Axle bent or knuckle

PrestonBarringer

My jeep is bouncing from line to line it's a nightmare to drive. When I replaced the ball joints is when this all started I took it to get aligned and my caster was way off. I fixed my caster by putting on adjustable control arms so I figured this would fix my swerving problem but it didn't so back to the alignment shop now my caster is perfect and my camber in my front passenger wheel is off. Both my rear wheels are toed towards the driver side and camber is off in them as well. The tire shop was clueless on what is causing it. I know adjustable ball joints can fix the front but that seems to me like just covering up the problem. I'm still running my stock Dana 30 in front and 35 in the rear. I was told by a 4x4 shop that my passenger side front axle is probably bent and that Dana 30s have a weak spot on the passenger side. I'm not running gussets like I should and as soon as this problem is resolved I will. Soo I need help what does everyone think axle bent or knuckle? Everything appears normal but that doesn't mean something isn't slightly bent.

WJCO

Meme King
Here's a picture of my print off

I would first visually inspect the ball joints to make sure they were done correctly if this first happened after that was done. Then I would either recheck the measurements myself or go to a 2nd shop just to confirm those #s are accurate. I've never seen rear alignment that bad on a solid axle. I'm wondering if they have a problem with their machine or if you really have something messed up.

PrestonBarringer

I've got two print offs one from before the control arms and one after both show the rear like that... I'm leaning towards my knuckle being bent but I'm not sure does anyone in detail what it takes to bend it back or replace it

WJCO

Meme King
I've got two print offs one from before the control arms and one after both show the rear like that... I'm leaning towards my knuckle being bent but I'm not sure does anyone in detail what it takes to bend it back or replace it

With both your rear wheel readings being bent like that, it looks like more than just one side to me. I would check both axle flanges. Jack up the jeep and spin the wheels by hand to see if they wobble. Also check all of your control arm mounts and arms in the rear to make sure nothing is bent there. That rear is way off on both sides, not sure what would cause that. You don't have knuckles in the rear either.

PrestonBarringer

Ok do yaw think that putting an adjustable ball joint is the right thing to do or just covering up a bigger issue? This is just an option for the front and I'll have to figure out what is going on with the rear.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
First you don't need an alignment after you do ball joints.

Second, adjust your tie rod to fix your toe.

Don't worry about the rear. The passenger side axle tube is not weak, the shop is retarded. The tubes are weak at the pumpkin. Fix the above two and weld on some C gussets. You can adjust your tie rod to allow proper tie wear.

PrestonBarringer

Maybe I don't understand what you're getting at but from what I understand adjusting my tie rod will not correct my camber. Please elaborate

WJCO

Meme King
Your LF camber is off. I would first find out what's causing that. I would use a measuring tape and check to see if the C is bent and compare measurements with the passenger side. Also check to see if your ball joints are worn on the LF.

As far as the rear goes, you got something way whacky going on there. Again use a tape measure and try to find out if something is bent or check the axle shafts as I suggested before. Usually though, a bent shaft isn't going to cause what you've got going on in the rear. Any recent accidents, hard trail hits back there or anything?

EDIT: Disregard ball joints, I forgot you just changed them.

I'm guessing whatever is messed up in the rear is causing your symptom of moving land to lane. Rear axle steer. Check ALL of your control arms and bushings back there, but that still doesn't explain the messed up toe or camber in the rear.

Last edited:

PrestonBarringer

Well I went airborne on a trail in November and didn't feel any effects but that's it... I measured the knuckles best I could with a tape and found my passenger is 1/8 inch different. It's my passenger side which has the camber issue. What all goes into replace a knuckle or can it be bent back down. The ball joints are brand new and seem fine... I looked under the rear and didn't find anything unusual I didn't have a chance to jack it up like you suggested earlier

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Actually your toe isn't but ok.

And I just realized you have an old TJ. I would saw if your axle is bent it is and has been fucked. Start planning on replacing.

WJCO

Meme King
Well I went airborne on a trail in November and didn't feel any effects but that's it...

Yeah, that'll fuck shit up.

I measured the knuckles best I could with a tape and found my passenger is 1/8 inch different. It's my passenger side which has the camber issue. What all goes into replace a knuckle or can it be bent back down.

The way I'm reading the printout, your LF is far worse than your RF. Either way, it is more likely that your axle C is damage opposed to your knuckle. You'll need to isolate the cause. I've heard of places bending the Cs back but don't know what kind of parts/labor is involved. I personally don't like the idea of bending components that are cast metal.

PrestonBarringer

Yeah, that'll fuck shit up.

The way I'm reading the printout, your LF is far worse than your RF. Either way, it is more likely that your axle C is damage opposed to your knuckle. You'll need to isolate the cause. I've heard of places bending the Cs back but don't know what kind of parts/labor is involved. I personally don't like the idea of bending components that are cast metal.

I really appreciate all your help I was at a road block

Top Bottom