daily driver tire question

tonywjk

The wife's jeep needs tires, daily driver (city etc). Looking at Wrangler SRA's or Cooper Discoverer A T3. Any thoughts?

904Jeep

The stock SRA's lasted me 50,000 miles. Living in Florida the traction in rain could have been better.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're looking for a good AT tire, I might recommend the Toyo AT2's or even the new Nitto Exo Grapplers.

Cajun JK

I have the Goodyear SRA's and they are junk. My jeep hydro planes every time it rains. And I even dropped the air pressure down and still slides around.

I just put a set of Goodyear DuraTracs on my JK. it's my daily driver and this is my first set if tires after the factory tires. I love them! No road noise, very smooth ride and the tread is aggressive enough to get off the beaten path with confidence. Plus they have plenty of siping for wet/icy traction. I live in Philly and I expect they will be great this winter. No issues at all with hydroplaning so far in rain. Just giving you another option to consider. Good luck with your choice!

JKWrang

I just put a set of Goodyear DuraTracs on my JK. it's my daily driver and this is my first set if tires after the factory tires. I love them! No road noise, very smooth ride and the tread is aggressive enough to get off the beaten path with confidence. Plus they have plenty of siping for wet/icy traction. I live in Philly and I expect they will be great this winter. No issues at all with hydroplaning so far in rain. Just giving you another option to consider. Good luck with your choice!

I second this

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKMag

I had a set of Duratracs on my last Wrangler and they worked very well in the MN winters, I would recommend them as they are one of the lighter tires and had great winter traction. I may get another set when the OEM tires wear out unless i want to go 37s.

joeyprice

Another vote for the Dura Tracs. I had a set on my TJ, and while we don't get a lot of weather down here they performed very well when 3" of snow and ice shut down an entire metro of 5mm people.

FWIW, my Coopers (not ATs) wore very quickly.

Last edited:

bking_1

I'm running the Toyo AT2 extremes and love them. No issues so far and they are quiet on the hiway.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I would recommend either the Toyo Open Country AT2 or the Cooper AT3. I run the AT3 now in 315/70R17s and have been happy with them. However, I am going with an M/T for my next set. The Toyo is a good option as well. Toyo and Nitto are sister companies, but in my opinion the Toyo A/T looks better than Nitto's Terra Grappler. Also the Toyo is available in white letter on select sizes, where the Nitto's are black wall only

Thirdcoast

Local shop here in Grand Rapids Michigan pushed me to the Toyo At2 vs. the duratrac. I am buying the same for my wife's DD. The shop mentioned it is a much better AT tire than the Duratrac. Eddie, please correct us newer jeepers if we are mislead.

noroad

Local shop here in Grand Rapids Michigan pushed me to the Toyo At2 vs. the duratrac. I am buying the same for my wife's DD. The shop mentioned it is a much better AT tire than the Duratrac. Eddie, please correct us newer jeepers if we are mislead.

Eddie is away on JKX might be acouple more days till he is back.

jeeeep

Hooked
I've lived in Utah/Colorado and still drive there during the winter months. I've used both Duratrac and Toyo in winter/ice conditions - what I like about the Duratrac is it can be studded. Other than that, they are both a good winter tire. I now run BFG KO, BFG now makes the KO2 which looks like a good winter all around tire.

As mentioned, I run the BFG KO and carry a set of chains when I travel to snow areas, I've only had to use the chains once in about the last 4 years and it was here in TX - we had 2" of solid ice for several days ...go figure

nicholsmf

Those would suck on the Ice in Jersey during the winter. They would need 2 sets of tires then.

I'm about to enter my 4th winter in NY on trail grapplers with no past issues and no future concerns.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dean454

I agree for a good all around tire.

CanadianJK

Another vote for duratracs. They're on my grand Cherokee, and they work well in Canadian winter. I figured they were a good compromise for me to get it off-road occasionally and my wife be safe driving on unplowed highways.

Top Bottom