Clifford the Big Red JK - Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so Clifford will be getting new shoes and a raise come the beginning of the year.

Tire will be Toyo Open Country R/T 35 x 12.5 x 17

Going to need a bit of room for those and I can't spend the coin for the 3" enforcer so I have been looking at the 3" Rancho lifts. There are two choices a Trail and a Sport. The trail comes with front and rear upper control arms and is about $300 more.

Can some one help me understand the reason for the new adjustable control arms?

Ok now hang on a second. I just got a quote for the 35 x 12.5 x 17 Toyo Open Country R/T from Les Schwab and I have to say Toyo is apparently very proud of that new tire. $432 each not including tax and fees. As a comparison the Nitto Trail Grapler straight from DT online is $310. This could change a few things

I paid 315 a tire for 35/12.5/20 for my pickup a few years back in the toyo's. But at that price, cant beat the Nittos

Ok so Clifford will be getting new shoes and a raise come the beginning of the year.

Tire will be Toyo Open Country R/T 35 x 12.5 x 17

Going to need a bit of room for those and I can't spend the coin for the 3" enforcer so I have been looking at the 3" Rancho lifts. There are two choices a Trail and a Sport. The trail comes with front and rear upper control arms and is about $300 more.

Can some one help me understand the reason for the new adjustable control arms?

Control arms are to adjust your caster up front which should be done at 3 inches of lift, rear uppers are done to set pinion angle to driveshaft and I would go with the nittos especially at that price difference :yup:

Control arms are to adjust your caster up front which should be done at 3 inches of lift, rear uppers are done to set pinion angle to driveshaft and I would go with the nittos especially at that price difference :yup:

Ya so I found this cool site called Wayalife.com that has a section called Answers-to-Questions-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-Jeep-JK-Wrangler. It is very helpful. Has a dedicated section about the min components for a 3" lift. Talks all about these crazy things called adjustable controls arms to correct caster. Cool huh!

Sorry I was reading fast, I got open country MT's

So I was looking at the R/T because of the 40k wear warranty but not at that cost. Most guys on here are getting that from the trail grappler without the warranty and they wheel a lot more than me.

So if I'm going with a MT it's between the OC and TG.

Ya so I found this cool site called Wayalife.com that has a section called Answers-to-Questions-Every-Newbie-has-about-the-Jeep-JK-Wrangler. It is very helpful. Has a dedicated section about the min components for a 3" lift. Talks all about these crazy things called adjustable controls arms to correct caster. Cool huh!

Yup and don't forget about the front drive shaft issues at 3 inches of lift, it's a deep rabbit hole we get ourselves into :grayno:

Yup and don't forget about the front drive shaft issues at 3 inches of lift, it's a deep rabbit hole we get ourselves into :grayno:

Ya I have a 2008 and really it talks about 12' and up needing the front drive shaft. I saw what happened to yours but also saw what the did to evolander. They added a single limit strap to keep it from hitting the exhaust. Interesting option. Sent an email to Mel asking about that setup.

Panda
So looking at the Rancho they say the arms that come with the lift (4 of them) are to replace the uppers but looking at the WAL newbie questions I need the lowers to correct caster. The enforcer only comes with front new lowers. Why does Rancho need the uppers at all 4 corners for the same lift?

ok so this is really been bugging me so i did a bit more research on WOL, and the rest of the Internets.

The Rancho 3" trail lift comes with adjustable uppers both front and rear
The 3" Enforcer kit comes with lower front only

When you lift the Jeep you will need to adjust your Caster back into specs. Per the WOL front end alignment writeup this can be done with uppers or lowers. Higher end kits come with both uppers and lower allowing for caster adjustment on the uppers and axle repositioning with the lowers.

Rancho you use the stock lowers and use the new adjustable uppers to set your caster. Shorter should pull the top of the axle back so the new uppers need to be shorter that the factory.

ORE Enforcer you use the lowers to set your caster, extending them to get your caster back into spec. Now i see a side benefit of the lower only as you can adjust your caster but you also are gaining a very small axle relocation at the same time. This will be very limiting as the uppers are still fixed but you gain none the less.

The rear Rancho uppers would be used to adjust the pinion angle if needed. Depends on your DS is my understanding

Pros
Enforcer comes with on the vehicle adjustable lowers., Front Track bar relocation bracket
Rancho comes with rear uppers (not sure i need these), rear track bar bracket, Front Adjustable Track bar

Let me know if i missed anything. I definitely am getting a better grasp (at least i think i am) on this the more i think about how this all works and by reading WOL

Will be pulling trigger in the next month stay tuned!

I think the enforcer comes with brake lines, right? Not sure the rancho does. Something to consider. It's a small cost but one in addition anyway.

I did rear uppers because I have a 2 door, and really short rear DS. You'll see a 4 door doesn't need it as much. I did feel slightly better knowing I could angle my pinion, although now I'm not sure it mattered really.

When you get ready to install, let me know if you want s hand or someone to watch you and drink. :)

I think the enforcer comes with brake lines, right? Not sure the rancho does. Something to consider. It's a small cost but one in addition anyway.

I did rear uppers because I have a 2 door, and really short rear DS. You'll see a 4 door doesn't need it as much. I did feel slightly better knowing I could angle my pinion, although now I'm not sure it mattered really.

When you get ready to install, let me know if you want s hand or someone to watch you and drink. :)

Ya both come with new fronts and back relocation bracket for the back.

Totally get the 2dr thing. My CJ's read DS is like 18". Had to use shims and a double cardigan DS along with a transmission drop spacers to keep the vibration out.

I will let you know thanks for the offer.

Ok so I swung by Americas Tire today and got the quote for install of a set of 5 Nitto TG 35"x12.5"x17 and they won't install on factory 08' wheels. Min spec says 8.5". I believe the factory are 7.5. I know I have seen people around here with them on factory wheels. What's the secret to getting them mounted?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom