Chatter when shifting...maybe clutch?

joshuaj21

Oh, looking at either AMS clutch kit (rock auto) or stage 1 spec. Nothing fancy but more durable would be nice...

joshuaj21

New clutch goes in tomorrow. Picked up an AMS OEM replacement from Rock Auto (second time). The first one I received from them had two chunks taken out of the clutch disc so I sent it back and got the second one about a week ago. Wish me luck!

joshuaj21

Ok, the new clutch is in... Started the install on Wednesday at the base hobby shop, but due to limited working hours, only got as far as removing the tranny the first day. Yesterday, got to clean out the bell housing, removed old clutch disc, pressure plate, clutch fork, TOB, and the teflon fork bolt, and all the grease. By far, the longest part was removing the damn exhaust manifold... The clips they put over square nuts seem to be totally pointless once they are rusted. The folds all snapped off when trying to bend them down, so put lactate on them today. Hopefully that helps. Will post pics of the TOB in a minute, but other than a slight groove on the top, it looks totally fine. I was less than thrilled to see this. The stealership informed me that my symptoms were definitely due to the TOB going bad. Well, depending on the feedback I get as I have nothing to compare it to, I will be taking this back to the dealership and making them replace my exhaust manifold as that was the only other thing they could find as a possibility. Anyway, today put the tranny back in, and wouldn't you know it, went in like a glove! What a relief! Took about 3 hours from start to finish, but torquing the driveshaft bolts was a MF. Who knew 15 ft/lb could be so difficult!! Everything works, sounds good, other than the smell of a new clutch and some slight smoke from the protective film crap on the new clutch, but shifts solid and everything is just as it should be. I think the hardest part was getting the exhaust lined up with the tranny jack in the way, but figured a way forward and went with it. Whatever, it worked and I didn't break anything else in the process, lol.

joshuaj21

Ok here is the TOB. Tell me, please, does this look bad to anyone?

Attachments

• 1437788885144.jpg
    1437788885144.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 1437788946034.jpg
    1437788946034.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom