Axle ? During Ball Joint Replacement

SoCalSunDevil

Hello,

This is my first post on the forum - I am in the middle of replacing my ball joints and have an issue with putting the axle back in. It was difficult to get out, but I managed. Issue now if putting it back in. I have attached a couple of pics for review, I seem to have an additional metal shield that is on the avle shaft in addition to the poly spacers and it is making it very difficult for me to puch the axle shaft in. Any feedback is appreciated

Shaft 1.jpeg Shaft 2.jpeg

jeeeep

Hooked
clean the splines off. you may have to rotate it back and forth to get it to seat.
Having the other side slightly off the ground makes it easier to rotate the inner gears

SoCalSunDevil

Will do, Thanks. I was trying a test fit and the first of the 3 seals is metal and has a lot of resistance (it doesnt seem correct) , the axle will barely slide into the tube. Had a lot of difficulty pulling it out.

jeeeep

Hooked
Will do, Thanks. I was trying a test fit and the first of the 3 seals is metal and has a lot of resistance (it doesnt seem correct) , the axle will barely slide into the tube. Had a lot of difficulty pulling it out.
take a flashlight and look in the axle tube, make sure you're not pushing a bunch of dirt further in.
you may have to rig something up to slide into the tube and pull the dirt out.

SoCalSunDevil

Definitely cleaning. One of the seals is now stuck on the outer edge of the axle shaft, not sure if thats correct? Was on the axle shaft when I took it out Seal 1.jpeg

WJCO

Meme King
Sometimes there's like 4 guide seals in there. Make sure they're all out of the tube. You can use a hooked coat hanger.

SoCalSunDevil

So the seal that was on the axle shaft when removed and is now stuck in the tube (which is preventing reinstalling the axle) I can take out and trhrow it out and be good?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So the seal that was on the axle shaft when removed and is now stuck in the tube (which is preventing reinstalling the axle) I can take out and trhrow it out and be good?
Its not a seal, its just a guide to keep the shaft centered so you don't push the seal out that is at the diff. Throw them away, no big deal.

Or as you say, trhrow.

jeeeep

Hooked
if it's one of these fiber washer type and it's not chewed up, I like to reuse them to help align the shaft to seat it.

68004090AA.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
As others said, throw it out. Or take it out and put it on the shaft and reuse. They do help but are not necessary.

Top Bottom