DS and Pinion angle

TerraJL

Finished my lift. The DS is at 8.7 degrees and pinion is at 6.2 degrees which makes a 2.5 degree difference. With the OEM JL driveshaft and a 2.5" lift, I'm hoping that's within spec. I was told 2-3 degrees. Any thoughts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Finished my lift. The DS is at 8.7 degrees and pinion is at 6.2 degrees which makes a 2.5 degree difference. With the OEM JL driveshaft and a 2.5" lift, I'm hoping that's within spec. I was told 2-3 degrees. Any thoughts?
Rear pinion angle really only matters if you're running an aftermarket u-joint style double cardan drive shaft. Doesn't matter with the factory shaft being that it uses rzeppa joints.

Did you put a spacer in above the carrier bearing?
He has a Wrangler, shafts aren’t long enough to need a carrier bearing given it’s not a truck.

You’ll be fine, really depends on how often you’ll be flexing it out hard. I have a 2.5 lift as well but on 2 door and never had a problem with the rear, only the front but after screwing up my caster angle anyhow which was my own fault - and because rzeppa. You should be good given it’s a JL 4 door with a longer rear shaft anyway.

Top Bottom