Colorado - Durango (Purgatory Mountain Resort) July 2016

rla1022

Hello everyone. Been lurking on here for a while. Got a new 2015 Sahara in October. I love it. It is stock ,except a 1.75 leveling kit, and will likely remain that way.
We have booked a 7 day stay at a condo in Purgatory mountain village. I want to do as trails in the area that I can. Of course I was given the stipulation that no roads with steep drop offs (shelf roads). I am new to wheeling around and have not been off roading at all yet. I see lots of lists here asking about what trails and it seems that the hard ones are listed. I just want to take my wife, our daughter(10) and her BFF(10) to see some really cool views, fish, and maybe hike some, without have to worry about the shelf roads. I would love some suggestions.

rla1022

Thanks for the trail damage recommendation, I have been there many times. Is there a special way to only show trails with no shelf road? That is specifically what I am looking for.

GraniteCrystal

First, if you haven't got to the Give us a Wave forum and put a post there, start with that.

Second, no, not a way to do that that I know of. That's like filtering on the size of boulder you want in the trail or if there are wildflowers present or not. My advice is to look at the ratings on the right and stick with trails that are high on Scenery and low on Cliffs and Ledges. Look at all the pics too and you should be fine. Also, be aware that some roads are one way only so you're committed once you start.

rla1022

All Trails.COM - Site

You do realize that's primarily for hiking correct?
Did you use the link, or assuming? If you click on filter you can filter it down to off road vehicle trails. It allows the sorting capabilities that trail damage lacks. Still seem to need both for the more detail information. Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 12.04.53 PM.jpg

JoeB-JKURX

Sorting on the Trail Damage Website

You can, absolutely, sort (by a lot more than the All Trails website) on Trail Damage. Here are the categories for which you can sort:

Sort by Difficulty | Sort by Rock Crawling | Sort by Dirt & Mud | Sort by Water Crossings | Sort by Playgrounds | Sort by Cliffs & Drop-offs
Sort by Climbs & Descents | Sort by Elevation | Sort by Scenery | Sort by Activities | Sort Alphabetically

Petzl88

Go over Cinnamon Pass from Silverton to Lake City (not exposed) and see how you are feeling. Eat lunch at the BBQ joint in Lake City and then head back. You can stop and explore the Animas Forks ghost town along the way. It's really cool.

You can take Cinnamon Pass on the way back but I would go over Engineer Pass instead. There is one section that is exposed but it is a very well maintained dirt road. After that you will be fine.

Yankee Boy Basin is also cool and there is no exposure there. I would definitely do Imogene Pass but it has a little shelf road although it's not too bad.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Go over Cinnamon Pass from Silverton to Lake City (not exposed) and see how you are feeling. Eat lunch at the BBQ joint in Lake City and then head back. You can stop and explore the Animas Forks ghost town along the way. It's really cool.

You can take Cinnamon Pass on the way back but I would go over Engineer Pass instead. There is one section that is exposed but it is a very well maintained dirt road. After that you will be fine.

Yankee Boy Basin is also cool and there is no exposure there. I would definitely do Imogene Pass but it has a little shelf road although it's not too bad.

I saw a video on Imogene pass looked at tad scary. Guys were on cycles.

el_chupo_

Black bear wasnt too bad, but just head up to Silverton for a ton of great trails. There are some "shelf" areas on a lot of the trails, but even on Black Bear neither the wife or I were scared. I did the spotting for the wife driving on black bear and going down the steps and the switch backs in the trail, but I dont think there was much need otherwise.

grab this book, and enjoy! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934838047?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Petzl88

I saw a video on Imogene pass looked at tad scary. Guys were on cycles.

Imogene isn't that bad. It is semi-banked on the shelf sections on the Telluride side but it can be unnerving to some. The Ouray side isn't bad at all, maybe just one small shelf.

You could always do a round trip up Imogene from the Ouray side and head back down the same way. I would do that!

OP, I would steer clear of Black Bear especially on your first wheeling trip and since you already said you don't like shelf roads.

All of the trails out there have some sort of shelf at some point, it's the San Juans, but you need to experience it. You can do it! You will be surprised of the adrenaline rush you get, you will realize that it isn't as bad as it looks and when you are back on flat ground drinking a beer, you will be happy you did it.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Hello everyone. Been lurking on here for a while. Got a new 2015 Sahara in October. I love it. It is stock ,except a 1.75 leveling kit, and will likely remain that way.
We have booked a 7 day stay at a condo in Purgatory mountain village. I want to do as trails in the area that I can. Of course I was given the stipulation that no roads with steep drop offs (shelf roads). I am new to wheeling around and have not been off roading at all yet. I see lots of lists here asking about what trails and it seems that the hard ones are listed. I just want to take my wife, our daughter(10) and her BFF(10) to see some really cool views, fish, and maybe hike some, without have to worry about the shelf roads. I would love some suggestions.

Try these. I'll be there the last week of July!

http://www.coloradovibes.com/offroad-trails/yankee-boy-basin/

https://www.funtreks.com/

Kfletcher

What week are you going? I will be there July 16th through the week. Also staying at a condo at purgatory.

Remlap

Right out of Purgatory is Bolam Pass. The dirt road from the ski resort turns into it eventually and will take you over to hwy 145 near Lizard Head Pass.

Easy but fun trail that takes a couple hours to get to the views up top (where my avatar pic was taken).

Definetely 4wd but no shelf roads and a cool old cabin near the top which was a former uranium mining area.

If you can spare about 3-4 hours go all the way over and stop into Cayton Campground to say hi, I'm the guy with a Coors in his hand July 12th through the 17th.

Remlap

Oh yeah, fishing on the way to the pass on the Purgatory side, great looking trout stream with easy access for kids.

Don't know about hiking but watchout for Bigfoots.

Supposedly one ate some poor bastards apples right outside of his camper up round' them parts few years ago.

rla1022

Thank you again

Right out of Purgatory is Bolam Pass. The dirt road from the ski resort turns into it eventually and will take you over to hwy 145 near Lizard Head Pass.

Easy but fun trail that takes a couple hours to get to the views up top (where my avatar pic was taken).

Definetely 4wd but no shelf roads and a cool old cabin near the top which was a former uranium mining area.

If you can spare about 3-4 hours go all the way over and stop into Cayton Campground to say hi, I'm the guy with a Coors in his hand July 12th through the 17th.

That is some of the best advice have been given. We will definitely do that. We are going to be in CO 7/9 - 7/16 (AZ 7/1 - 7/8 )
Bolam Pass sounds Awesome and the fishing also sounds awesome. Thank you. I am going to share our route in the next few days as we try and narrow it down with all thing she want to do this year.

rla1022

Getting Close

Our trip is getting closer. I just read this morning that Colorado just got even more snow dumped on it. I am guessing that this is going to severely hinder some of the paces we want to go especially seeing that Durango got 224 inches of snow. Thats like 20ft of snow. How does it affect trail openings ?

Randy

Top Bottom