Bump Steer / DW Problems

koasta11

One of those might work on my truck but on my jeep I have 3/16" between my wheel (17" raceline) and my calipers

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
One of those might work on my truck but on my jeep I have 3/16" between my wheel (17" raceline) and my calipers

There are setups with even less clearance that have no issues. I highly doubt that severe of DW is caused by 40" Toyo MTs and Racelines.

koasta11

Well if you calculate 3/16 and you subtract 2/16 for the 1/2 oz of the weight that leaves you 1/16 which is 2/32nds which to me is very small I don't know how you can go smaller than that I wouldn't want to.

And as far as severe I wouldn't go that far there were 2 bumps that I know I could hit that would cause it.

They come out of the factory with a stabilizer and the tires are only what 33" or 32" and I was running 40s with nothing.

I am definitely going to keep an eye on it and I am going to get a psc but I am just very happy it's gone.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well if you calculate 3/16 and you subtract 2/16 for the 1/2 oz of the weight that leaves you 1/16 which is 2/32nds which to me is very small I don't know how you can go smaller than that I wouldn't want to.

And as far as severe I wouldn't go that far there were 2 bumps that I know I could hit that would cause it.

They come out of the factory with a stabilizer and the tires are only what 33" or 32" and I was running 40s with nothing.

I am definitely going to keep an eye on it and I am going to get a psc but I am just very happy it's gone.

The stabilizer doesn't prevent death wobble. If you have death wobble you have other issues. Tire size doesn't matter.

If you get death wobble once you have death wobble. Doesn't matter if it's severe or not. Death wobble is death wobble.

ttfhell

The stabilizer doesn't prevent death wobble. If you have death wobble you have other issues. Tire size doesn't matter.

If you get death wobble once you have death wobble. Doesn't matter if it's severe or not. Death wobble is death wobble.

What is death wobble? I don't have a stabilizer.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug

Don't you dare speak logic.

koasta11

I am not a mechanic I am a builder I pretty much live my life on common sense.

Correct me if I am wrong but the steering stabilizer is supposed to stabilize your front end correct?

I have checked everything and torqued everything many times my track bar and my drag link were within .02 degrees I got my tires balanced 3 times road forced the last time cost me a $160.00 bucks ouch!

But I will tell you that when I was driving down the road my gut feeling was it was in the tires the way the front end felt it just felt like it needed something to hold it together.

After I put the stabilizer on it just changed the whole dynamic of the jeep from 10 mph to 90 it just runs smooth it rides way better than stock and I feel like I can hit anything no problem. Now I know why I got coilovers I love them.

Maybe in a week I will hit a bump and I will get death wobble again I hope not but right now I am stoked :clap2:

WJCO

Meme King
Here's how I fixed mine. I left the stabilizer on for about a year and was convinced it was fixed. Then it started to come back, wasn't as bad because the stabilizer absorbed it, but I could tell something wasn't right. At that point my track bar lower bolt had come loose (turns out it was seized from rust and not properly torquing, hole was fine). So replaced the bolt and it was fixed. Even with the stabilizer still on, I can feel a huge difference with the new bolt.

I'm telling you this because even with your stabilizer bandaid, whatever part is causing your DW will eventually get worse. So eventually you'll find it when it gets really bad. But leave the stabilizer on at that point. It keeps the Jeep steering smooth and will be the second best thing you've ever felt.

WJCO

Meme King
I am not a mechanic I am a builder I pretty much live my life on common sense.

Correct me if I am wrong but the steering stabilizer is supposed to stabilize your front end correct?

I have checked everything and torqued everything many times my track bar and my drag link were within .02 degrees I got my tires balanced 3 times road forced the last time cost me a $160.00 bucks ouch!

But I will tell you that when I was driving down the road my gut feeling was it was in the tires the way the front end felt it just felt like it needed something to hold it together.

After I put the stabilizer on it just changed the whole dynamic of the jeep from 10 mph to 90 it just runs smooth it rides way better than stock and I feel like I can hit anything no problem. Now I know why I got coilovers I love them.

Maybe in a week I will hit a bump and I will get death wobble again I hope not but right now I am stoked :clap2:

I quoted almost the exact same thing that you just did in another JeepForum about a year ago. And I was wrong. Steering stabilizers for DW are like a girl you shouldn't be sleeping with. Feels great at first, but bites you in the ass later.

Top Bottom