Are You Happy with Your EVO Bolt-On Coil Over Springs?

Are you happy with the spring rates that came on your EVO Bolt-On Coil Overs?

• Yes, I am competely satified with the spring rates I got out of the box.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • No. I wish they came with a softer spring rate

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • No. I wish they came with a heavier spring rate

Votes: 34 57.6%

• Total voters

Hammmerhead

View attachment 197931 might be an inch before contact

It looks like you have about 3 inches of full up and thats it? Maybe an inch before the hit? Man, now I see how you hear hits all the time. Are you clearing the tires good in the rear? It looks like you have the same preload in the rear as me. Any trimming in the rear tub tabs? Surely your tires are clearing good enough to go to a shorter bump in the rear or move the air stops up.

MOOK

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460418782.837861.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460418815.952274.jpg they clear just fine flexed. We cut along the line of the poison spyder fenders. Second photo is when we first installed the axles, fenders, 40x13.50 toyos with no rub

Hammmerhead

I can't see in your full photo if it already sits a little high in the rear or is level or high in the front. It looks good though. Unless Im forgetting something since you have the stops perfect, you're going to have to add some preload to the rear to get off the speed bumps. I didn't read in the thread, but are you running 200 coils on the top and bottom in the rear?

View attachment 197187 I'm trying to figure out my rear setup on these.. I have the 200/250 springs they come with but I feel they are to soft. I have poison spyder corners with aluminum fenders. LOD rear bumper an carrier 120lbs with 20x10 slabs an 40x1550 nitto MUDs. Pretty heavy set up. I'm at about 4.5in of lift. I'm constantly in my bumps while driving on the street. All 4 corners have 150psi, air bumps set at 75psi. I get a nice thud on almost any bump in the road in the rear. Any thoughts, suggestions on what spring weight to switch to? Right now I'm thinking 250/300. I'm just not trying to go above 4.5in of lift or be to stiff

So, I'm not an expert. My question is, from the looks of those grey sliders, you only get about an inch before they hit your timing rings. This is why I still run my King sliders. Thoughts?

utiadam

LOSER
So, I'm not an expert. My question is, from the looks of those grey sliders, you only get about an inch before they hit your timing rings. This is why I still run my King sliders. Thoughts?

I flipped my agm sliders upside down to get more adjustment from the timing rings.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460436778.321036.jpg
The timing ring is really high in the picture because it was taken right after i flipped the sliders.

MOOK

I can't see in your full photo if it already sits a little high in the rear or is level or high in the front. It looks good though. Unless Im forgetting something since you have the stops perfect, you're going to have to add some preload to the rear to get off the speed bumps. I didn't read in the thread, but are you running 200 coils on the top and bottom in the rear?

Yes it's completely level. I get a measure of 4.5in of lift in the front so I'm assuming it's slightly less in the rear the get the level stance. The coils are 200 top, 250 bottom. I'm thinking of switching to250/300

MOOK

I flipped my agm sliders upside down to get more adjustment from the timing rings.
View attachment 198050
The timing ring is really high in the picture because it was taken right after i flipped the sliders.

They do hit earlier than the original king sliders. Flipping them upside down is a great idea

Hammmerhead

Yes it's completely level. I get a measure of 4.5in of lift in the front so I'm assuming it's slightly less in the rear the get the level stance. The coils are 200 top, 250 bottom. I'm thinking of switching to250/300

How about adding a 300 on the bottom in the front, then just add a little more preload in the rear? At least you wont be pointed downhill all the time. The AGMs slides aren't quite as thick as stock Kings slides are they?

MOOK

How about adding a 300 on the bottom in the front, then just add a little more preload in the rear? At least you wont be pointed downhill all the time. The AGMs slides aren't quite as thick as stock Kings slides are they?

The front does really well. I haven't added much weight over stock on the front. Aluminum fenders, recon winch, synthetic rope, evo 1/4 pounder with no stinger. I probably have to much pre load in the front. I don't see a benefit to a 300 bottom in the front? It's been a couple years since seeing the difference in King over AGM sliders but I think the AGM's are thicker possibly

Last edited:

Hammmerhead

The front does really well. I haven't added much weight over stock on the front. Aluminum fenders, recon winch, synergetic rope, evo 1/4 pounder with no stinger. I probably have to much pre load in the front. I don't see a benefit to a 300 bottom in the front? It's been a couple years since seeing the difference in King over AGM sliders but I think the AGM's are thicker possibly

I just meant that the only way to get off the speed bumps in the rear and to keep them adjusted where they are, is more lift or preload in the rear. More lift in the rear may give you more rake than you want, which would mean going up a half inch or so in the front. How many inches are the front preloaded and are they 250 over 250 coils?

Hammmerhead

View attachment 198050

Is that going to affect how the slider rides with less coverage on the top of the shock body? Its seems like it would cause more friction with less coverage area on top, given that you have a lighter coil on top and its going t5o compress first? I don't know, its a good fix but just curious.

utiadam

LOSER
Is that going to affect how the slider rides with less coverage on the top of the shock body? Its seems like it would cause more friction with less coverage area on top, given that you have a lighter coil on top and its going t5o compress first? I don't know, its a good fix but just curious.

I think the rear the slider is completely covering the shock body whether full droop or fully compressed. The front if you have low lift height the slider on bottom is barely beyond the shock body. It still rides fine and no noticeable wear on the shock body. The agm sliders have a pretty tight tolerance on the inner part of the silicone slider.

Hammmerhead

I think the rear the slider is completely covering the shock body whether full droop or fully compressed. The front if you have low lift height the slider on bottom is barely beyond the shock body. It still rides fine and no noticeable wear on the shock body. The agm sliders have a pretty tight tolerance on the inner part of the silicone slider.

That is good to hear. Did you have a noise problem making you go with the AGM's?

MOOK

I just meant that the only way to get off the speed bumps in the rear and to keep them adjusted where they are, is more lift or preload in the rear. More lift in the rear may give you more rake than you want, which would mean going up a half inch or so in the front. How many inches are the front preloaded and are they 250 over 250 coils?

That is good to hear. Did you have a noise problem making you go with the AGM's?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460494135.488866.jpg it is more pre load than I'd like up front and yes 250/250 front. I switched to the AGM before installing the coilovers. Mainly because I read a lot of complaints of noise from the original King sliders. I think King now offers a better design on the sliders. Also a couple rare reports of shock body damage with the Kings. I've never had an issue with either using the AGM's

Hammmerhead

View attachment 198232 it is more pre load than I'd like up front and yes 250/250 front. I switched to the AGM before installing the coilovers. Mainly because I read a lot of complaints of noise from the original King sliders. I think King now offers a better design on the sliders. Also a couple rare reports of shock body damage with the Kings. I've never had an issue with either using the AGM's

Im right there with you on the preload and I just swapped to a 300 lower on the front coils. I was intending on dropping the preload a bit with the 300 install, but I got rid of "some" of a passenger side lean with them and called it good. Im looking forward to dropping to a 38 X 13.50 and bringing the preload down some. It seems the 40 X 15.50 Toyos just take too much to clear for my liking.

MOOK

Im right there with you on the preload and I just swapped to a 300 lower on the front coils. I was intending on dropping the preload a bit with the 300 install, but I got rid of "some" of a passenger side lean with them and called it good. Im looking forward to dropping to a 38 X 13.50 and bringing the preload down some. It seems the 40 X 15.50 Toyos just take too much to clear for my liking.

How is the ride quality with that change?

Top Bottom