CJ5 Coil Over Conversion

daddyusmaximus

Awesome build. How did it come out? Did you end up running the 33s or the 35s? I would love to do this to my CJ5. (mine's a 79) Like your son, I'm a vet with back and neck issues, got some mangled up discs in Iraq. I would love a softer ride, but don't have the fabrication skills. Some off road (overlanding) friends are planning an Alaska trip for 2019. I'm going all in for this bucket list trip, but 6 or 8 thousand miles of on leaf springs kinda worry me. If I had to I could bribe my ex-brother-in-law to do the welding, or God forbid pay for it, but how complicated was figuring out where everything went? I suppose the second one you said you were gonna do will be much easier having done it once.

Could you detail the kit you used, and some of the kit parts that had to be modified, or built? My CJ has full size axles under it from a 1/2 ton Dodge truck. D44 up front, Chrysler 9.25 out back.

This is too much for me to do myself, I was never a good welder, and I also got a TBI, so learning isn't my strong suit these days. I just like reading about great builds. Still gives me ideas.

Lastly, do you think this could be done for 5 or 6 grand? If I didn't have to pay too much for the welding.

You did well sir, and tell your son thanks... from a brother.

daddyusmaximus

Did you guys ever get the springs figured out?

I'm also curious as to if you ended up running the 33s or the 35s.

How does it ride?

Top Bottom