Drunk Driver vs. Offroad Evolution Quarter Pounder

thedrod

Took me a while to post this but on August 9th, I had a bit of a life changing experience.

I was sitting in a left hand turn lane and a drunk driver going the opposite direction decided to run the red light and swerved to avoid a car crossing in his path.
He veers and his 2005 Impala strikes me head on at 70mph.......

As I see his headlights, a thought goes through my head that says "It's going to be ok."

BAM!

Everything quiets down and I look around and everything on my body seems to be in one piece.
I get out and look at the other car, at the time I couldn't even tell what it was.

IMG_7587.jpg

Tons of witnesses are already swarming us before I decide to get out of the vehicle.

Ambulances arrive and a Life Flight helicopter is called for the other driver.

I get out and see people are checking out the other driver. I walk around and look at my damage.

IMG_7609.jpg

The photo is only at the junkyard, the night pics didn't turn out.
Basically as I see it, the Offroad Evolution Quarter Pounder guided him underneath my vehicle and into the axle and tires.
The bumper didn't budge.
The trucklites still work.
The winch still works.

In fact, the insurance replaced my Rubicon, and I reinstalled the SAME Evo bumper, the SAME winch and SAME trucklites.
I debated a while about touching up the scrapes and scratches on the stinger.

IMG_7905.jpg

IMG_7915.jpg

I would also like to note that the King Shocks did not break, they bent. Amazing.
The evo control arms also did not bend, they simply ripped the control arm brackets off the front axle.

IMG_7613.jpg

Despite the apparent lack of damage, the frame and body completely shifted about 2 inches off from one another. Probably the reason they totaled the vehicle.

I'm pushing 40 years old and I've never had an accident in all my years.
So I had a lot of thoughts go through my head.
1. He picked the right guy to hit.
2. I'm glad I was there so he didn't hit a family in a sedan.
3. You are never safe from the irresponsibility of others at any time.
4. Don't buy Smittybilt.

Glad I'm still here.
I hope ya'll benefit from sharing my experience.

EDIT:
Here is the plate coming for the new Rubicon.
MAde possible with the Logo from my alma mater.

11218455_513908248775827_6205200748683808181_n.jpg

Photos of the day I took delivery of both.
jeeps.jpg

Last edited:

Exodus 4x4

Wow... Thanks for sharing and glad you're still with us. This whole write up is a testament of how you get what you pay for. I'm sold on the 1/4 pounder.

Angry Aussie

Glad your ok!! That had to have been scary seeing him coming at you head on. Sorry about your rig but glad you got a new one and got to keep your bumper lights and winch. Thanks for sharing your story

Jeep Bro 08

Glad ur stinger worked for u.thats exactly why i put one on my jeep. Well and for the Cool Factor. But mainly for a wreck

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
I'm glad to hear you were not injured. Also am glad to hear no one else was hit. What a great quality product can do. It's awesome that you are actually still able to use the bumper.

David1tontj

Wow. Glad to hear it turned out okay! The stinger directing the car downward seems like the key to your jeeps success, and probably lessened the impact on you as well.

I like all the points you brought up, and they are very true!

JerseyJK

Damn dude. Glad you're ok. Had the same thing happen to me but I was sitting on a motorcycle and the guy was luckily only doing 55 in a 35. Took a year to get back to somewhat normal. It's life changing that's for sure.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Holy cow! Happy to know you're OK. I've always wondered if the extra cost of admission for the 1/4 Pounder and monster stinger was worth it. Never thought of on road benefits. I do now. Thx for posting up.:yup:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wow! Glad to see your ok! It's great to see the products do there job as well and hold up to that type of hit!

I loled hard at #4

Bryantengland14

Wow man. Glad to hear you're okay and that you could use some of your old parts!
I would have left the battle scares on the bumper. It'd make a good story!

Good. Ness. Thats nuts. Glad to see it protected you from that jackass. Merican made baby! Great to hear you were ok and the Rubi was replaced.

ITLL GO

Holy crap! Always joked about someone backing into the stinger in the city. But never thought about a head on. Glad you're safe!

Jegar

Damn dude. Glad you're ok. Had the same thing happen to me but I was sitting on a motorcycle and the guy was luckily only doing 55 in a 35. Took a year to get back to somewhat normal. It's life changing that's for sure.

That must be an amazing story you have, as well!

TLC Offroad

Good you got out safe and walked away from a head on not many do. I know that My new bumper will have a stinger on it for sure after seeing what kind of a shot it took.

Top Bottom