Dawson Los Manos Canyon Reserve

Moochie

Next to my house is a large section of land that was donated to the State of California by a woman named Ida Dawson (deceased). She was a direct descendant of one of the original homesteaders of the Vista / Carlsbad area. Of this land, almost 200 acres was placed in the control of the University of California, San Diego.
http://nrs.ucsd.edu/dawson.html
This ecological reserve is surrounded by a chain link fence with access limited to UCSD personnel. Many times I have looked through the fence wondering what it is like on the other side.
Last Saturday I got the chance to enter the reserve with a group of other curious locals, thanks to an organization called preservecalavera.org. The 2 hour tour was led by the UCSD reserve manager. It was like taking a step back in time and seeing what the area looked like before modern development.

On the way to the entrance gate, poison oak growing in the burnt stump of a eucalyptus tree
image.jpg

Through the gate
image.jpg image.jpg

Lots of oak trees, poison oak and a cool foot bridge
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

This is the reserve headquarters
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

One of two weather stations
image.jpg

This old, gigantic sycamore tree was named after a Vista educator who was a good friend of Ida Dawson. Eugene Mielcarek. This was one of his favorite places in the reserve. After his passing Eugene's ashes were spread out under the tree. It is called the Mielcarek tree in his honor. This biology teacher was also my instructor when I attended high school back in the early 70's.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

A few more photos of the trail
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
great pics moochie! looks like it was an awesome time being able to have access to this limited access area

Top Bottom