California HWY 89 Closed Around Emerald Bay - 30 FEET of SNOW in Places!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just saw the following article in my local news feed and apparently, a 4 miles section of Highway 89 that goes around Emerald Bay up in Lake Tahoe is still closed. Apparently, there's as much as 30 feet of snow and debris in some locations and they're not even sure if they'll be able to clear it before the next storm. :crazyeyes:

Highway 89 around Emerald Bay at Lake Tahoe remains closed
as Caltrans digs out 30 feet of snow

89337-digging_emerald_bay.jpg

The four-mile section of California Highway 89 around the iconic Emerald Bay at Lake Tahoe remains closed after recent storms dumped snow on Lake Tahoe. Caltrans maintenance staff have begun the process of clearing the roadway which has up to 30 feet of snow in some locations as well as debris from last week's storm.

Motorists should expect to take other roads for at least the near future as another series of storms is scheduled to hit the Lake Tahoe Basin starting Wednesday. The state highway won't be ready to open until a stretch of dry weather comes to Lake Tahoe, allowing workers to safely clear the area. Extended forecasts do show a high pressure system building up next week in the Pacific which could bring that dry weather.

Motorists needing to travel from the South Shore of Lake Tahoe to the North or West Shore or vice versa will need to use U.S. Highway 50 and Highway 28.

The National Weather Service is forecasting several new feet of snow over the Echo (Highway 50) and Donner (Interstate 80) mountain passes from three upcoming storms, with the first to hit on Wednesday and the last to arrive Sunday into Monday.

http://carsonnow.org/story/01/17/20...oe-remains-closed-caltrans-digs-out-30-feet-s

benatc1

Hooked
thats crazy that there is so much snow over there, probably only going to get worse today..I have to go to South Lake Saturday, wonder if this next storm will live up to the hype!!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
thats crazy that there is so much snow over there, probably only going to get worse today..I have to go to South Lake Saturday, wonder if this next storm will live up to the hype!!

Gonna run the Rubicon? :cheesy:

WJCO

Meme King
Crazy. We have one road like that and they just close it for the winter. It's fun to go in the spring though with walls of snow next to you.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Crazy. We have one road like that and they just close it for the winter. It's fun to go in the spring though with walls of snow next to you.

Always awesome to see stuff like that :yup:

Saw that on KOLO 8 this morning. Crazy. The snowpack this year is going to be awesome.

If this keeps up, we'll be snow wheeling well into summer. :crazyeyes:

Just saw that. It crazy.
On another note 6 mile canyon just reopened today.

Awesome! Now we have 2 ways to get up to Virginia City again :cool:

TRLJNKY

30 ft? Holy crap! Lol got me thinking those rigs stuck on the Rubicon just may not be found for a couple thousand years after our mini ice age up here. Some dude on a hover Jeep is going to find them perfectly preserved someday

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

WJCO

Meme King
30 ft? Holy crap! Lol got me thinking those rigs stuck on the Rubicon just may not be found for a couple thousand years after our mini ice age up here. Some dude on a hover Jeep is going to find them perfectly preserved someday

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

2x18-Prehistoric-Ice-Man-south-park-20401249-500-375.jpg ...........

ob_tj

Damn 30 feet of snow.. that is crazy. I will be headed up to Tahoe here in the next couple of weeks!

TOPLESS

Caught the Bug
Thats crazy! Michigan used to be called "the winter wonder land". Past 20 plus winters have been a lot of rain and no sun!

Brute

Hooked
They close the road on the north shore of Oahu on rare occasion when Waimea Bay is breaking 20 ft plus (measured Hawaiian style, from the back of the wave...60 ft face)...this only happens every couple winters, then the waves are so big they go through the parking lot and onto the road...

But 30 feet of snow is a serious crap load of snow...

Top Bottom