Coming up to Speed With Grubbicon

jkwebbie

I feel like so far ive been doing pretty good with the kinks for a fresh build. Im loving the way it works so far I think the tires are holding it back though. I really want to go to a bias or a sticky but idk yet. We will get out and wheel somewhere for sure.

You just need a set of Nittos and you'll be good! Dylan walked that one kill twice because of those TGs I has lol

Grubbicon

Went to jeepfest today and broke that driverside front ujoint and took the shaft ears with it. Think im gonna go to RCVs but I havent decided yet. I also put the jeep on the CTI trailer and scored a 980 which im very pleased with. After being able to see it really twisted up I dont think I could of gotten the full bump any better. Also got the jeep cleaned up when I got home.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472958498.359770.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472958506.738939.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472958514.657690.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472958521.955881.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472958541.126796.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472958548.957940.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472958557.978379.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1472958578.379685.jpg

Last edited:

swampdog

Went to jeepfest today and broke that driverside front ujoint and took the shaft ears with it. Think im gonna go to RCVs but I havent decided yet. I also put the jeep on the CTI trailer and scored a 980 which im very pleased with. After being able to see it really twisted up I dont think I could of gotten the full bump any better. Also got the jeep cleaned up when I got home.
View attachment 221183 View attachment 221184 View attachment 221185 View attachment 221186 View attachment 221187 View attachment 221188 View attachment 221189 View attachment 221190

It was a matter of time for that joint, I'm surprised it held that long.

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Those are some cool flex shots on the trailer.

Are RCVs the only brand available for your front axle? I can't remember if you have the D60 that doesn't have a lot of aftermarket support yet. 05+ King pin?

I know that one of the arguments for "junkyard" axles is that if you break you can easily go to an auto parts store and get replacements cheap. It could be a less expensive option in the short term.

Grubbicon

Those are some cool flex shots on the trailer.

Are RCVs the only brand available for your front axle? I can't remember if you have the D60 that doesn't have a lot of aftermarket support yet. 05+ King pin?

I know that one of the arguments for "junkyard" axles is that if you break you can easily go to an auto parts store and get replacements cheap. It could be a less expensive option in the short term.

Its a 05+ but not kingpin that stopped like back in the 80s. I probably could get a stock shaft my buddy also has a couple laying around. Far as Ive seen RCV is it considering the aftermarket support isnt the best yet.

I know there isnt a lot of love around for RCV but personally ive seen a bunch take a serious beating. I know everything lot people complain about the clicking but id think since my i can unlock my hubs my front driveshaft or nothing is spinning keeping them ok considering they will only spin when in 4wd.

EDIT: I will say after doing it I wish I would of looked into the aftermarket support better. If i did it again id probably go with a kingpin and a 14bolt but I do really like the extra width of these axles.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Its a 05+ but not kingpin that stopped like back in the 80s. I probably could get a stock shaft my buddy also has a couple laying around. Far as Ive seen RCV is it considering the aftermarket support isnt the best yet.

I know there isnt a lot of love around for RCV but personally ive seen a bunch take a serious beating. I know everything lot people complain about the clicking but id think since my i can unlock my hubs my front driveshaft or nothing is spinning keeping them ok considering they will only spin when in 4wd.

EDIT: I will say after doing it I wish I would of looked into the aftermarket support better. If i did it again id probably go with a kingpin and a 14bolt but I do really like the extra width of these axles.

Lol thank you for the correction. I was under the impression that 05+ were called king pins.

At least from looking around I'm sure that the aftermarket will catch up eventually.

I only hope that you don't have the same experience with RCVs warranty as that other memeber. I'm confident that you'll find a way to break them. :crazyeyes:

Grubbicon

It was a matter of time for that joint, I'm surprised it held that long.

Yeah I really am too considering the beatdown it took after being put in and welded up.

Good pics on the cti trailer, hate I missed Jeepfest this year!

Last minuted I decided to go I was about to just go wheel Gulches with a bunch of people

Looking good all cleaned up man!

Yes it does for sure. Found few new scares in the armor after the end of the summer run.

Lol thank you for the correction. I was under the impression that 05+ were called king pins.

At least from looking around I'm sure that the aftermarket will catch up eventually.

