Best motor oil/filter

This is like asking if Chevy or Ford is better....you'll never get a consistent opinion.

I used to work for an Major oil company and we had a research center and there are numbers around viscosity, break down, lubrication, etc. You can find comparisons, just gotta look. For example they use this machine that has 2 bearings and they put a drop of oil on it and spin them while putting pressure on the bearings. They measure how much pressure it takes to stop the bearings. One thing I do remember was that synthetic always destroyed dino oil in performance.

I have used Amsoil for about 15 years. You won't notice any performance issues, but longevity has its advantages. My Dodge Ram now has almost 500,000 miles on it while using Amsoil.

I used to test the oil and many times the results came back stating the oil viscosity was still good after using it for more than 10,000 miles.

I have used Amsoil for about 15 years. You won't notice any performance issues, but longevity has its advantages. My Dodge Ram now has almost 500,000 miles on it while using Amsoil.

I used to test the oil and many times the results came back stating the oil viscosity was still good after using it for more than 10,000 miles.

I do the same thing with the Mobile1 extended performance. Black stone wants me to try 15,000 miles next time on our maxima. I used to use AMSoil in my truck but got lazy. I can pick up the Mobile1 at Wal-mart anytime.

Any of you guys who change your own oil still under warranty? Do you just keep receipts and log how many miles you changed it at?

I did one round of Pennzoil Platinum once at 2500 miles to change the break in oil out. Then went to Royal Purple at 13000. I also noticed that when I switched to RP, my instead of the 10% mileage gain, I went from ~18.5 to ~16.5 a significant loss... I'll be moving to another oil next change.

PS> Are Royal Purple diff lubes better? or others?

I did one round of Pennzoil Platinum once at 2500 miles to change the break in oil out. Then went to Royal Purple at 13000. I also noticed that when I switched to RP, my instead of the 10% mileage gain, I went from ~18.5 to ~16.5 a significant loss... I'll be moving to another oil next change.

PS> Are Royal Purple diff lubes better? or others?

Why would your motor oil make your gas mileage go down 2 mpg? That's a lot

Brad Penn oil is by far the best motor oil you can run. I've run the stuff in high HP GTO's, MOPAR's, 4x4's, and it just doesn't break down under high heat and RPM's like the others do. I run 20/50 Green oil in a 1968 Dodge Dart 340 Wedge and full synthetic 5/30 in the 3.6 JKUR.

This is my oil test result sheet. I'm going to send in the next sample too. This was at 13k miles. I believe I was using mobile 1 full synthetic. I'm just under 36k now and I've consistently done oil changes every 3k. I know it's very early for synthetic but I'm going to keep this routine.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1428977174.506835.jpg

I was geeking out on oil a while back and found the website for bob is the oil guy. Not posting the link for TOS, but a google search will provide more info and opinion than you can shake a oil stick at.

I was geeking out on oil a while back and found the website for bob is the oil guy. Not posting the link for TOS, but a google search will provide more info and opinion than you can shake a oil stick at.

That site is a rabbit hole...

I've been down that hole and back. Like stated above. My oil and change intervals have worked for ME thus far, so I'm not changing things up this late into the game.

OP this subject can drive you insane. Trust me. Use what makes YOU comfortable.

Last edited:
This is my oil test result sheet. I'm going to send in the next sample too. This was at 13k miles. I believe I was using mobile 1 full synthetic. I'm just under 36k now and I've consistently done oil changes every 3k. I know it's very early for synthetic but I'm going to keep this routine.
View attachment 137222

That place is right here in town so it is really convenient to do this, I had no idea they tested oil from all over the country

Top Bottom