Do You STARLINK

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Now that Cindy and I are spending more and more time out at the Edge of Pizen, we decided that we needed something more than just the weak LTE that we get on our phones for internet. And, after looking into our options, which were few to none (certainly no cable, no fiber, no 5G networking) piss poor Hugesnet and Rango, we decided to pick up a STARLINK system. In fact, we got it in the ROAM option so that we could take it out to our other properties and use it there as well. And, I have to say, I'm really impressed with it! It's compact, lightweight, sets up quickly and works surprisingly well.

Here's some shot of the box it came.
IMG_1393.jpg

I should note that this is a GEN 3 STARLINK and so it no longer comes with or requires the tripod mount - just a kickstand like prop and that makes it a lot slimmer and mobile for transporting and super easy to setup just about anywhere.
IMG_1398.jpg

Here's a shot of the router that they provide as well. And yes, I do just have it sitting on a cardboard box in the old garage but mainly because I to test it out.
IMG_1396.jpg

I should note that the STARLINK app is super easy to use and so far, I've been getting speeds of over 400 Mbps down and almost 40 Mbps up which is better than what we get in Carson City with cable internet.
IMG_1405.jpg

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you STARLINK as well? I would love to know what you're seeing and maybe use this thread to help share thoughts and ideas on it :cool:

Spazbyt

Hooked
That's some impressive speeds! I have been thinking about buying one for the RV. Years ago we used Dish Network for TV and you could pause the service when you weren't using it. Is that an option for Star Link?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's some impressive speeds! I have been thinking about buying one for the RV. Years ago we used Dish Network for TV and you could pause the service when you weren't using it. Is that an option for Star Link?
Yes. You buy the equipment and then STARLINK is a month to month service. The ROAM option, something you'd need for an RV, is only $150 a month too.

Last motorcycle trip to Baja someone in our group packed a STARLINK system in his panniers. I was super impressed with how well it worked. I’ve thought about adding it to my Motorcycle travel setup when I take my long treks out in the sticks.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I had starlink when I was at my old cabin and loved it. The only other options like you mentioned is the weak LTE service or we also had a slow 25 mbps internet service. Starlink blew both of those out of the water!

I’m glad that you are happy with it!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That’s pretty cool. We have gig service with xfinity and it is less than half the cost of the starlink so wouldn’t make sense for us. I did look at it before we moved here but it was two years out to get the equipment too.

CalSgt

Hooked
The only complaint I've heard about the roam package is when away from the home location the starlink bandwidth suffers during "peak" or "Primetime" hours. One of my buddies explained that his system would get the lowest priority during the evening when he likes to watch TV, and really the only time he needs internet.

My parents have one at their house and it has been flawless though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That’s pretty cool. We have gig service with xfinity and it is less than half the cost of the starlink so wouldn’t make sense for us. I did look at it before we moved here but it was two years out to get the equipment too.
Oh yeah, if you can get xfinity, there'd be no need for something like STARLINK. If you get the home setup, it is quite a bit cheaper but we wanted something we could take around with us like out to our Tin Camp. As far as equipment goes, it's hard to believe that you can buy the GEN 3 ones off the shelf at Bestbuy now and that's what we did.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The only complaint I've heard about the roam package is when away from the home location the starlink bandwidth suffers during "peak" or "Primetime" hours. One of my buddies explained that his system would get the lowest priority during the evening when he likes to watch TV, and really the only time he needs internet.

My parents have one at their house and it has been flawless though.
Do you know what GEN system your friend and your parents have? I specifically wanted the GEN 3 because I read it and the router were better.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! I got to try it out at KOH this year for the first time and was super impressed with the speed. My nerd side really wants one but can’t really justify having one for the small amount of times I could have used it.
Oh yeah, there'd be no point for us to get one if we had better options available. I looked into Verizon and T-Mobile 5G internet and it's a fraction of the cost and way faster but unavailable even at our Carson City home. And, I know this because I tried it there and got ZERO service :(

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
We install a decent amount of starlink antennas onto RV’s and they work really well. Deff a good investment for you guys having this at the house and wouldn’t be bad to have in the jeep while your out in the open desert

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Now that Cindy and I are spending more and more time out at the Edge of Pizen, we decided that we needed something more than just the weak LTE that we get on our phones for internet. And, after looking into our options, which were few to none (certainly no cable, no fiber, no 5G networking) piss poor Hugesnet and Rango, we decided to pick up a STARLINK system. In fact, we got it in the ROAM option so that we could take it out to our other properties and use it there as well. And, I have to say, I'm really impressed with it! It's compact, lightweight, sets up quickly and works surprisingly well.

Here's some shot of the box it came.
View attachment 405941

I should note that this is a GEN 3 STARLINK and so it no longer comes with or requires the tripod mount - just a kickstand like prop and that makes it a lot slimmer and mobile for transporting and super easy to setup just about anywhere.
View attachment 405942

Here's a shot of the router that they provide as well. And yes, I do just have it sitting on a cardboard box in the old garage but mainly because I to test it out.
View attachment 405943

I should note that the STARLINK app is super easy to use and so far, I've been getting speeds of over 400 Mbps down and almost 40 Mbps up which is better than what we get in Carson City with cable internet.
View attachment 405944

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you STARLINK as well? I would love to know what you're seeing and maybe use this thread to help share thoughts and ideas on it :cool:

We have been looking at them and will likely get one. Being able to take it with you is a big selling point for us. Really interested in hearing how it works out for you.

I've heard good things about this system and see it being more commonly used recently, such as atop those off road Sprinter van builds or being setup at camp. Not something I've ever thought of but it seems very viable in a situation such as yours. And it sounds like something out of Star Trek, pretty cool haha.

jeeeep

Hooked
So, what you're saying is now that you have great access, we should expect more adventure/ maintenance/ upgrade videos no matter where you are? :LOL:

I've had the chance to use it in some pretty remote areas and it works well; a friend uses it in areas where there are a lot of cell towers but because there are so many, the service is shitty.

I'm considering ordering the roam even though it may not get much use, I like that they offer the option to pause the service with the roam option.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We install a decent amount of starlink antennas onto RV’s and they work really well. Deff a good investment for you guys having this at the house and wouldn’t be bad to have in the jeep while your out in the open desert
Not sure I'd ever really want to take this on the trail with us especially when I try really hard not to even use my phone other than to take pics. In fact, I typically turn my phone on airplane mode while exploring/wheeling just to make sure I don't get any messages. But yes, it's definitely something we could really use at our properties :)
We have been looking at them and will likely get one. Being able to take it with you is a big selling point for us. Really interested in hearing how it works out for you.
So far, I have found the new Gen 3 to work really well. I really like that it's so much more compact than the Gen 2 and from what I've read, the router performs better in terms of range. Hope to post up more as I use it more and in different places.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, what you're saying is now that you have great access, we should expect more adventure/ maintenance/ upgrade videos no matter where you are? :LOL:

I've had the chance to use it in some pretty remote areas and it works well; a friend uses it in areas where there are a lot of cell towers but because there are so many, the service is shitty.

I'm considering ordering the roam even though it may not get much use, I like that they offer the option to pause the service with the roam option.
Being able to pay month to month was a big selling point for us. Turn it one when we think we'll be using it and turn it off when we won't. This as opposed to being locked into a service plan is a big plus.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So, being that we did buy STARLINK to take around with us, I got this handy carrying bag for it.
IMG_1438.jpg

As you can see, it comes with compartments for the router, power supply, cables and of course, the main dish.
IMG_1440.jpg IMG_1439.jpg IMG_1441.jpg IMG_1442.jpg

Also, what's cool about it is that it can be carried like a backpack.
IMG_1443.jpg

Jsouder53

Hooked
Top Bottom