Cozdude's build of Knuckles

NJR but I got my new multimeter in today for while in school and when I get into the field. As I have learned from jeeping, it is expensive to be cheap so I decided to go with the best

Fluke 87
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1475262052.920264.jpg.

Also learned in electrical class today that I basically wasted my money on my diehard battery. I should have looked into a deep cycle type battery instead to help run my accessories. So today I started looking at marine deep cycles. Debating on getting a optima blue top deep cycle cause from what I have seen they are still made in the US unlike the yellow tops. Anyone have any other info to back this up or have any suggestions on other gel cell deep cycles?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1475262221.213990.jpg.

What is the ruling on die hard batteries? This is all news to me.

They are good batteries and the one I have is fine but I'm learning that a gel cell battery would work better for the heat our engine compartments see, the load we put on the battery with the winch and such, etc etc. just want to switch out to a deep cycle gel cell battery instead which is why I'm looking at the blue tops

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

So this gel vs AGM battery question got me to doing battery research now. I've been on several sites explaining the differences between the different technologies & thought I had a handle on it, but then on Optima's website they mention this about Gel batteries (I copied & pasted this):

Generally, gel batteries are less tolerant of high heat and are charged at lower power than traditional or AGM batteries.

So now I'm confused. :thinking:

What did they tell you in class?

FWIW I'm running an Optima Blue top since my factory battery shit the bed about a year after I bought my 14. It sat on my garage floor for about a year after I took it out of my 09 when I traded it in. It cranked my 14 right up without a jump and has been working ever since. I bought the battery from quadratec early 2014 and it was only in my 09 for about three months.

Sent from my LG-D851 using WAYALIFE mobile app

So this gel vs AGM battery question got me to doing battery research now. I've been on several sites explaining the differences between the different technologies & thought I had a handle on it, but then on Optima's website they mention this about Gel batteries (I copied & pasted this):

Generally, gel batteries are less tolerant of high heat and are charged at lower power than traditional or AGM batteries.

So now I'm confused. :thinking:

What did they tell you in class?

So I misspoke. AGM batteries are what I meant to say and that is what an optima battery is. So the combination of the AGM and it being deep cycle will be perfect. Just need to look for one that has good amp hours and has a good reserve capacity

Ok so actual build stuff now.

So after the last Rausch trip I felt as tho my coilovers were riding smoother in a good way but wanted to adjust my timing rings a bit for a little more stuff but also for maybe a bit softer street ride. So I found a nice pile of pavement by my house to flex out on and check stuff out.
IMG_1475536782.125216.jpg.
IMG_1475536827.236611.jpg.
IMG_1475536839.176017.jpg.
Stuff nice but wasn't happy with how close the bottom coils were so I raised the timing rings up front a rear a bit.
Before
IMG_1475536881.947841.jpg.

Didn't take an after shot

So while flexing out I realized my rear passenger side wasn't stuffing very well. So I went back and realized that my bump stop has been hitting my trackbar bolt for some time now.
IMG_1475536996.965770.jpg.
Looks like I have some trimming to do

I must have jinxed myself looking at batteries. Sunday morning I went out to start the Jeep and this:

jump.jpg

Jumped it with my son-in-laws Explorer & started looking for a good battery locally. 3 hours later and I just installed a cheap ass Walmart battery until I can find one that I want.
So I talked to a buddy that's really into diesel trucks and he recommended the Deka brand, which I've never heard of. Evidently these are used with the audio competitions and diesel
trucks frequently. He said he's had the same one in his pickup for 8 years. Pricey, but sounds like worth checking out.

http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/23808/9a48.html

Deka's website is so-so. I googled the model battery they suggest on their site & found a couple sites. Not saying the Odyssey isn't a good choice, but these sound like they're worth looking into....

I must have jinxed myself looking at batteries. Sunday morning I went out to start the Jeep and this:

View attachment 225490

Jumped it with my son-in-laws Explorer & started looking for a good battery locally. 3 hours later and I just installed a cheap ass Walmart battery until I can find one that I want.
So I talked to a buddy that's really into diesel trucks and he recommended the Deka brand, which I've never heard of. Evidently these are used with the audio competitions and diesel
trucks frequently. He said he's had the same one in his pickup for 8 years. Pricey, but sounds like worth checking out.

http://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/shop/product/23808/9a48.html

Deka's website is so-so. I googled the model battery they suggest on their site & found a couple sites. Not saying the Odyssey isn't a good choice, but these sound like they're worth looking into....

Damn jerry that sucks!

Yea I have heard good things about deka in the past so will look into them as well. Gonna compare as many as I can before i pull the trigger on one since this diehard I have is only a year old.

Was the mystery of "What weighs 4#'s & is mostly brown but in a white bag" trivia post answered yet? Does this ^^ have something to do with it?

No no, the sockets were in the separate box.

...the coke wasn't delivered yet? Damnit, I'll call Fedex and see what the deal is.

Well as you may have seen in the grill insert thread I have been wanting to put a grill insert in knuckles to show my support for our police officers. Well today I started my little project.

Ordered these grill inserts on Amazon after talking to tennjk as they were the same price brand new as it would have cost to ship them.
IMG_1476304148.595865.jpg.
Took my grill off to clean it and prep for a fresh coat of plasti dip.
IMG_1476304239.014726.jpg.
Here it is 2 coats later. All fresh and black again
IMG_1476304420.666935.jpg.
The insert after getting its final coat.
IMG_1476304585.147569.jpg.

Will post more pics once everything dries

Top Bottom