I only hope that you don't have the same experience with RCVs warranty as that other memeber. I'm confident that you'll find a way to break them. :crazyeyes:

Yeah the 05+ are ball joint axles instead of kingpin. The kingpin axles are by far much easier to work on which ive definitely learned after having to take it apart at camp at windrock.

Im definitely sure they will considering how popular this year axle is starting to become with people.

That does scary me which is what keeps me questioning it. It seems everyone either loves their RCVs or has a horror story about them. If I do go RCV im considering 300m instead of the standard chromo. If I break a 300m 35spline shaft with a 3.8 and tires that arent stickies it had to be defective.

Rb1boxer_3

I just gotta say this is one of the best thread builds I've read . It took me 3 days to read all 106 pages lol. I plan on doing the exact same but with a 14 bolt so I don't have to mess with the gas tank. I'm glad I found this one it's very detailed I've looked all over and none compare. So what is the total width of your axles and tires. Did it come out to 87.5 and do you have any pics of it from the front so I can see how much it sticks out. I can't wait to get started on mine. Do you have any more links to the rest of the parts you bought for your front end as I will also be using a 05+ front end.

Grubbicon

I just gotta say this is one of the best thread builds I've read . It took me 3 days to read all 106 pages lol. I plan on doing the exact same but with a 14 bolt so I don't have to mess with the gas tank. I'm glad I found this one it's very detailed I've looked all over and none compare. So what is the total width of your axles and tires. Did it come out to 87.5 and do you have any pics of it from the front so I can see how much it sticks out. I can't wait to get started on mine. Do you have any more links to the rest of the parts you bought for your front end as I will also be using a 05+ front end.

Just now came across this and yes its right around that width. I can measure it when I get home this weekend but my toe is way off so it wont be as accurate. Here are some of the closest to head on pics that I have of it right now.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473944344.879191.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473944257.492819.jpg

Any parts that your looking for specifically? And glad to hear the thread was useful to you.

If your going to run a 14B rear id definitely get one thats already disk brake so it would be closer to the width of the 05+. I will say if your going to run a 14B I would pair it up with the old faithful kingpin60. Through this Ive learned how much easier they are to work on and then you would have 2 axles already the same lug pattern and very close same width.

Last edited:

Rb1boxer_3

Just now came across this and yes its right around that width. I can measure it when I get home this weekend but my toe is way off so it wont be as accurate. Here are some of the closest to head on pics that I have of it right now.
View attachment 222761 View attachment 222760

Any parts that your looking for specifically? And glad to hear the thread was useful to you.

If your going to run a 14B rear id definitely get one thats already disk brake so it would be closer to the width of the 05+. I will say if your going to run a 14B I would pair it up with the old faithful kingpin60. Through this Ive learned how much easier they are to work on and then you would have 2 axles already the same lug pattern and very close same width.

Man that looks awesome . I found a 02 14b for 250 so getting that. And I was gonna use the 05+ because the tone rings and easier to set up the abs and speedo from what artec sells. And plus the cheapest king pin I've seen around here is 800-1100 compared to 400 for a 05+. I had planned on drilling the rotors and stuff to make it the same bolt pattern from what I've read on pirate. I was looking for anything you might have that you used to build the axle gears, lockers, ball joints, seals and the shafts, I'm going with ruff stuff high steer kit.

Big Bad Wolf

I too have read your entire thread! Great build and thanks for sharing.

I cringed when your Jack Stand failed! Scary.

Unfortunately I'm a rookie with welding so I will have to pass on building my own assemblies.

Great work!

Big Bad Wolf

BigPrince

Man that looks awesome . I found a 02 14b for 250 so getting that. And I was gonna use the 05+ because the tone rings and easier to set up the abs and speedo from what artec sells. And plus the cheapest king pin I've seen around here is 800-1100 compared to 400 for a 05+. I had planned on drilling the rotors and stuff to make it the same bolt pattern from what I've read on pirate. I was looking for anything you might have that you used to build the axle gears, lockers, ball joints, seals and the shafts, I'm going with ruff stuff high steer kit.

I would look at 99-04 front sd 60. You can get a UB for 8x6.5to match.

If you go 05 front, I wouldn't drill the front, just put adapters on the rear for 8x6.5->8x170 to match the front both lug pattern and closer to the same width.

Top Bottom