Cozdude's build of Knuckles

Ddays

Hooked
Feels good finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, doesn't it? Good to see it almost done. Finally got mine back after 6 weeks being in the shop -that totally sucked. I just got back from taking it for a test drive tonight and :wings:

OJK12

That's cool info on the revolution gears. I've been eyeing that company up for a while. Are they truly all American made parts?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Maybe you mentioned it already but what caused the break?

I never did lol the weekend before the break Frogmech and I were installing my driveshaft. We couldn't get the pinion flange off. We took it over to pep boys to see if they could zip off the nut. They couldn't get it. Go back to frogmechs house and reinstall the stock shaft. After j got to the shore an hour and a half later I smelled gear oil. Crawl underneath to see it covering the underside. Frog runs over to pep boys and finds out that they took a hammer to my pinion nut. After a total of 300 miles and the bearing fail. A few of us believe it's all because of them taking the hammer to the pinion. I'm trying to get them to pay for all the parts. It's going to be hard to prove but it's worth a shot.

That's cool info on the revolution gears. I've been eyeing that company up for a while. Are they truly all American made parts?
The gears are not American made. They have the little circled k on them showing how they were made in Korea but when I talked to brook over at revolution he said that they treat there gears differently once they get them. There is a 2 year warranty on the r&p and a lifetime warranty on there shafts which are 4030 chromoly and are made in the USA.

OJK12

They treat them as in cryogenic treatment? The lifetime warranty on the shafts sounds great so long as they stand behind them that is. The shafts look cool, you will have to keep us posted on how you like them! Hope your install goes well and without issues [emoji481]

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
They treat them as in cryogenic treatment? The lifetime warranty on the shafts sounds great so long as they stand behind them that is. The shafts look cool, you will have to keep us posted on how you like them! Hope your install goes well and without issues [emoji481]

Yea I can only assume that is the process they do. He didn't go into detail about it and I didn't ask. As for the shafts I'm sure they will. I made sure to ask that it covers bent flanges and twisted splines and he said yes. I hope I never have to use it but it's nice to have if I do need it

Yea I can only assume that is the process they do. He didn't go into detail about it and I didn't ask. As for the shafts I'm sure they will. I made sure to ask that it covers bent flanges and twisted splines and he said yes. I hope I never have to use it but it's nice to have if I do need it

That definitely helped sway my choice to go to revolution gears.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
When I need new shafts I will check them out if they warranty rubi rears which I hope they do, deff never going with yukon ones again.

The gears pictured do not appear to be cryo treated to me. Every set of cyro treated gears I have seen had a glossy black finish (even on the ground bearing surfaces). not to mention, cryo treating usually costs an additional 2-300 $. I can't see Revolution putting this cost into their gears and selling them at the price they do, even with volume. It is more likely that they run them through a pairing process and maybe do some additional machining and prep. This is the same thing almost any reputable gear MFG would do. Don't get me wrong.... I am not saying they are bad gears, but I think a bunch of their hype is not much more than marketing.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The gears pictured do not appear to be cryo treated to me. Every set of cyro treated gears I have seen had a glossy black finish (even on the ground bearing surfaces). not to mention, cryo treating usually costs an additional 2-300 $. I can't see Revolution putting this cost into their gears and selling them at the price they do, even with volume. It is more likely that they run them through a pairing process and maybe do some additional machining and prep. This is the same thing almost any reputable gear MFG would do. Don't get me wrong.... I am not saying they are bad gears, but I think a bunch of their hype is not much more than marketing.

Good info thanks Jay! I can get a better pic later and maybe you can see if they look treated to you then? Yea at the price point tho I can't see them being cryo treated like you said. As I said he stated they treated them on top of however they come. I didn't ask as I was already sold on the gears. My main concern was the shafts when I called since it was between them and ten factory. The lifetime warranty with no questions ask cause they know that people wheel on them is what sold me :yup:

Maybe you mentioned it already but what caused the break?

As Steve mentioned and to the theory. The outter bearing failed which is a bit odd as most of the load of the pinion is put on the inner pinion bearing. Normally the outter only fails when starved for oil or drive line balance issues (from what I've seen anyway). The real bitch of it on the trail is that once the bearing rollers fell out and into the bottom of the diff the pinion was allowed to fall down and into the carrier making everything worse. This is what caused the locker damage and why simply pulling the ring gear wasn't enough.

Andrew and I tried to remove the pinion but we were unable to drive it out and the Jeep was a little to unstable for us to feel comfortable getting crazy with it. Thus our redneck contraption to hold the pinion forward and keep it out of the carrier pictured above.

Good info thanks Jay! I can get a better pic later and maybe you can see if they look treated to you then? Yea at the price point tho I can't see them being cryo treated like you said. As I said he stated they treated them on top of however they come. I didn't ask as I was already sold on the gears. My main concern was the shafts when I called since it was between them and ten factory. The lifetime warranty with no questions ask cause they know that people wheel on them is what sold me :yup:

I'm sure they will be fine no matter what they did to them... even if they take the time to measure and pair them this adds value and will reduce the lapping time (break in).

There is some debate about whether cryo treating is ideal and I don't know where I fall on the matter. A harder gear will resist wear better but is brittle, a softer gear will wear but deflects and is less prone to breaking. :thinking::idontknow:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'm sure they will be fine no matter what they did to them... even if they take the time to measure and pair them this adds value and will reduce the lapping time (break in).

There is some debate about whether cryo treating is ideal and I don't know where I fall on the matter. A harder gear will resist wear better but is brittle, a softer gear will wear but deflects and is less prone to breaking. :thinking::idontknow:

Yea I'm sure they will be fine as well, You just have me curious now lol

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Limped knuckles over to the shop where he will be worked on. They should start late tomorrow if not first thing Friday and I will have him back Friday night!

Top Bottom