Daily Driver Ride Quality

Lencho

I am the original owner of a 2018 Sahara JLU, on Mickey Thompson Baja
Boss A/T 33.x12.50r17 on 17x9,-12 wheels. I have noticed a significant change in the ride quality, I suspect my shocks are spent. Note that I am currently in Louisiana, where the roads are as bad as the worst in the nation. Paved roads are washboards, filled with random potholes, exposed manhole covers, railroad track crossings, and some low areas covered in sand and rock from washouts. I use my Jeep to get me from point A to B and depend on it to handle the short cuts I create as well as the curbs I have to climb to get my self out of traffic. Truth is a my Jeep was originally purchased as a support vehicle, that could rescue my clients, when their island roads are impassable in their tiny cars.

I only require a minimal lift and ride quality is a preference. I have discovered the Clayton 1.5" Overland+ lift kit https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-15-overland-lift-kit-2018-jl-jl-4xe.
An offroad shop recommended the Teraflex St2 and the Falcon SP2 shocks, plus rear lower control arms. The Fox series 2 shocks are also an option for either lift kit.

Are either of these going to achieve my goal of a smoother ride on the crap Louisiana roads?

jeeeep

Hooked
I am the original owner of a 2018 Sahara JLU, on Mickey Thompson Baja
Boss A/T 33.x12.50r17 on 17x9,-12 wheels. I have noticed a significant change in the ride quality, I suspect my shocks are spent. Note that I am currently in Louisiana, where the roads are as bad as the worst in the nation. Paved roads are washboards, filled with random potholes, exposed manhole covers, railroad track crossings, and some low areas covered in sand and rock from washouts. I use my Jeep to get me from point A to B and depend on it to handle the short cuts I create as well as the curbs I have to climb to get my self out of traffic. Truth is a my Jeep was originally purchased as a support vehicle, that could rescue my clients, when their island roads are impassable in their tiny cars.

I only require a minimal lift and ride quality is a preference. I have discovered the Clayton 1.5" Overland+ lift kit https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-wrangler-15-overland-lift-kit-2018-jl-jl-4xe.
An offroad shop recommended the Teraflex St2 and the Falcon SP2 shocks, plus rear lower control arms. The Fox series 2 shocks are also an option for either lift kit.

Are either of these going to achieve my goal of a smoother ride on the crap Louisiana roads?
offroad shop makes more income from what they "recommend" I've got Falcon shocks on my JKU and can tell you they are shit, they are supposedly rebuildable and maintainable but only if you send them back to teraflex on your dime.

I've also had Clayton and they stand behind their products, my JKU rode great on their coil/shock combo.

Are you planning on a larger tire? if not, I would replace the shocks (IMO Monroe, Bilstein make nice riding OEM shocks) and drop pressure on the tires to smooth out the ride. I should include Rancho adjustable shocks; you can tune them to your liking for a reasonable price.

Lencho

Before you spend a dime, how much air are you running in your tires?
At 28K miles I replaced the stock wheels and tires and after chalk testing, I am running 30psi. The psi and roads have not changed, the ride quality has diminished over the last several months to a point that I now notice every flaw in these horrendous roads.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
At 28K miles I replaced the stock wheels and tires and after chalk testing, I am running 30psi. The psi and roads have not changed, the ride quality has diminished over the last several months to a point that I now notice every flaw in these horrendous roads.
Okay, I was just asking because I'm pretty sure your tires are a Load Range D and that can feel pretty firm but they should be okay at about 30 psi.

Regarding your ride, would you say that it feels overly bouncy or too firm/harsh?

Lencho

offroad shop makes more income from what they "recommend" I've got Falcon shocks on my JKU and can tell you they are shit, they are supposedly rebuildable and maintainable but only if you send them back to teraflex on your dime.

I've also had Clayton and they stand behind their products, my JKU rode great on their coil/shock combo.

Are you planning on a larger tire? if not, I would replace the shocks (IMO Monroe, Bilstein make nice riding OEM shocks) and drop pressure on the tires to smooth out the ride. I should include Rancho adjustable shocks; you can tune them to your liking for a reasonable price.
I run MT Baja Boss A/T 33x12.50 and do not plan on 35s. My psi after chalk testing is 30psi. I would like a short lift as the occasional road to parking lot dips are so bad that I just lick the plastic rear fender liner. A short lift will correct this, as my plea to the Governor about road improvements has fallen on deaf ears and blind eyes.
With your imput and others I am starting to lean away from the Falcon Shocks. Thank you.

Lencho

Okay, I was just asking because I'm pretty sure your tires are a Load Range D and that can feel pretty firm but they should be okay at about 30 psi.

Regarding your ride, would you say that it feels overly bouncy or too firm/harsh?
Id say for 44k miles it felt good, and over the last 3-4k miles the ride has gotten rough and bouncy. That tells me shocks. I figure that I can easily convince the wife that a short lift with the shocks will be a wise budget expense. Note: that we travel monthly about 3-8hours with a full load. So I am guessing, along with the worn out shocks I may have worn out the springs.
When the Jeep goes in for what ever I decide on, it is also getting a new front bumper, & winch. Possibly a new rear bumper too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Id say for 44k miles it felt good, and over the last 3-4k miles the ride has gotten rough and bouncy. That tells me shocks. I figure that I can easily convince the wife that a short lift with the shocks will be a wise budget expense. Note: that we travel monthly about 3-8hours with a full load. So I am guessing, along with the worn out shocks I may have worn out the springs.
When the Jeep goes in for what ever I decide on, it is also getting a new front bumper, & winch. Possibly a new rear bumper too.
Okay, if what you're feeling is bouncy, your shocks are no longer controlling rebound and they're probably worn out. Unless you've modified your bump stops to be shorter, your coils should be fine. If it were me, I would start by looking for a set of take off Rubicon shocks. Most people just give them away and installing them will help you to determine if that's what you needed. Otherwise, I personally would recommend something like a Rancho RS7MT and mainly because they're nice, super affordable and come in a ton of sizes including stock.

Lencho

Okay, if what you're feeling is bouncy, your shocks are no longer controlling rebound and they're probably worn out. Unless you've modified your bump stops to be shorter, your coils should be fine. If it were me, I would start by looking for a set of take off Rubicon shocks. Most people just give them away and installing them will help you to determine if that's what you needed. Otherwise, I personally would recommend something like a Rancho RS7MT and mainly because they're nice, super affordable and come in a ton of sizes including stock.
Thank you for confirming my suspicion that my shocks are worn out. $1000 for a set of good shocks is fine. Additionally, I am wanting to find an accommodating lift, 1.5-2".

Attachments

• Jeep.jpeg
    Jeep.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 4
Top Bottom