Evo coilover question

SDHobbs

3.5" isn't much at all. How much of bump stocks do you run front / back? And what's your wheel backspacing? Your lift is around 3", right? I wonder if there's a room for increasing the up travel while keeping the lift height.
Don't remember what my bump stops are at but they are setup to where I can stuff my tires without getting into the fenders. Wheel backspacing is 3.5. I am at about 3" of lift, I will need to adjust the coilovers to 3.5" or more when I upgrade my tires. Looking to go 38's next year.

Giedrius

Don't remember what my bump stops are at but they are setup to where I can stuff my tires without getting into the fenders. Wheel backspacing is 3.5. I am at about 3" of lift, I will need to adjust the coilovers to 3.5" or more when I upgrade my tires. Looking to go 38's next year.
Thanks. I ordered 38s and wheels with 3.8 backspacing. Will see how everything will turn out.

Lperdue

I have about 3.5" of uptravel. At full droop the front passenger side shock does make slight contact with the frame, I only noticed when we had the Jeep on the Metalcloak CTI ramp fully flexed out, but it hasn't caused any issues after almost a year of wheeling. I could probably shift the axle a little more passenger and it might fix.
I ran into the same issue but be careful when you shift it. The upper control arms have pretty tight clearances and if you bias it to far passenger it will contact the inner frame. I found out the hard way lol.

SDHobbs

I ran into the same issue but be careful when you shift it. The upper control arms have pretty tight clearances and if you bias it to far passenger it will contact the inner frame. I found out the hard way lol.
Now that you mention it, we did run into this issue when the lift was first installed, passenger upper control arm was rubbing the frame, so axle was shifted more driver to clear. I'm going leave it as is and not mess with it.

Last edited:

Lperdue

Now that you mention it, we did run into this issue when the lift was first installed, passenger upper control arm was rubbing the frame, so axle was shifted more driver to clear. I'm not going leave it as is and not mess with it.
What I did was trim the coil spring perch to give more clearance. I haven’t had a chance to fully flex it out to see if that fixed everything.

rumshcawheely

I have the opposite regret on my JT. I went with EVO long arm front coilover kit for front and enforcer coilover kit for rear as they don’t make a long arm rear for JT (excluding the trailing arm system). The ride height is adjustable. But to keep it closer to the 3” lift, it only gives you 3” of up travel. Adjusting the rear to the rear to level off of the front 3” of lift yields even less up travel. So I’ll have the front and rear shocks and shock brackets for sale very soon, only about 600 miles on them, haven’t even been in the dirt yet. PM me if interested.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have the opposite regret on my JT. I went with EVO long arm front coilover kit for front and enforcer coilover kit for rear as they don’t make a long arm rear for JT (excluding the trailing arm system). The ride height is adjustable. But to keep it closer to the 3” lift, it only gives you 3” of up travel. Adjusting the rear to the rear to level off of the front 3” of lift yields even less up travel. So I’ll have the front and rear shocks and shock brackets for sale very soon, only about 600 miles on them, haven’t even been in the dirt yet. PM me if interested.
I know I'm new to all this coilover stuff but 3" of up travel sounds like more than enough for me or at least, assuming you have everything setup right. If you really want more, installing a set of springs with a heavier rate or taller ones would make more sense than starting over from scratch or at least, to me anyway.

EDIT: are you saying you don't want to go higher in ride height but still want more up travel?

Last edited:

Giedrius

Interesting. I got EVO coilovers installed with Metalcloak long arms (got sold on their joints), and so far am extremely happy. At somewhere between 3.5 and 4" lift measuring from the bottom of the front doors to the ground (30-30.5" @38 tires) I'm getting 5"+ of uptravel in the front and 4"+ in the rear. The rear springs settled a bit, I probably should lift it half an inch or so to level the Jeep and increase uptravel to 4.5"+, but so far the performance is phenomenal compared to stock. I can chase buggies on whoops at 60 mph without bottoming out, flex is crazy, and the ride on pavement way better than stock - very little nosedive and leaning on twisties, and it soaks up all small stuff like it's not there. I've never had a lifted Jeep so can compare it only to stock though, but it definitely surpassed my expectations.

