Brakes randomly locking up!

J'Sun

Just bought my first Jeep. Also new to the WAYALIFE. First off glad to be part of the group! I have a question. I have an 09 JKU Sahara. The traction control light, ABS and the ESP/BAS light all came on at the same time. On initial start up the brakes catch twice and then it seems ok afterwards. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
I read somewhere that it may be the wheel bearings??
Thanks in advance!

J'Sun

Just bought my first Jeep. Also new to the WAYALIFE. First off glad to be part of the group! I have a question. I have an 09 JKU Sahara. The traction control light, ABS and the ESP/BAS light all came on at the same time. On initial start up the brakes catch twice and then it seems ok afterwards. Could anyone point me in the right direction?
I read somewhere that it may be the wheel bearings??
Thanks in advance!

J'Sun

Welcome!

Is your steering wheel centered?

I have an 08 that had an issue with front passenger side caliper. Had nothing to do with lift or center of steering wheel. Caliper would not release properly and caused abs light to come on. Replaced caliper and later front brake lines. Fixed the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have an 08 that had an issue with front passenger side caliper. Had nothing to do with lift or center of steering wheel. Caliper would not release properly and caused abs light to come on. Replaced caliper and later front brake lines. Fixed the problem.

I'll check the pads to see if they're wearing evenly. Maybe that'll let me know caliper is sticking?

J'Sun

As said above with the steering wheel not aligned it will trigger the abs to kick in. Is it coming from the front or the rear?

Last edited:
As mentioned, if you're steering wheel is off a bit, your computer will think you're in a slide and will activate your ABS.

Ok, quick update guys and I greatly appreciate your insight and direction on this.
I checked everything I could and the left front caliper was sticking and had worn the brakes down. I've replaced the caliper and pads and the problem seems to be fixed.

Question: Do you think the brake lines need to be replaced?

J'Sun

Ok, quick update guys and I greatly appreciate your insight and direction on this.
I checked everything I could and the left front caliper was sticking and had worn the brakes down. I've replaced the caliper and pads and the problem seems to be fixed.

Question: Do you think the brake lines need to be replaced?

J'Sun

Im no professional, but i would say its safe to assume your lines are okay as long as you don't see any noticeable pinches

I have noticed it slightly pulls to the left and the word Jeep on the steering wheel is tilted slightly when I line the wheels up straight.

J'Sun

You definitely need to realign your steering wheel. It's pretty easy to do. If your Jeep is going straight, but thinks your turning it's going to throw ESP on.

Unless the caliper fixed this too.

Realignment is definitely the next thing on the agenda. The ESP light is still on, so we'll see what happens when I get that fixed. Hopefully it's pretty easy and doesn't keep me down long. I've not been on the trails in a couple of weeks.

J'Sun

Realignment is definitely the next thing on the agenda. The ESP light is still on, so we'll see what happens when I get that fixed. Hopefully it's pretty easy and doesn't keep me down long. I've not been on the trails in a couple of weeks.

J'Sun

Rear or front brakes locking up? Any oil on your wheels or rotor?

Top Bottom