Cherokee XJ - the beginning, the progress.

Heavy D.

Hello !

The story is not so complicated. Eight years ago I needed something with wheels, saw the Cherokee plus another one aside as an organ donor (without engine and gearbox), bought the two of them.

The driveable one was 5-door, red, and someone had already swapped a Renault 2.1TD engine instead of the 4.0. And bone stock. But that will be changed...

The next years, some stuff came by:

- two inches of lift with 31" tires on stock rims.
- another five inches of lift with 33x10.50R15 BFG MT KM1 on Black Rockcrawler -19mm offset

Along with the seven inches of lift (RE coils/shocks @ front, lift blocks plus new leafs and RE shocks @ rear), I fitted or modified more stuff:

- adjustable (and lenghtened, 'cause moving the D30 forward a lot...) LCA and UCA by Rubicon Express
- adjustable track bar (RE also)
- high steer kit from Teraflex (tie rod already bent...)
- Hack'n'Tap kit at the NP231
- double U-Joint custom lenght rear driveshaft from Tom Woods
- lenghtened front drive shaft
- Goodridge brake lines
- dual membran servo and MC from a disc/disc ZJ
- drum to disc conversion kit
- 4.56, then 4.88 gears
- Powertrax Lockright front and rear.
- custom switch panel on the right.
- WARN CE-M8000 winch on DIY winch plate.
- ARB diff covers on both axles.
- DIY front and rear end "chassis" stiffeners.
- 1/6 inch diamond steel plate front and rear DIY bumpers.
- TnT Customs chassis stiffeners (not in position yet).
- electric vacuum pump.
- four DIY hood vents.
- CB Harry III ASC.
- Bushwackers Cut out Flares.
- DIY square profile rocksliders.

7 inch lift.jpg

A year ago, some of the above left the Jeep, 'cause I wanted a more stock appearance. So, 4 - 4.5 inches of lift are gone, along the winch and the winchplate, plus the bumpers. Also gone is some lenght from both the driveshafts and from the control arms. High steer is off, OEM steering is in again. The rest is still on...

Jeep profil stanga spate 2.jpg

Jeep profil dreapta spate.jpg

Winch will come back, but behind the first crossmember and with synthetic rope, recessed fairlead and special license plate holder over it...

Last edited:
Yep, the phenomenal 86HP 2.1 liter full aluminium Renault turbo diesel is still in. I have already waiting a Mercedes OM603 TD. That means 6 cylinders, 3.0, 147HP and around 220 pounds of torque. Its four speed automatic gearbox was opened at the rear to build a flange to mate the twin sticked Dana 300 I have in stock, along a pair of one ton axles that are awaiting another project that will run on 37" tires. The Dana 300 transfer case already received input shaft that fits the Mercedes auto-box.

I can fabricate another flange to mate the NP231 and a new input shaft for the NP231 that will fit the Mercedes auto-box. If I take out the NP231 to build its new input shaft, it'll be a great opportunity to fit inside the 2WD-Low kit that's gathering dust on the shelf... And from the second Benz I can pull out the 3.0 non-turbo diesel (113HP) and the auto box and fit them in this project...

Last edited:
Top Bottom