Attachments

• PXL_20240106_235623324.jpg
    PXL_20240106_235623324.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240107_000012100.jpg
    PXL_20240107_000012100.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240116_220407981.jpg
    PXL_20240116_220407981.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20240220_204027649.jpg
    PXL_20240220_204027649.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20240220_204602294.jpg
    PXL_20240220_204602294.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 20

rumshcawheely

I know I'm new to all this coilover stuff but 3" of up travel sounds like more than enough for me or at least, assuming you have everything setup right. If you really want more, installing a set of springs with a heavier rate or taller ones would make more sense than starting over from scratch or at least, to me anyway.

EDIT: are you saying you don't want to go higher in ride height but still want more up travel?
Nobody would doubt your experience!
Ya, I’m shooting to keep the as low as possible and still get the tires stuff up into the finders, hoping for 6” of up travel. First build for me and I’ve learned a ton but plenty more to learn.

rumshcawheely

Interesting. I got EVO coilovers installed with Metalcloak long arms (got sold on their joints), and so far am extremely happy. At somewhere between 3.5 and 4" lift measuring from the bottom of the front doors to the ground (30-30.5" @38 tires) I'm getting 5"+ of uptravel in the front and 4"+ in the rear. The rear springs settled a bit, I probably should lift it half an inch or so to level the Jeep and increase uptravel to 4.5"+, but so far the performance is phenomenal compared to stock. I can chase buggies on whoops at 60 mph without bottoming out, flex is crazy, and the ride on pavement way better than stock - very little nosedive and leaning on twisties, and it soaks up all small stuff like it's not there. I've never had a lifted Jeep so can compare it only to stock though, but it definitely surpassed my expectations.
Your jeep looks great!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Nobody would doubt your experience!
Ya, I’m shooting to keep the as low as possible and still get the tires stuff up into the finders, hoping for 6” of up travel. First build for me and I’ve learned a ton but plenty more to learn.
Is there a reason why you feel a need to have so much up travel? Short of doing a lot of custom work and cutting through the hood, I honestly don't see how you could possibly get 6" of it and not go taller in ride height.

rumshcawheely

Is there a reason why you feel a need to have so much up travel? Short of doing a lot of custom work and cutting through the hood, I honestly don't see how you could possibly get 6" of it and not go taller in ride height.
I’ve always liked the vehicles to look like the tires fit into them if that makes sense? Also just cycling all the suspension everything appears that it can travel high enough to make it possible, just assumed it would then be possible. I think I can get some brackets in there and not poke through the hood. I’ll keep tinkering for sure. If 5” ends up being the number then that’s what it’ll be, just want as much up travel as I can get without rubbing the 40’s on the inner fenders.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve always liked the vehicles to look like the tires fit into them if that makes sense? Also just cycling all the suspension everything appears that it can travel high enough to make it possible, just assumed it would then be possible. I think I can get some brackets in there and not poke through the hood. I’ll keep tinkering for sure. If 5” ends up being the number then that’s what it’ll be, just want as much up travel as I can get without rubbing the 40’s on the inner fenders.
When you say you've cycled everything and it "appears" you can travel high enough, is this vertical travel you're talking about or articulated? There is a difference.

rumshcawheely

When you say you've cycled everything and it "appears" you can travel high enough, is this vertical travel you're talking about or articulated? There is a difference.
Yes there is a difference there for sure. I’m just saying that while installing my axles and the EVO long arm kit I seemed that more up travel is possible and I’m very intersted in getting what I can get.

rumshcawheely

No it hasn’t limited me in any way. And yes, I’ve not had it out yet. But would more up travel hurt my chances? I’m thinking not and up travel might be helpful when things speed up a bit getting from place to place.

Not sure why such a negative vibe here. Have I hurt someone’s feeling somehow? I didn’t intend to ruffle any feathers. If this can’t be a productive discussion, we can stop typing.

Top Bottom