best 2.5" lift for less than $1000

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, wanting a true "34.8" inch tire, you would go with a marketed 37 inch tire. The suspension companies say they will clear a marketed 35 inch tire which is a true "33" inch tire, not your "34.8" inch tire. You need a lift in the 3s because to achieve your wanted "34.8" inch tire, you will actually have to buy a marketed 37 inch tire.
After spending years reading and watching all of Mr. WOL's posts, I can suggest just taking his advice.

Well, in all fairness, you don't have to run a 37" tire with a 3" lift. In fact, there's nothing stopping you from running it with stock tires only, your Jeep will look like a roller skate :D

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to tire sizes and even more so with metric tire sizes. If you want to run a metric equivalent of a 35" tire, what you really need to be looking at is a 285 or at most, a 305. A 315 will have an actual size that is about 35" but again, that would be the same as an advertised 37" tire.

There's only one time where actual tire size should matter and that's when it comes to calibrating your speedometer. Of course, even then, the best way to do that is to measure from the center of the wheel to the ground and x2. This will be about an inch less than what you would get if you measured to the very highest point of your tire.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
So, wanting a true "34.8" inch tire, you would go with a marketed 37 inch tire. The suspension companies say they will clear a marketed 35 inch tire which is a true "33" inch tire, not your "34.8" inch tire. You need a lift in the 3s because to achieve your wanted "34.8" inch tire, you will actually have to buy a marketed 37 inch tire.
After spending years reading and watching all of Mr. WOL's posts, I can suggest just taking his advice.

I'm running a 2" aev spacer lift with 35x12.50x17. Everything is fine. As everyone is telling you, if you want to go 3" get ready to spend some money.

You'll need drivelines, adjustable control arms, exhaust modifications. These guys know what they're talking about.

Just saying.

Like they said listen to the man!

cody0707

LOL!! Don't get me wrong but, why are you here asking questions when you're not interested in hearing a thing I say and clearly have all the answers to everything anyway?

Again, EVERY MANUFACTURER of lift kits refer to ADVERTISED tire sizes and NOT "actual" tire sizes. When TF, RK, and AEV say their 2.5" will clear a 35" tire, they are referring to an ADVERTISED 35" tire which has an actual measurement of 33". Is there another language I should be using to help make this more clear for you because English doesn't seem to be working. :crazyeyes:

I just previously posted that i would downsize my search in tires to a 315/75r16. I also said I would look for an ADVERTISED 34.8" tire which again referred to the 315/75R16 size. I understand that mounted under the jeep this very well will be a 33" tire. I read your post in reference to advertised, please read my post where i asked about once again an advertised 34.8" aka 315/75r17.

I got it everything is in reference to advertised. Had it a few posts ago. So going with a again ADVERTISED 34.8" tire what 2.5" lift would you recommend?

Side note: I really enjoyed the JK Experience videos but if asking for information is going to be like this experience then there are plenty of other JK forums that I can go to if your so bothered by answering a question.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I just previously posted that i would downsize my search in tires to a 315/75r16. I also said I would look for an ADVERTISED 34.8" tire which again referred to the 315/75R16 size. I understand that mounted under the jeep this very well will be a 33" tire. I read your post in reference to advertised, please read my post where i asked about once again an advertised 34.8" aka 315/75r17.

I got it everything is in reference to advertised. Had it a few posts ago. So going with a again ADVERTISED 34.8" tire what 2.5" lift would you recommend?

Side note: I really enjoyed the JK Experience videos but if asking for information is going to be like this experience then there are plenty of other JK forums that I can go to if your so bothered by answering a question.

Not to be a dick, but Eddie started JK-Forum as well. You will not find any other forum that will give you help, provide mucho write-ups, and awesome videos. I am...was a member of several and they blow. Eddie and Cindy have given so much to the jeep community. So go.

Warebear

Not to be a dick, but Eddie started JK-Forum as well. You will not find any other forum that will give you help, provide mucho write-ups, and awesome videos. I am...was a member of several and they blow. Eddie and Cindy have given so much to the jeep community. So go.

True that.
Just noticed you're in SC? I'm visiting home near Charlotte now. Didn't see you in the East Coast Wayalifers thread, it's getting kinda exciting if you're down for a trip or two.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
True that.
Just noticed you're in SC? I'm visiting home near Charlotte now. Didn't see you in the East Coast Wayalifers thread, it's getting kinda exciting if you're down for a trip or two.

LOL! I have once again started over moved to the foothills of North Carolina where I can see the mountains near Marion. Quite a few members down here. One great guy is Joe "All American Infidel" in Columbia. Would be awesome to set something up sometime with some Wayalifers even if it was a suds n grub! Need to get into that thread as well.

