Creature Comforts

BigBoy

So I'm getting ready to order my new 14 JKU, but price is kind of an issue. I've already decided that for just a bit more, it's worth getting a new one rather than a used one. I really want the new 3.6 and an auto. I was thinking of ordering the sport to keep cost down. I'd love to have all the goodies on a Rubicon, but honestly this will be more of a daily driver and less of a trail rig so I plan to add the trail stuff as I need it. That being said, what are the opinions of power windows and locks? Bluetooth? AC? I feel like being a jeep it doesn't have to have these, but as a daily driver it sure would be nice. For those that don't have these options, do you ever wish you did? For those that do, is it worth the extra cost? My gut says yes. I've never had a new vehicle before and just don't want to have any regrets. Thanks.

MTG

Caught the Bug
4 door without power locks would suck. Bluetooth is nice but far from necessary. I would never own a vehicle without AC.

The items you mention are fairly inexpensive compared to the price of the vehicle as a whole. The incremental price on your monthly payment would be relatively small...assuming you are financing it.

I purchased my 4 dr Sport just because it did not have power windows or power locks. Then again I have long gorilla arms (6'-3") so it does not really matter. I thought of it this way, it is a Jeep and the basics is all I need. Just my humble opinion. I like the fact I have to roll the windows down. Blue tooth would be good but hey I really should not be talking on my cell phone when I am driving.

R/
Will

Hollowpoint515

Dual top group is a plus I didn't get it because it was too costly for me personally so I got the premium soft top with tinted windows

Also the premium sound system I would say is a must! Unless you plan to upgrade your sound system later down the road

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

BigBoy

Yes by themselves they are all cheap options. But to get power windows, I'd have to get the Sport S, which comes with more than just power windows. Overall all the options I would want only raise the price about 3k, or about $50 a month more. In the grand scheme of things it's not a lot, but month to month I just don't know.

BigBoy

Dual top group is a plus I didn't get it because it was too costly for me personally so I got the premium soft top with tinted windows

Also the premium sound system I would say is a must! Unless you plan to upgrade your sound system later down the road

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Going with hard top. I think if I wanted a soft top, I'll go with the bestop.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I have a 2012 (2)door NO power door locks NO power windows, I do have blue tooth and A/C. This is the setup I was looking for. The least a mount of electronics the better for me. I had a 4x4 with all the electric door and Windows etc.. and alway ran into problems with them going out. Just my 2 cents.:)

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Mallard8767

I have previously owned an 08 jku that had manual everything and no bells or whistles. After having engine issues (aka >2 quarts missing each oil change and no power) I traded in for a 13 JKUR with power doors/windows, Bluetooth and premium sound. My opinion is that the power windows are not necessary (the auto down is fun though) but the auto locks are a must. It was soo annoying needing the key every time I wanted to open the tailgate. When I bought the 08 I was happy with less electronics (simple and cheap to fix) but after having both ways there is no going back. The Bluetooth is also great as long as you have a smart phone and while the premium sound is lowest on the list it is also nice to hear the radio when the windows are down ;-). Go for the "s" you wont regret it... and honestly if your ordering it you may just find a rubi off the lot for a "close" to comparible price if you can negotiate (thats what i did).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WAYALIFE mobile app

noroad

I have a two door 2012 sport and it nothing but a soft top, I didnt want power windows because #1 the doors are a little bit heavier #2 cant roll them down when they are never on the jeep #3 the little cubby you get is boss great place for the phone. I didnt get AC becuase again the doors are never on, there has been one day i wish i had it and thats it. Plus if you really want AC later you can put it in. Would all of this be nice yes but i didnt feel i needed it moving from a YJ to a JK and i used the money for mods i wanted more. it is my DD as well for now!

Hobolobo

The only option i added was AC. But it gets hot in texas and i need it. As far as everything else, the less electronics it has, the less things that can go wrong. Manual locks and windows dont fail. But some stuff would be nice if your daily drive is a decent distance.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I have a '11 2 door sport with a/c and auto as my upgrades. Was the a/c needed? No but I got it for those rainy humid days when the inside of the windows fog up and for when I do have the doors on and it's just to wicked hot. The roll down windows and manual locks keep you young lol. If your getting a 4 door then I would suggest the power windows/locks. No need for the Bluetooth IMO

Sent from my iPhone

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I'd say get what you want with your budget. There are some items you should consider for resale time. AC is the biggie and right behind that is the auto tranny. You are wise to get the Pentastar. We were lucky 'cause we got an honest salesman who tried to help us select the right options for us and at resale time. We walked out with a loaded 2012 JKUR but without heated seats. Don't need that in Phoenix. :thinking: Crap!! He got us!!
All the best.:thumb:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
So I'm getting ready to order my new 14 JKU, but price is kind of an issue. I've already decided that for just a bit more, it's worth getting a new one rather than a used one. I really want the new 3.6 and an auto. I was thinking of ordering the sport to keep cost down. I'd love to have all the goodies on a Rubicon, but honestly this will be more of a daily driver and less of a trail rig so I plan to add the trail stuff as I need it. That being said, what are the opinions of power windows and locks? Bluetooth? AC? I feel like being a jeep it doesn't have to have these, but as a daily driver it sure would be nice. For those that don't have these options, do you ever wish you did? For those that do, is it worth the extra cost? My gut says yes. I've never had a new vehicle before and just don't want to have any regrets. Thanks.

