CONCRETE ARROW QUEST : Search for Transcontinental Airway Beacons

Awesome adventure !!! Happy birthday (belated) Eddie, looks like a great jeep trip. Thanks for sharing the photos, those hot springs looked like a neat find, love the colorful mineral steps the water formed. Thanks!

drtnwtr

Looks like you guys had a great birthday outing! Thanks for all the cool pics, and the stories behind them.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great pictures looked like a lot of good exploring.

Thanks, it's always a ton of fun exploring out in Nevada! :cool:

so those awesomely weird looking formations were hot springs!?! how cool! as usual amazing shots to go along with an awesome adventure

Oh yeah, there are tons of cool things to see out here. If you ever make it out this way, we'll have to show you some of it. :yup:

Awesome pics. Looks like you had fun.

Thanks, it's always a good time exploring in our backyard :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome adventure !!! Happy birthday (belated) Eddie, looks like a great jeep trip. Thanks for sharing the photos, those hot springs looked like a neat find, love the colorful mineral steps the water formed. Thanks!

Thank you. It really was an awesome, well needed trip.

ROCKACON

Wow super cool! Thanks for sharing!!My uncle is a pilot and I remember hearing stories about the beacons from when I was a kid! Brought back a ton of memories, there are so many cool things like this in our History! great way to spend your birthday! Cheers

benatc1

Hooked
This is awesome, I'm looking to hit some of the ghost towns and adventure some off the northern Nevada desert this spring/summer. Will be a great place to start. Thanks for sharing!

HDfan

This looks like a great historical event. I'd look forward to a run with 25 other rigs. Beautiful pics. The teaser video was top notch. I made the wife go throw the tent and cooler next to the he jeep. We're ready!!

Question for you, Day 1 the 18th picture is titled some pics from around town.
That picture has some recent concrete block installed. It doesn't look complete but why would someone have built that? Was someone living out there?

Very neat pics thruout. We don't have things like that around Wisconsin that's for sure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wow super cool! Thanks for sharing!!My uncle is a pilot and I remember hearing stories about the beacons from when I was a kid! Brought back a ton of memories, there are so many cool things like this in our History! great way to spend your birthday! Cheers

That is so cool that you know someone who was familiar with the arrows. Oh, and thank you :)

This is awesome, I'm looking to hit some of the ghost towns and adventure some off the northern Nevada desert this spring/summer. Will be a great place to start. Thanks for sharing!

You're gonna have a great time for sure out here :yup:

This looks like a great historical event. I'd look forward to a run with 25 other rigs. Beautiful pics. The teaser video was top notch. I made the wife go throw the tent and cooler next to the he jeep. We're ready!!

LOL!! Glad you liked the teaser :cool:

Question for you, Day 1 the 18th picture is titled some pics from around town.
That picture has some recent concrete block installed. It doesn't look complete but why would someone have built that? Was someone living out there?

Very neat pics thruout. We don't have things like that around Wisconsin that's for sure.

The town site had been inhabited and used on and off well into the 20th century - at least into the 1960's if I recall. During that time, the people there had made improvements to some of the structures and for a time, had even made the Wells Fargo into a horse stable.

jedg

Being that it was my birthday last week, Cindy and I decided to drop what we were doing, load up our Jeep and head out to the Northern Nevada Desert to look for some concrete arrows, also known as, Transcontinental Airway Beacons. As some of you may know, we've been looking for and photographing these 50 ft. arrows and on occasion, towers as well for over two years now and on this trip, it was our hope to find a few located all the way out on the eastern edge of the state. Of course, it'd be near impossible for us to not explore some old ghost towns and do a bit of rock hounding along the way and in this thread, you'll get to see a little bit of all the things we got to see and do. I hope you enjoy :cool:

You really have found your calling. Posts like these (that are really short stories) and your videos are at the top of my list of entertainment media that I pay attention to. They inspire me to go out and enjoy the world with my friends and my jeep. (yeah... I know that sounds a bit sappy, but I do appreciate your work)

Thanks!

JAGS

Hooked
Wow, how awesome was this trip!!! I don't know how you keep finding all these awesome locations. The side trips to the cemetery, ghost town and hot springs were very cool. Thanks for sharing. [emoji106][emoji106]

Recurve

Nice pics! Looks like a fun little adventure. The hot springs were really neat looking!

Honestly I do this stuff back home all the time in the Appalachian mountains.
image.jpg

This is dead mans curve, poor guy lost his life cutting a path through the mountains. Bulldozer ran him over :(

image.jpg

Anyways , it seems like I'm running out of places to explore an our area is so tiny... I really feel I need to get out west.

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Awesome pictures! Being that I enjoy searching for these, this last trip you guys had is amazing!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Nevada is a mother lode for concrete arrows. What a terrific way to spend a birthday, alive and well and off the freeway.:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You really have found your calling. Posts like these (that are really short stories) and your videos are at the top of my list of entertainment media that I pay attention to. They inspire me to go out and enjoy the world with my friends and my jeep. (yeah... I know that sounds a bit sappy, but I do appreciate your work)

Thanks!

I'm genuinely flatter that you would say as much. What Cindy and I do is a passion of ours and it is our hope to be able to share it with others.

Wow, how awesome was this trip!!! I don't know how you keep finding all these awesome locations. The side trips to the cemetery, ghost town and hot springs were very cool. Thanks for sharing. [emoji106][emoji106]

Glad you enjoyed reading up on what we did. I hope to get you and Amy out to see some of this stuff with us in the future :yup:

Nice pics! Looks like a fun little adventure. The hot springs were really neat looking!

Anyways , it seems like I'm running out of places to explore an our area is so tiny... I really feel I need to get out west.

Very cool, looks like you have found some cool stuff in your neck of the woods too :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome pictures! Being that I enjoy searching for these, this last trip you guys had is amazing!

Thanks! What we need to do is get out to your neck of the woods to see some of the cool arrows and beacons you have found :yup:

Nevada is a mother lode for concrete arrows. What a terrific way to spend a birthday, alive and well and off the freeway.:yup:

Yup, there is no one state with more airway beacons and arrow that you can find and still get out to than Nevada.

JAGS

Hooked
Glad you enjoyed reading up on what we did. I hope to get you and Amy out to see some of this stuff with us in the future :yup:

That'd be great. I know Amy and I are both looking forward to getting out again soon. [emoji106][emoji41]

Top Bottom