"Cheap" Warn vs "Top end" Smittybilt winch questions

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Myself and two friends have the x20 and the wireless stopped working on all three. The red on/off switch is the culprit. Also fyi, your remote still works when wired; it's just the wireless that quits. The fix was simple. I just opened the box and bypassed that switch and haven't had another issue to speak of. Smittybilt gets a lot of hate on the forums but I really don't understand it. I have seen a warn overheat during a recovery where the x20 was able to pull the jeep out no problem. I haven't seen mine overheat yet and it has recovered jeeps stuck in thick mud up to the frame. Warn is great. No doubt about it. I just personally think a big portion of the price tag is the name. If I were buying another winch today, I would be ordering the X20 again. It's not that I can't afford the Warn, I just don't see the need to overspend (IMHO).

Encouraging people to buy safety equipment that's made in American and has a proven track record of working time and time again over one that is made in China and one that I have personally seen fail time and time again is far from what I would call "hate". As it has been noted, WARN does make a line of winches that are made in China and I would not recommend them for the same reasons. Of course, I'm sure the wheeling in Florida is badass and I'm just a mall crawler who's new to this Jeep thing so, people can take what I have to say for what it's worth.

Journeyman

This thread reminds me of the book the monkey wrench gang by Edward Abbey.
A part where one of the gang is running from the law in his jeep and get corner at a 100' cliff that leads into a wash he escapes his pursuers by repelling/winching his jeep down. When telling the story later and asked about his winch and oh my gosh it could handle the 3500 lbs of jeep. He replied it's a good winch, a warn...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

whatsupdoc2day

OK this is where the guy who visited the Oregon plant comes back in to put an additional .02 cents in again...and say he has used the restroom in the warn place and their toilet paper was made by them....lol

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)

SDG

Caught the Bug
Encouraging people to buy safety equipment that's made in American and has a proven track record of working time and time again over one that is made in China and one that I have personally seen fail time and time again is far from what I would call "hate". As it has been noted, WARN does make a line of winches that are made in China and I would not recommend them for the same reasons. Of course, I'm sure the wheeling in Florida is badass and I'm just a mall crawler who's new to this Jeep thing so, people can take what I have to say for what it's worth.
But what about wiring? I am doing my PhD based upon 12v systems, and you MUST isolate the circuit and have a 15' rip cord to protect yourself!

Another funny thing is see is people may but a good winch, but buy cheapo D-rings. I run chineseium D rings on my synthetic line so that if the shackle breaks before the synthetic line it can turn into a 5lb projectile!

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
OK this is where the guy who visited the Oregon plant comes back in to put an additional .02 cents in again...and say he has used the restroom in the warn place and their toilet paper was made by them....lol

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)

This 'guy' you're referring to is the owner of the forum and has video footage to back it up. Rather than spouting off how much of a Smittybilt fan you are, you should take the time and watch the video, and maybe you would actually see that the actual metal stock that the drums are made from and learn something.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)

Ok this is where some guy on the internet claims he knows that WARN winches are Chinese. Says that he has irrefutable evidence in the form of other internet users who added their .02 cents and claim that all WARN winches are Chinese. [emoji849]

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)

Do you even read what you post? You are seriously all over the place, with stupid stuff. By the way, use of this forum is a privilege provided you, by the man who visited the Warn plant.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

whatsupdoc2day

Its a free world...1st amendment rights. 1) I am not a Smitty fan...2) parts are actually made in Mexico and China 3) I love a good argument! 4) I would own a warn if they were cheaper and I was having a problem with Smitty, Ramsey... Or any. Thanks for your input.

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Its a free world...1st amendment rights. 1) I am not a Smitty fan...2) parts are actually made in Mexico and China 3) I love a good argument! 4) I would own a warn if they were cheaper and I was having a problem with Smitty, Ramsey... Or any. Thanks for your input.

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)

Sorry to break the news to you, but your "1st amendment rights" don't apply on a private forum. (It's also not a free world...but that is an entirely different issue.)

whatsupdoc2day

Utube has several...internet is free searches on it too! I can get several references if needed but easy to look up.

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)

whatsupdoc2day

www.dovercorporation.com)*

To comply with automotive industry standards, Warn obtained ISO/TS certification in 2004. In 2005, Warn opened a sales office in the Netherlands, added two domestic distribution centers and for a short time, expanded production with a facility in Mexico. In 2005, Jon Kreitz retired from Warn, and Thomas Giacomini was selected as Warn's CEO/President. In 2005 and 2006, Warn brought several innovative products to the market, including the PowerPlant compressor winch and the PullzAll.*

In late 2007, Thomas Giacomini was promoted to Dover, and John McCalla was promoted to Warn's CEO. In 2007, Warn developed the 18,000 lb. winch for the tow/recovery, severe duty markets and was selected to provide all vehicle self recovery winches for the U.S. military's MRAP program.*
.....Dover (warn) also sub's in China. I am working or I would show u more.

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)

whatsupdoc2day

n 2000, Mike Warn, sold the family owned business. Jon Kreitz, former Warn CEO, led a management buyout with institutional investors, Endeavour Capital & Norwest Equity. Warn was acquired by Dover Corporation in October 2003 and is part of a multi-billion dollar, global manufacturer of diversified products. Dover is (DOV) on the New York Stock Exchange. (www.dovercorporation.com)*

GodsRedneck(0lllllll0)

SDG

Caught the Bug
Prove it....
Everything has parts made in China... Or rather anything with electronics because transistors, diodes, mosfets, etc are all made over there somewhere.

However, having electonic components made in China doesnt make the piece of equipment made in China.

Personally I would like to see if the gears in a chineseium made winch are machined or sintered. I would guess they are sintered just like any shitty harbor freight or ryobi tool.

We know how the warns are made.

What's made in MX? The box it ships in?

Top Bottom