Barlow Road

jmedgar

After seeing the awesome posts about the Emigrant Trail trip I was inspired to go on my own history themed (mini) trip.

From Wikipedia:
The Barlow Road is a historic road in what is now Oregon. It was built in 1846 by Sam Barlow and Philip Foster, and served as the last overland segment of the Oregon Trail. Its construction allowed covered wagons to cross the Cascade Range and reach the Willamette Valley, which had previously been nearly impossible. Even so, it was by far the most harrowing 100 miles of the nearly 2,000-mile Oregon Trail.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403994168.078237.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403994220.306305.jpg
Some beautiful forest with lots of big Douglas Firs.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403994272.067436.jpg
Had to cut out one tree across the road. Chopped it about halfway then used the Jeep to "help" it along. Using an axe is always a good reminder of how easy we have it now!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1403994429.585929.jpg
A cool wooden bridge.

Not a real adventure by any means, but a fun way to spend a Saturday morning. Hope everyone else is enjoying the weekend!

So cool. That's a great looking trip. Probably the reason most of us got into jeeps in the first place. Got any more from the trip?

That is so cool!! I'm glad to hear our trip inspired you to get out and do some exploring on an awesome historic trail like this :thumb:

Top Bottom