Commando Green Rubicon

tdougherty81

Originally I thought it would take longer for me to get where I am today but I'm way ahead of schedule with stage I done and jumped to stage III with Prorock 44 and gears. Just need a rear driveshaft, ram and on board air.

Stage I
4" EVO Enforcer - Done
EVO Protek - Done
EVO Draglink Flip - Went with JKS
EVO Rockstar - Done
EVO Rear Trackbar Bracket - Done
EVO Body Mounted Tire Carrier - Done
EVO D-ring Mount - Done
Adams 1350 Front DS - Done
Warn VR8000 GenII - Went with M8000S

Stage II
EVO Sliders - Went with LOD
Adams 1350 Rear DS
PCS XD Steering Gear Box or Ram Assist
Rock Hard Sports Cage - Pending Order
Rugged Radios RM-50R - Pending Order

Stage III
Prorock 44 Front - Done
Regear Rear - Done

Air Compressor

I'm really happy where I am today with my build. It drives great and is comfortable to drive everyday.:cool:

20170417_110629_resized.jpg

20170417_110638_resized.jpg

20170417_110844_resized.jpg

tdougherty81

Looking great Tom! How's the new gear set drive? Mileage? Highway manners? You're 5.13?

Thanks

Yeah 5.13 gears. Drives great, doesn't struggle on hills anymore. I was getting 17 mpg on my way into work which was close to the same as before, no highway. Highway was 12-13 at 70 mph, gone are the days of doing 80 plus.

Flat Top

Highway was 12-13 at 70 mph, gone are the days of doing 80 plus.

Can you elaborate? Do you mean your rig is not longer capable of that speed? I'm looking at 5.13s, but travel the Grand Parkway to and from the job. I cruise at ~75 most of the time but need to do 80+ sometimes just to get the hell out of the way of some drivers.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Can you elaborate? Do you mean your rig is not longer capable of that speed? I'm looking at 5.13s, but travel the Grand Parkway to and from the job. I cruise at ~75 most of the time but need to do 80+ sometimes just to get the hell out of the way of some drivers.

you can do 80+, just MPGs are going to take a hit. for me (and I'm sure Tom has come to the same conclusion) its not worth 3-5mpg to go 5mph faster and save maybe 15 minutes on a 3 hr drive. BUT the jeep CAN do it... Ive hit 100mph (in the desert :cheesy: ) with my 5.13s but the fuel economy takes a BIG hit above 75 or so

Last edited:

tdougherty81

Oh its capable of doing 80 plus, it's just that the rpms run bit higher anything above 70 mph and fuel mileage sucks. Traveling back from New Braunfels down I-10, set the cruise for 75 and it comfortably took the hills without much OD use.

you can do 80+, just MPGs are going to take a hit. for me (and I'm sure Tom has come to the same conclusion) its not worth 3-5mpg to go 5mph faster and save maybe 15 minutes on a 3 hr drive. :cheesy: But the jeep CAN do it... Ive hit 100mph (in the desert) with 5.13s :idontknow: but the fuel economy takes a BIG hit above 75 or so

Got that right. After last weekend I'm broke, need to conserve all the fuel. lol.

Flat Top

Oh its capable of doing 80 plus, it's just that the rpms run bit higher anything above 70 mph and fuel mileage sucks. Traveling back from New Braunfels down I-10, set the cruise for 75 and it comfortably took the hills without much OD use.

Got that right. After last weekend I'm broke, need to conserve all the fuel. lol.

you can do 80+, just MPGs are going to take a hit. for me (and I'm sure Tom has come to the same conclusion) its not worth 3-5mpg to go 5mph faster and save maybe 15 minutes on a 3 hr drive. BUT the jeep CAN do it... Ive hit 100mph (in the desert :cheesy: ) with my 5.13s but the fuel economy takes a BIG hit above 75 or so

Great, thanks for the confirmation, I had decided on 5.13s but you had me guessing again. I already have a line at 70 for going from 15 mpg to about 12, I hope it doesn't get to single digits. :D

Your rig is looking great!

tdougherty81

Great, thanks for the confirmation, I had decided on 5.13s but you had me guessing again. I already have a line at 70 for going from 15 mpg to about 12, I hope it doesn't get to single digits. :D

Your rig is looking great!

I haven't seen single digits yet. Thanks, we'll have to setup a meet soon and get the commando's together.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

:cheesy: Oh yeah, the Jeep can definitely do it (not that I would know :blush: ) but you do take quite a hit in the MPG department.

rlm8541

Washed all the love bugs off and gave Hound some wax.

View attachment 254819

View attachment 254820

View attachment 254821

Just read through the entire build....Great Job and looks amazing. Have a JKU in the shop in Cincinnati being built while Im deployed as we speak....Cant wait to get home.
Think my biggest dilemma so far is deciding which tire to go with.
Im torn between the Nitto Trail G 37X12.50 17's and the Cooper STT 37X13.5'sX17....Ive been running 33" Coopers STT (older ones not Pro's) on an XJ I have for a couple years and they have worn really well with regular rotating. Only complaint is they are a little louder than I was expecting.
What made you go with the Coopers over another tire?

rlm8541

Time to start a new build thread.

Here is my 08 JKU RedRock that traded in. I loved my Jeep but it developed issues and I need something more reliable. I lost my lift, sliders and Rock Jock 44.
View attachment 233541

Picked up a 13 Rubicon Unlimited in Commando Green. I don't have a name for it yet but I would like to hear some suggestions from y'all.

At the dealership after they moved my wheels and tires over.
View attachment 233540

Interior
View attachment 233533
View attachment 233532

This was a nice upgrade coming from the 3.8.
View attachment 233542

PS Brawler Bumper
I plan on putting my EVO Quarter Pounder on but will need to do some FAB work since the frame horns were chopped off.
View attachment 233535

PS Rear Diff Cover
View attachment 233536

PS Hood Louver, color matched
View attachment 233534

It does have a spacer lift which will need to work for now until I get my Enforcer lift.
View attachment 233543

37 13.50 17 Cooper STT Pro on Hutchinson Rock Monster beadlocks
View attachment 233537

Moved my Trucklites over.
View attachment 233538

My plan is to upgrade in three main stages with the 1st stage being complete in the next couple months.

Stage I
4" EVO Enforcer - Done
EVO Protek - Done
EVO Draglink Flip - Went with JKS
EVO Rockstar - Done
EVO Rear Trackbar Bracket - Done
EVO Body Mounted Tire Carrier - Done
EVO D-ring Mount - Done
Adams 1350 Front DS - Done
Warn VR8000 GenII - Went with M8000S

Stage II
EVO Sliders - Went with LOD
Adams 1350 Rear DS
PCS XD Steering Gear Box or Ram
Rock Hard Sports Cage - Pending Order
Rugged Radios RM-50R - Pending Order

Stage III
Prorock 44 Front - Done
Regear Rear - Done
Air Compressor

Just out of curiosity. If you don't mind me asking. What kind of issues were you having with your 08'?

tdougherty81

Just read through the entire build....Great Job and looks amazing. Have a JKU in the shop in Cincinnati being built while Im deployed as we speak....Cant wait to get home.
Think my biggest dilemma so far is deciding which tire to go with.
Im torn between the Nitto Trail G 37X12.50 17's and the Cooper STT 37X13.5'sX17....Ive been running 33" Coopers STT (older ones not Pro's) on an XJ I have for a couple years and they have worn really well with regular rotating. Only complaint is they are a little louder than I was expecting.
What made you go with the Coopers over another tire?
It really came down to the price and the reviews of them. I'm really glad I went with them, been great so far.

Top Bottom