Dual battery setup

Blackhawkip

My Yeti 400 fried itself (the inverter) after not that much use. Goal Zero was great about replacement though and I am hoping it was a one time problem. Your pic shows both the Boulder 90 and the Nomad 100. I'm curious to know which of the two is giving you better real world watt input.

My Boulder 90 is hard-mounted on my AEV roof rack and goes directly to the Solar controller and into my 2nd Odyssey battery 24/7. The Nomad 100 is portable and I can use it to plug into the controller for additional charging potential (limited to a max of 90 watts/6.0 amps) which is nice on a cloudy or less than optimal solar days. I primarily use the Nomad 100 to charge the Yeti 400. I have not plugged both the Nomad and Boulder into the Yeti at the same time to see the maximum input of both. I can also plug the Yeti into my WestMarine 12v outlet in the back or the solar controller to charge it while driving.

I also have a Tentrax trailer with Optima red top that I can charge with either the Boulder or the Nomad. Lots of flexibility with the setup.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Try looking into Northstar. It's the X2 battery at batteries plus. 99% virgin lead. Designed by the lead engineer who quit Odyssey and started Northstar. I've been through lots of batteries in my bass boat when I tournament fished including, Sears Platinum, Odyssey and Optima. It's a good battery that takes a beating, has excellent reserve capacity and can handle many cycles.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

I did some research on the X2 you mentioned. Everything is pointing to that the X2 from batteries plus is in fact a northstar brand and it is made by people once associated with odyssey batteries.
They have a 5 year warranty and specs are pretty much same as odyssey.

I think I'll be going with this brand. Thanks for the tip!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Basscat

I did some research on the X2 you mentioned. Everything is pointing to that the X2 from batteries plus is in fact a northstar brand and it is made by people once associated with odyssey batteries.
They have a 5 year warranty and specs are pretty much same as odyssey.

I think I'll be going with this brand. Thanks for the tip!!!!

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It truly has worked very well for me in the past. Have one in my JKUR right now.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I don't think you'll be disappointed. It truly has worked very well for me in the past. Have one in my JKUR right now.

I finally got everything I need for my dual battery setup
IMG_4170.jpg

The guy in Batteries Plus was surprised that I knew that these batteries are in fact Northstar batteries. He said I am the first person to walk in and mention that.
I wish I had time to install these today...

Thanks again for the tip!!!

.....…...............................................................
MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

jorgelrod

Hooked
View attachment 248673

The guy in Batteries Plus was surprised that I knew that these batteries are in fact Northstar batteries. He said I am the first person to walk in and mention that.

MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

Enjoy man, great buy!!

jeffj

Caught the Bug
View attachment 248673

Nice, this really looks like awesome set up. This is going to be my next upgrade

Basscat

View attachment 248673

Glad you found what you wanted!

TrailHunter

Hooked
VeruGE*144-

Was wondering how you like the Genesis setup? Would you still recommend it? Do you think it's overkill to run a fridge, winch, arb twin, CB, extra lights etc...

jorgelrod

Hooked
VeruGE*144-

Was wondering how you like the Genesis setup? Would you still recommend it? Do you think it's overkill to run a fridge, winch, arb twin, CB, extra lights etc...

Whenever I think it might be overkill, I walk to the back, open the fridge and get a cold water/soda/beer and my worries go away...

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
VeruGE*144-

Whenever I think it might be overkill, I walk to the back, open the fridge and get a cold water/soda/beer and my worries go away...

What ever jorgelord said...
I think it's worth it even though I don't have a fridge yet. Just running twin compressor, winch, some led, I also have an upgraded sound system with an amplifier and a sub.
For me it's also having an extra battery is a big plus since I fried a battery at an off-road park and no one was really willing to give a jump, ended up calling roadside assistance and they found a shop nearby and a kind man came out with a jumper and a flatbed in case I needed a tow. The jumper ended up being enough to get my jeep stared and I limped it back to the guys shop with all my gauges freaking out and not having much power at all. He just gave me a battery so I can get back home 100miles away.
I was lucky my battery died on a parking lot rather than the woods.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Looking to do the same only on an '08 JKUR....post an update once you have it on and let us know

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I have it in for a few moths now, haven't had any problems with it. I like all the extra terminals on there so I can hook bunch of stuff up to it. I also spent the extra money and got theirs g screen so I can see the voltage on both batteries.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
What ever jorgelord said...
I think it's worth it even though I don't have a fridge yet. Just running twin compressor, winch, some led, I also have an upgraded sound system with an amplifier and a sub.
For me it's also having an extra battery is a big plus since I fried a battery at an off-road park and no one was really willing to give a jump, ended up calling roadside assistance and they found a shop nearby and a kind man came out with a jumper and a flatbed in case I needed a tow. The jumper ended up being enough to get my jeep stared and I limped it back to the guys shop with all my gauges freaking out and not having much power at all. He just gave me a battery so I can get back home 100miles away.
I was lucky my battery died on a parking lot rather than the woods.

Edit: let me add to that, I do plan to drive my jeep out all the way to the west coast, probably like a good 2 week vacation just visiting all the cool parks etc. and hitting a trail every time I get a chance. Having 2 batteries is very appealing because if my cranking battery takes a dump on me I can just re wire everything to the good battery and go on with my day.

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
I have it in for a few moths now, haven't had any problems with it. I like all the extra terminals on there so I can hook bunch of stuff up to it. I also spent the extra money and got theirs g screen so I can see the voltage on both batteries.

Awesome! I'm definitely going to have to run one now. We just bought our JKUR and it came with the Optima red top so wanting to get an Optima Yellow top as well. Just makes things easier it seems. Thank you for the feedback! Looking to add lots of accessories so it will make everything headache-free hopefully.... Or as little headache as possible

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom