Can anyone explain to me the dana system?

ltwilkins

I don't get the difference between the different Dana numbers. What would my 84 cj with a five speed have?

I cant tell u the exact correlation of what the Dana 44 means in terms of inches or cm the ring and pinion is. I can tell u that the smaller the number (i.e. a Dana 30) will be smaller in diameter than a larger one (i.e. Dana 60). Where this comes into play the most is gear ratio at the differential.

If u are running a ratio of say 3.something the teeth will be less in number and thicker which grants you more strength. A ratio of 5.38 will make the teeth "taller" or thinner which will be compromising their strength.

When the ring is larger or bigger number, it allows more surface area for a ratio such as 5.38 to be placed on and giving them more strength by allowing them to be thicker.

Hope this helps in some way, and isn't too confusing.

Oh, I should mention that these are the diameters of each of the axles:

Dana 30 = 7.125″
Dana 35 = 7.56″
Dana 44 = 8.50″
AMC 20 = 8.875"
Dana 60 = 9.75"

Oh, I should mention that these are the diameters of each of the axles:

Dana 30 = 7.125″
Dana 35 = 7.56″
Dana 44 = 8.50″
AMC 20 = 8.875"
Dana 60 = 9.75"

Will other brands be equal to this?

Such as the currie rock jock60 or a dynatrac prorock44, or will they be a different size all together?

Will other brands be equal to this?

Such as the currie rock jock60 or a dynatrac prorock44, or will they be a different size all together?

Yes, the R&P in all of them will be exactly the same. The only difference you'll see is in housing design, tube thickness, end forgings and diff covers.

Top Bottom