FirstAid Kit

el_chupo_

tourniquet.... tourniquet... tourniquet!

I have some stuff in the vehicle that could be used in an emergency (a rubber strap from a blood draw kit, some 1" wide strap, etc.), but Ive been meaning to get a SOF-T tourniquet to stick in there. I know I need a good one, just havent placed an order from my usual place in a while.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I only said it again because one of the recent posts mentioned needing a bite kit.

Not my story to tell, but a young woman was bit by a Mohave rattler on a newbie trip several years back. She was very hurt, and the hospital bills were insane. There was a lot of forum talk about snake bite kits back then and a few member doctors weighed in on the issue.

I did my own research and discovered that suck kits (like the Sawyer) basically don't work. So much so that the owner had to retract much of his original advertising. Bottom line, get to a hospital with antivenin. Pretty much anything short of that is a waste of money and, more importantly, time.

whytiptoe

So trying to bring this post alive again because this is important for all to know.

Side note, I'm looking at getting IV fluid and I think it's kinda stupid I can buy the fluid but not the needles to go with it. How do I get some of I need them?

WJCO

Meme King
So trying to bring this post alive again because this is important for all to know.

Side note, I'm looking at getting IV fluid and I think it's kinda stupid I can buy the fluid but not the needles to go with it. How do I get some of I need them?

Good thread revival. Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you're asking where to get supplies for IV fluid, it may not be the best item to keep in your kit. I don't know the first thing about administering IV to another person, so I will not be keeping that in my kit. That's just me.

GraniteCrystal

Good thread revival. Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you're asking where to get supplies for IV fluid, it may not be the best item to keep in your kit. I don't know the first thing about administering IV to another person, so I will not be keeping that in my kit. That's just me.

I had similar thoughts. Odds of me needing an IV in my Jeep: really really low. Odds of having IV fluid spill inside my Jeep: much higher.

whytiptoe

I had similar thoughts. Odds of me needing an IV in my Jeep: really really low. Odds of having IV fluid spill inside my Jeep: much higher.

You two are right, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

WJCO

Meme King
One of these days, I want to take a Wilderness EMT or basics first responder course. Just to know basics, like vital signs, etc. Good knowledge to have I think.

GraniteCrystal

One of these days, I want to take a Wilderness EMT or basics first responder course. Just to know basics, like vital signs, etc. Good knowledge to have I think.

Yep, have same plans. A friend took Wilderness First Aid class and said it was awesome.

crowrb29

Look into the Navy/Marine Corps PMARCHP algorithm. It's catered to battlefield 1st aid but it has a lot of "real world" relevance as well.

Patient Safety
Massive Hemorrhage
Airway
Respiration
Circulation
Hypothermia
Pain Management

I always carry some H and Triangle bandages, gauze, combat gauze, duct tape, band aids for minor boo boos, burn cream, tourniquets, splinting material and ibuprofen.

0311DoC

Been in EMS for 20 years and was a FMF Corpsman for 14 years as mentioned above by others I have acquired quite the setup. I also teach Emergency Medical Services and TCCC. Your kits are ever evolving. You will never have the perfect kit or enough supplies.

Studfam24

Been in EMS for 20 years and was a FMF Corpsman for 14 years as mentioned above by others I have acquired quite the setup. I also teach Emergency Medical Services and TCCC. Your kits are ever evolving. You will never have the perfect kit or enough supplies.

X2...
I am also a medic and he's right. Start with what you can get your hands on and it'll grow from there. The kits out there now days are expensive and quite extensive. I've used probably 15% of the stuff they try to sell you in those kits. Stick to the basics and get lots. Remembering that most meds have a 2yr exp, and plastics a 5yr exp. So if you don't plan on using or know how to do an IV ect, save the $. If so, then by all means.

Top Bottom