I work with a fellow jeeper from VA.

Warebear

LOL! I have once again started over moved to the foothills of North Carolina where I can see the mountains. Quite a few members down here. One great guy is Joe "All American Infidel" in Columbia. Would be awesome to set something up sometime with some Wayalifers even if it was a suds n grub! Need to get into that thread as well.

Oh very nice. For sure I would be into a meet. I am stationed in norfolk, va but I'll keep an eye out for any meets going on back here at home.

Warebear

Well, in all fairness, you don't have to run a 37" tire with a 3" lift. In fact, there's nothing stopping you from running it with stock tires only, your Jeep will look like a roller skate :D

I think there's a lot of misunderstanding when it comes to tire sizes and even more so with metric tire sizes. If you want to run a metric equivalent of a 35" tire, what you really need to be looking at is a 285 or at most, a 305. A 315 will have an actual size that is about 35" but again, that would be the same as an advertised 37" tire.

There's only one time where actual tire size should matter and that's when it comes to calibrating your speedometer. Of course, even then, the best way to do that is to measure from the center of the wheel to the ground and x2. This will be about an inch less than what you would get if you measured to the very highest point of your tire.

So just out if curiosity, what is the actual size of your 40" tires?

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug

Woah.....Relax there Cody no need to cop an attitude......WOL answered your question(s) and even added more info on top of that.......Go back and reread what he explained (pretty clearly I might add) in his posts to you.......He suggested the 3" Rancho......also a number of other mods you may want to consider adding to that.........if that's not enough of an answer I dont know what else you want him to tell you........

Now then again if you don't like the answers then feel free to leave and seek another answer somewheres else........trust me when I say this Cody.......no shits will be given if you do :grayno:

~Woodrow~

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:sigh: Ummm, I'll try this yet again. Shopping for metric tires IS NOT THE SAME AS shopping for standard inch based tires. To put it simply, if you are wanting a 315, that is NOT the same as wanting an advertised 35" tire. Here's another way to look at it, back when I first got my 2007 JK, I wanted to run 35" tires and the closest metric equivalent to that was a metric 305 - both have an actual measurement of about 33". On my XJ that I have now, I wanted to run slightly smaller than 35" tires and so I decided to get a set of 285's. If I wanted to run a small set of 37's, I would do that with a set of 315's. Are you following me yet? YOU are still looking at actual tire sizes when you should be look at the metric equivalent of an inch based tire.

NO YOU HAVEN'T gotten anything and still don't. A metric 315 tire has an actual measurement of 34.8" but it's inch based equivalent is closer to an advertised 37" tire. For this, I would recommend a true 3" lift. Now, if you don't mind a stiff ride, there are a lot of 2.5" coil lifts that will yield way more than 3" of lift but then, if you go that route, there are a host of things you should plan on getting with it as well.

:cheesy: Are you kidding me? By all means, please don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave :standing wave:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So just out if curiosity, what is the actual size of your 40" tires?

Brand new, about 38" and trust me, that's a tall 40" tire. My tires are quite worn and in need of replacing soon but, I just went out to the garage to take a current measurement and they only come up to about 37.5".

ALL TIRES have an actual measurement that is SMALLER than what is written on the sidewall. When shopping for metric tires, people NEED to be looking at their inch size equivalent and NOT their actual tire size.

Warebear

Brand new, about 38" and trust me, that's a tall 40" tire. My tires are quite worn and in need of replacing soon but, I just went out to the garage to take a current measurement and they only come up to about 37.5".

ALL TIRES have an actual measurement that is SMALLER than what is written on the sidewall. When shopping for metric tires, people NEED to be looking at their inch size equivalent and NOT their actual tire size.

Sweetness. Thanks for checking. One day, one day. Learn something new every day.

jmatta33

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1419117822.103842.jpg

when you ask a question and get an answer then respond with a "well the manufacturer says this..." that is a clear sign you ARE NOT recieving the information rather you are questioning Eddie as if you know more than he does. Why ask questions if you already have the information from manufacturers advertising? I mean manufacturers dont ever put out inaccurate information to sell you a product right?

Clem319

I have a headache from reading that. Just get whatever tires you want dude. I don't think anyone is gonna change your mind.

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Well i learned something from this. I knew inch sized tires ran small, but didnt realize they run that small. I didn't realize a 315 metric was closer to a small 37". Maybe I need to pay more attention. :)

Warebear

Well i learned something from this. I knew inch sized tires ran small, but didnt realize they run that small. I didn't realize a 315 metric was closer to a small 37". Maybe I need to pay more attention. :)

Ha same here. I just wish I could hit the trails with these experienced guys, that would learn me real good.

Top Bottom