do i need wheel spacers?

hawklee

on a 2012 JKU with a 3.5" lift and 35's, and 4.5 in backspacing on wheels?
getting new wheels and tires installed this weekend

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
on a 2012 JKU with a 3.5" lift and 35's, and 4.5 in backspacing on wheels?
getting new wheels and tires installed this weekend

If you mean that your new wheels will have 4.5" of back spacing, no, you will not need additional wheel spacers.

thats what i thought but as the time draws closer I'm nervous they won't fit as I've seen others say with similar lifts and tires, they still have spacers or rub at full turn

Right but factory backspace is 6.25 minus the 1.5 gives you 4.75 if used with a factory wheel.

ChaosNein

thats what i thought but as the time draws closer I'm nervous they won't fit as I've seen others say with similar lifts and tires, they still have spacers or rub at full turn

again, "short answer" ... depending on what lift, what shock, what tire, etc... there are situations that you could have some rubbing. But for the most part, 4.5" of BS is fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

4.5" of back spacing isn't ideal but it will be enough to work. Your rear sway bar links will clear just fine but you might see some rubbing at a full turn especially if your axle is off center a bit. You can add washers to your steer stops to correct for this - cheap easy fix.

hawklee

4.5" of back spacing isn't ideal but it will be enough to work. Your rear sway bar links will clear just fine but you might see some rubbing at a full turn especially if your axle is off center a bit. You can add washers to your steer stops to correct for this - cheap easy fix.

whats ideal back spacing? it was recommended to me to get as close to 5 inches as possible, to keep the tires from sticking out too far as in PA tires can't extend past the fender flares

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
whats ideal back spacing? it was recommended to me to get as close to 5 inches as possible, to keep the tires from sticking out too far as in PA tires can't extend past the fender flares

Being that you have state specific requirements, that is what would be ideal for you.

hawklee

Being that you have state specific requirements, that is what would be ideal for you.

I'm thinking closer to 5 will more likely rub and 4.5 or closer to 4 or less won't rub? is that accurate, just curious as i already have the wheels

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking closer to 5 will more likely rub and 4.5 or closer to 4 or less won't rub? is that accurate, just curious as i already have the wheels

The less back spacing you have, the less rubbing you will see. But, the less you have, the more your tires will stick out past your fenders.

JakeJK

I'll be running 315/70r17s soon on stock wheels with 1.5 inch spacers, I'm assuming I'll need to do this, is there a write up on it somewhere? Or at least some pictures or something? Considering I don't know where the steer stops are

GoldenJK

Don't think just backspacing. Its more than just that since the width of the rim matters too. Assume a 12.5" section width tire on a 10" rim with 4.5" BS. The tire overhangs the rim by 1.25" on both sides. Take that plus the 4.5" backspacing means the inside edge of your tire is 5.75" inside from your hub and the outside edge is 6.75". A 9" rim moves that closer in another 0.5" (tire over hangs 1.75" plus 4.5 BS = 6.25" to inside and 6.25" to outside edge). Comments about backspacing should include rim width especially if you are trying to avoid rubbing.

Ddays

Hooked
I'm from Pa as well (Pittsburgh area) and honestly I don't understand why guys stress so much about tires sticking out past the fenders. Seriously, I couldn't count how many Jeeps I see every day with the tires well past the fenders. Mine stick out a full 3 inches and I have never ever had an issue. I was even in an accident two months ago and with 6 officers on the scene not one word was said. My nephew is an officer and I asked him if he would ever pull someone over for the tire issue and he just laughed at me and said never. Now he did say that if he pulled someone over and they were giving him shit about the stop, he'd be sure to add the tire violation to the citation.

I think those guys that run the diesel pickups with the low profile tires that stick out like 6 inches or more would have more to worry about than you would with maybe one or two inches. If it makes you feel better ask an officer for his opinion. They aren't boogermen. They'll give it to you straight.:thumb:

hawklee

I'm from Pa as well (Pittsburgh area) and honestly I don't understand why guys stress so much about tires sticking out past the fenders. Seriously, I couldn't count how many Jeeps I see every day with the tires well past the fenders. Mine stick out a full 3 inches and I have never ever had an issue. I was even in an accident two months ago and with 6 officers on the scene not one word was said. My nephew is an officer and I asked him if he would ever pull someone over for the tire issue and he just laughed at me and said never. Now he did say that if he pulled someone over and they were giving him shit about the stop, he'd be sure to add the tire violation to the citation.

I think those guys that run the diesel pickups with the low profile tires that stick out like 6 inches or more would have more to worry about than you would with maybe one or two inches. If it makes you feel better ask an officer for his opinion. They aren't boogermen. They'll give it to you straight.:thumb:

More concerned about the inspection. Those guys don't want to put their name or shops name on the line. I doubt cops would care, kinda like full tinted windows, they may pull you but if your cool, respectful and on the up and up, their not gonna care or cite you.

Ddays

Hooked
More concerned about the inspection. Those guys don't want to put their name or shops name on the line. I doubt cops would care, kinda like full tinted windows, they may pull you but if your cool, respectful and on the up and up, their not gonna care or cite you.

:confused: If the cops don't care why would the inspection stations worry? Same statement I made above goes for inspections. If I didn't get a ticket or have anyone even glance at my tire/fenders at the scene of an accident why stress?

Do you know the guys that do your inspections? I've been taking my vehicles to the same guy for 27 years. It helps. I said in another post that sometimes you have to let them do a $25 air filter installation now and then. Then when something like this comes up you don't even have to worry about it.

Ddays

Hooked
LOL.... you're worried about the wheels sticking out. I almost forgot... wheel spacers are illegal in PA!
Just leave them off if you do decide to go with them when you take to be inspected and reinstall afterwards.

hawklee

Not too worried, but this is my first time with oversized tires and just going off what others feedback has been and what some of the local shops that gave me quotes for wheels and tires said. I figure since they brought it up it could be an issue down the road.

Thanks for the feedback, i dont think ill have an issue based on what i bought, but was also trying to get an understanding of how backspacing and spacers work, what the numbers mean and such.

Ddays

Hooked
I understand. With some of the crap I see rolling down our roads, someone driving a nice well maintained vehicle doesn't have to worry.

Good luck! Post some picks when you get everything mounted up!

Top Bottom