Bushwacker flat fender flares

JohnnyD

I agree with the stock fenders suggestion. They are super bendy on the trail. I have the bushwackers and while a good product if I had a second chance I would've cut the stocks

JLSilerJK

I want to trim mine- has anyone done this in IL or around? Also has anyone been pulled over for not having the yellow light in the front fender light?

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I want to trim mine- has anyone done this in IL or around? Also has anyone been pulled over for not having the yellow light in the front fender light?

Just go to AutoZone or orileys and get a ¾" led amber light to replace the factory.

Attachments

• 1434653949069.jpg
    1434653949069.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 165

jeffro

Thank you guys, for the info, insight, and hindsight, I was planning on the BW's but after reading everyone's post and the pictures. I now know what I'm doing to my fenders. That's why I like it here. :)

Now I can tell the wife, I just saved about 700 dollars, just like she tells me. :)

olram30

I just messaged an electric guy about this, Thanks! Is there some drilling involved?

I just enlarged the already existing hole to ¾" and soldered the wires to the old plug off the old light. Really easy. Make sure they are hooked up correctly before soldering.

olram30

From personal experience, I would cut the stock fenders if I could do it all over. Just spent a couple of hours pulling my right front fender out after dropping off a small ledge and hitting my Genright aluminum fender onto a rock during the JKX Middle America. Mel looked at me with this look of sorrow, then said there is nothing like the stock fenders. I couldn't agree more right now especially after seeing Evolander drop off the same small rock and hit the plastic MCE fender, which bent instead of pushing the sheet metal in like on mine. I love the look of the steel or aluminum flat fenders, but it does more harm than good. Just make an informed decision.

sounds accurate. thanks for the real life input.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
From personal experience, I would cut the stock fenders if I could do it all over. Just spent a couple of hours pulling my right front fender out after dropping off a small ledge and hitting my Genright aluminum fender onto a rock during the JKX Middle America. Mel looked at me with this look of sorrow, then said there is nothing like the stock fenders. I couldn't agree more right now especially after seeing Evolander drop off the same small rock and hit the plastic MCE fender, which bent instead of pushing the sheet metal in like on mine. I love the look of the steel or aluminum flat fenders, but it does more harm than good. Just make an informed decision.

Thank you for posting this! People ask me all the time why I don't run tube fenders and when I tell them what I have personally seen, they just accuse me of being a hater because I didn't get "free" parts. Fact of the matter is, I have seen tube fenders CAUSE damage to the JK body time and time again over the last 8 years and purposefully run trimmed factory fenders because of it.

Sessoms14X

Quick question for anyone with trimmed painted factory fenders... How's the paint holding up after cutting? I haven't trimmed mine yet but the paint on the corners of my fenders is peeling/flaking off. Also it started doing this before I drove it off road (mudding or gravel roads)

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Quick question for anyone with trimmed painted factory fenders... How's the paint holding up after cutting? I haven't trimmed mine yet but the paint on the corners of my fenders is peeling/flaking off. Also it started doing this before I drove it off road (mudding or gravel roads)

Russ has done this, last time I saw, it held up great except when the paint side scrapes a rock, but other than that, they look clean, and he wheels pretty hard

kpig

Thank you for posting this! People ask me all the time why I don't run tube fenders and when I tell them what I have personally seen, they just accuse me of being a hater because I didn't get "free" parts. Fact of the matter is, I have seen tube fenders CAUSE damage to the JK body time and time again over the last 8 years and purposefully run trimmed factory fenders because of it.

Yup, love the look but now the damaged sheet metal looks worse.

To the OP: I love the look, so if looks is what you are after, go for it. If you will be doing any significant wheeling, it may not be worth it. Your choice, just sharing some thoughts to help you spend your hard earned money.

Last edited:

Dubaibentzen

I am also thinking of either cutting my stock white fender flares or getting the Bushwacker. Is it possibly to paint the BW to the same white colour as the stock fenders? Or are they made of a special type of plastic that would make it difficult? Cutting would definitely be better for the budget...

I am also thinking of either cutting my stock white fender flares or getting the Bushwacker. Is it possibly to paint the BW to the same white colour as the stock fenders? Or are they made of a special type of plastic that would make it difficult? Cutting would definitely be better for the budget...

I trimmed my white oem fenders. Came out perfect. 1434697559754.jpg .

Top Bottom