I had a similar dilemma when I was shopping for my first jeep. Was planning on buying a stripped out model, ended up with a 2012 loaded unlimited sahara which is now being replaced with a 2014 unlimited Rubicon. I definitely wanted the side air bags. I have a family, and the wrangler is really weak on the side. I love the leather. Besides the comfort, it's easy to clean. I love remote start. I got it because it was a cheap option, but I actually use it FAR more than I thought I would. I do NOT like/want auto climate control. I can't stand those things, and luckily, the Wrangler is one of the few vehicles that lets you have the classic hot/cold knob. Uconnect is great because lets face it, we all own cellphones and we talk on them. Its worth it IMHO. I like my 730 (although it's probably one of the worst navigation systems in production today) because it gets the job done, and has proven useful out of the trails believe it or not. 4.10 gears are a must. Spend the $300 now or $1500 later, and keep it under warranty. Heated seats is a nice option if you live in cold areas (or areas that get cold for a season.) Just my .02

P.S.
For the love of all that is holy, do NOT get a wrangler (4 door) without power windows/locks and no ac. One of the most common regrets. AC is one of the few things that is extremely difficult/expensive to add later, and everyone who made the mistake of not getting ac from the factory ends up trading their rig in because it's cheaper than the cost of adding it. The resale is also not as good because it isn't easy to sell a wrangler without AC.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have a 2012 (2)door NO power door locks NO power windows, I do have blue tooth and A/C. This is the setup I was looking for. The least a mount of electronics the better for me. I had a 4x4 with all the electric door and Windows etc.. and alway ran into problems with them going out. Just my 2 cents.:)

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

I just wanted to comment on this post so the OP understands something....this train of thought is null and void on the JK. The business of "the less electronics the better" doesn't matter. Having power windows/locks doesn't make your JK any more susceptible to damage from water, as all the computers under the hood and inside the dash are what causes the real problems, and no options (or not getting said options) get rid of them. If you flood your interior (or it gets heavily rained on), not having power windows/locks isn't going to do a damn thing for you. If you don't want power windows/locks because you love turning a crank, thats fine, personal choice. But if you don't get power windows/locks because you want to have less problems from water damage, then it's simply a myth.

BigBoy

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's good to hear real world opinions. Based on what I've heard here and since I have small children, it looks like power it is. I had an old cherokee that the power windows died and no AC. It's only really hot here in Oregon 3 months of the year, but man did that suck. But I would hope a brand new JK would fair a bit better than the 26 year old electronics in the cherokee. And I know if I don't, I'll probably regret it since me last two cars and my wife's car both have power.

The search continues.....

davantalus

I was surprised to find that the Rubicon already includes all the options you're mentioning.

Probably impossible money-wise... but you might want to consider a base Rubicon ($35-6k OTD? dunno.) rather than adding a bunch of stuff to another trim level.

My opinions:
The phone/bluetooth stuff is not good. Implementation is abysmal. I love the connectivity package other than that.
AC is great when its humid. (not just hot)
I would choose the hard top only and buy a Trek NX later.
My power windows and auto door locks get used *all* the time.

You could always save a few more grand - aren't Jeeps supposed to be cheaper in the winter?

miguel250r

I went to the dealership to buy a stripped down 4 door just had a/c and drove off the lot with a 2 door Rubicon for the same ball park price thought what the hell just me and my gf no kids why do I need a 4 door for.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clark Griswold

I have a 13 JKUS fully loaded, leather, Nav etc. It has been very dusty and dirty inside from a long wheeling trip with the roof off, mud on the seats and rained on heavily as I got caught at work with the roof off and one of those pop up storms here in the Mid-West. I had to use the leaf blower to clean out the dirt, the seats clean up really easy and all the electronics worked fine even soaking wet. They are designed to take this as they don't want excess warranty issues. Once it is all cleaned up it still smells like new, absolutely love the creature comforts for a daily driver as I traded in a Lexus IS 350.

StrizzyChris

I have every option and will say that a jeep with a soft top, plus mt's, plus any kind of exhaust that is loud = Bluetooth useless! Navigation with phones any more is a bonus but I think Google maps/navigation is better than any OEM software. Will never own a 4door without power windows or locks.

Top Bottom