Chasing noise

trichardson1979

I have a 2010 jk rubicon that was recently regeared to 5.13. I'm trying to chase down a noise that I noticed after the gears were changed. The pattern was good. Backlash, pinion and carrier preload are in spec. I can't recall the noise before, probably didn't pay much attention though. Noise starts softly and increases with speed. Odd noises on decel. I'm baffled as pinion preload is in spec. What do y'all think? I have a video but too large to upload. I don't think its coming from gears. Thanks

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I have a 2010 jk rubicon that was recently regeared to 5.13. I'm trying to chase down a noise that I noticed after the gears were changed. The pattern was good. Backlash, pinion and carrier preload are in spec. I can't recall the noise before, probably didn't pay much attention though. Noise starts softly and increases with speed. Odd noises on decel. I'm baffled as pinion preload is in spec. What do y'all think? I have a video but too large to upload. I don't think its coming from gears. Thanks
Do you have any photos after applying gear marking compound? Maybe the gears themselves are not meshing correctly? What kind of pattern are you seeing?

Sometimes the noise is normal and the gears will wear in, but it could be indicating a bigger problem in which your gears might not be wearing together properly. I would discuss with the shop that did the work and ask them if they have any more information for you. I would be more concerned about gear temperature. Are you get any excessive heat that indicates excessive rubbing?

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
It has the stock driveshaft with control arms adjusting pinion angle. I did the install so I know all the details. Pattern was confirmed good by 20 year diff builder.
I would think that you are fine then. The photo, for some reason, only shows about 2 teeth, and from what I can tell, it looks like a good pattern to me.

As for the noise, all I can say is, welcome to the wonderful world of Jeeping.

WJCO

Meme King
Pinion preload is 25 inch lbs. Guess that means bearing, which sucks because they only have 1500ish miles on them.
Are you measuring it with the carrier still installed? If so, that number will be different than if you had the carrier removed.

BaddestCross

If thats the case, how am I able to achieve proper pinion preload without crushing the sleeve?
Maybe I'm not understanding something... It's called a crush sleeve because it needs to get crushed. If you're not crushing it and torquing it down, your pinion is gonna be sloppy and loose.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Maybe I'm not understanding something... It's called a crush sleeve because it needs to get crushed. If you're not crushing it and torquing it down, your pinion is gonna be sloppy and loose.
That plus, as he says, “This same noise has happened on 2 different sets of gears.” So obviously something is wrong with the process.

Top Bottom