Dumb a$$!

JRied

Stupid moment number 1:

First trip to rausch, on day 3 of the weekend. Couple friends who didn't make it the first 2 days showed up on the last day. One of them was apprehensive about doing crawler Ridge. I had done it on my first day and thought I'd show them how easy it was.

Picked a crappy line because I was showing off and all "pro" because I had been there once and by God it made me an expert of all things related to said obstacle. Had to back up and start over. Didn't notice a fallen log straddling the trail, ended up straddling the log with my driver side knuckle pinned up on the log, and a big ass rock right on my rear bumper, and a tree a few feet ahead of me. I couldn't have gotten in this spot if I tried to do it again on purpose. It was like parallel parking for morons and I was the star of the show.

It took my winch and then a winch out from one of my friends to get me unstuck. Second attempt I salvaged my pride and walked right up it. As did my apprehensive friend who got to see exactly what not to do.

Moral of the story: don't show off.

Bravo 👏👏👏👏

AMEChambers

Thought I would contribute yet another dumb ass moment to keep it going.... Tried to regear myself.... This is the aftermath... ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425404968.698409.jpg

I got it right the second time around at least...

bsimon187

I was in a rush one day to switch out my tops... Got the soft top off, lowered the hard top on the jeep, disconnected the front 2 hooks, drove out of the garage to tighten everything down. Well- I forgot to unhook the back hook. Dragged my top off of the back of the jeep, smashed to the ground, ripped the eye bolt out of my wall, slingshot into the ceiling and put a hole in garage ceiling. Luckily we get free glass replacement in SC, so free back glass, a little bondo, and line-x'd the entire hard top and looks like nothing ever happened.
IMG_0611.jpg IMG_0614.jpg IMG_0610.jpg

ERAUGrad04

Caught the Bug
I was in a rush one day to switch out my tops... Got the soft top off, lowered the hard top on the jeep, disconnected the front 2 hooks, drove out of the garage to tighten everything down. Well- I forgot to unhook the back hook. Dragged my top off of the back of the jeep, smashed to the ground, ripped the eye bolt out of my wall, slingshot into the ceiling and put a hole in garage ceiling. Luckily we get free glass replacement in SC, so free back glass, a little bondo, and line-x'd the entire hard top and looks like nothing ever happened.
View attachment 128330

Ouch!

I've only owned my Jeep about 8 months, however, I'm sure there are plenty of dumb moments in my future! :doh:

The worst one I can think of was recently I changed out my wheels and tires from 35" tires mounted to wheels with a lot of backspacing to 37" tires with about 1.7" less backspacing. I've had pulling the Jeep into the garage down to a science where I would keep it tight to the wall on the right side. This would give plenty of room to walk between the Jeep and my Wife's van. Well, I didn't take into account the wider stance and on my first attempt pulling into the garage I ripped the garage door opener "eye" right off the wall and twisted the bracket all to hell. :doh:

Speeddmn

And this is why its called ShittyBuilt!! So I thought it was strong enough to pull a small stump out of the ground after i chopped most of the roots up... Oh-well, this is why its expensive to be cheap. Lesson learned, glad it happened at home vs the trail tho. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425761313.455927.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1425761323.144393.jpg

RjSkippy

^^^ lets make it happen^^^. Share your dumb ass moments.... If anything it makes me feel a little better!

I like this idea... most of mine started with "yall watch this!" :cheesy: But can't tell you how many times I've damaged or scratched something because I wasn't thinking ahead or rushing to get stuff done.

AMEChambers

Wow this makes me feel a little uneasy. My dad just visited Jacksonville where I'm stationed... Noticed the hole in my bumper that's been there for a year... And bought me the 9.5 smittybilt winch... Has this smitty winch failure happened to anyone else?

JRied

I have the XRC 8 and my bro has the XRC 10 and we've pulled each other out of mud holes that were deeper then our tire... Also pulled a 26' box truck with 16,000lbs of ice out of mud (tandem pull)... We have Gen2 xrc's. I know the gen1 sucked ass and the gen3 came out a cpl months ago. No problems with ours as of yet

Speeddmn

I have the XRC 8 and my bro has the XRC 10 and we've pulled each other out of mud holes that were deeper then our tire... Also pulled a 26' box truck with 16,000lbs of ice out of mud (tandem pull)... We have Gen2 xrc's. I know the gen1 sucked ass and the gen3 came out a cpl months ago. No problems with ours as of yet

This was the second time I used it. Oddly enough haven't needed it on the trail. But i did pull two trees out of the flower bed last spring. Thinking of a Warm 9.5 power plant now and new EVO front bumper... Of the Zeon 10, so many options lol.

jeeeep

Hooked
Stupid moment number 1:

First trip to rausch, on day 3 of the weekend. Couple friends who didn't make it the first 2 days showed up on the last day. One of them was apprehensive about doing crawler Ridge. I had done it on my first day and thought I'd show them how easy it was.

Picked a crappy line because I was showing off and all "pro" because I had been there once and by God it made me an expert of all things related to said obstacle. Had to back up and start over. Didn't notice a fallen log straddling the trail, ended up straddling the log with my driver side knuckle pinned up on the log, and a big ass rock right on my rear bumper, and a tree a few feet ahead of me. I couldn't have gotten in this spot if I tried to do it again on purpose. It was like parallel parking for morons and I was the star of the show.

It took my winch and then a winch out from one of my friends to get me unstuck. Second attempt I salvaged my pride and walked right up it. As did my apprehensive friend who got to see exactly what not to do.

Moral of the story: don't show off.

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: this made me laugh...ahh the moments where something happens and no way you could do it if you actually tried

not too long ago I had just pulled into my driveway, stopped and my phone rang. That damn phone caused a moment of dead brain and I jumped out of the Jeep which was still in drive...I watched it idle into the garage door. I had a nice dent in it for a while, now I don't answer the phone until I shut the Jeep off :doh:

AlStew

I was in a rush installing my diff cover. Instead of getting everything snug with a small wrench then checking with a torque wrench. I thought I would save time by only using a torque wrench.

And what happened? I snapped a bolt and ended up wasting wayyyy more time and money.

JDDK

Broke 4 out of 6 plug wires last Sat changing plugs with my kid. Things were like welded on. At least I didnt crossthread and strip a plughole like I did in my old Taco once...

Top Bottom