be that the welds themselves are shit. 4WP, enough said. I would barely buy something from them, let alone have them touch my Jeep.

It won’t happen, but I’d have them refund for the install and get you new gussets. Then, find another shop to fix it.

jpone

It also appears you already have rust under your welds. Just noticed you said this was done in Oct. So Might just be that the welds themselves are shit. 4WP, enough said. I would barely buy something from them, let alone have them touch my Jeep.

It won’t happen, but I’d have them refund for the install and get you new gussets. Then, find another shop to fix it.

Also noticed the rust. It's atrocious work. Beyond bad. I am going to them to see what they'll do to make it right. Will update with their response. If they don't jump all over the chance to make this garbage right, they should definitely be blackballed, so this doesn't happen to anyone here at least.

I considered taking to a legit welder, but was concerned if they would know how to install. Guess I couldn't have done much worse.

Thanks for reply.

That was done by someone holding a welder for the first time, cant even tell if it was stick welded or mig'd by Ray Charles. The penetration on those welds is crap and will break if stressed.

tippedover

I didn’t screwed this bad but when I first started my build I got screwed by 4wheel parts too. The local 4wheel parts wouldn’t do anything. So I called and complained to their national customer service and sent them emails with photos. Long story short got my money back, hope that might help!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom