FORDYCE for the FUN of It - In Before the Grooming

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, I really enjoyed this post and series of great pictures! Several years back I went with a group of friends (6 vehicles) from California (My wife and I are from Arizona) to run the Rubicon and Fordyce. None of us had ever done Fordyce and, of course we were on our own as it wasn't during the annual run. Our guide book said it would take us about 5 hours so we were in no hurry to get to the trail head. We arrived and began our trek at about 10 am. At winch hill #1 the oldest vehicle (CJ5) among our group broke a spring perch and it was downhill from there. I found myself thrust into the lead and 2 of our six jeeps got off the trail at 4 am the next morning. I negotiated winch hills 3-5 in the dark and at various points my wife was walking in the lead with a flashlight to recommend lines and make sure we stayed on the trail. On winch hill 4 the CJ again lost his spring from the jury rigged perch and the last 4 vehicles decided to wait until dawn to try to fix him again. My wife and I and the Jeep behind us went on into Truckee, after getting up winch hill #5 (I turned slightly early and actually climbed the rounded slick rock and then jagged boulder to the left of your jeep in your hill 5 photo) and brought back a thermos of coffee and some donuts for those who had waited on the trail for dawn. I have attached a photo of my 01 TJ going thru water crossing 2. (Terra Flex 4" long arm suspension, 5:38 gears, ARB lockers Front and Rear, 4-1 crawl box and many other extras but only 35" tires. [I notice you recommend nothing smaller than 37's in your post, now]) Not too deep, until the hole right before exiting, but water was really moving fast.

Hell of a story but pretty common on Fordyce. There is no question in my mind that if you take all the winch hills, it is a much tougher trail than the Rubicon and one that only seems to get tougher with each passing year.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Probably the wrong year for this trail...I'm not sure the water will be passable anytime soon. :(

Currently, the creek is flowing at about 1000 cfm. Anything over 400 is considered impassible or at least, it'd be pretty stupid to try. They are releasing as much water as they can in anticipation of all the snow melt. Essentially, I'd have to agree with you here.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Good point...there's always next year, late August/early September

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

There's no set schedule for when they release water. Essentially you could come all the way down and only be able to get to the first crossing or worse yet get caught between if they raise the level. You could check out the Sierra Trek though. They work with PG&E to ensure the flows are low during that event.

Currently, the creek is flowing at about 1000 cfm. Anything over 400 is considered impassible or at least, it'd be pretty stupid to try. They are releasing as much water as they can in anticipation of all the snow melt. Essentially, I'd have to agree with you here.

When I went it was flowing 450 so we just had lunch at the first crossing. Really was deceiving until I watched a TJ get his 44's swallowed up. It's no wonder people get in trouble on this trail.

Brute

Hooked
There's no set schedule for when they release water. Essentially you could come all the way down and only be able to get to the first crossing or worse yet get caught between if they raise the level. You could check out the Sierra Trek though. They work with PG&E to ensure the flows are low during that event.

When I went it was flowing 450 so we just had lunch at the first crossing. Really was deceiving until I watched a TJ get his 44's swallowed up. It's no wonder people get in trouble on this trail.

I did contact Sierra Trek...they will be requesting a flow reduction for their event...I'm going to try to run Fordyce & the Rubicon back to back in August...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I did contact Sierra Trek...they will be requesting a flow reduction for their event...I'm going to try to run Fordyce & the Rubicon back to back in August...

Best time to go being that they essentially guarantee that the creek will be fordable. They have good guys and gals who run the show, groom the trail and have spotters to help ensure you make it through.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
I've probably said this before, but this is definitely my favorite thread. Awesome job documenting your trip. This is high on my bucket list.:thumb:

Ddays

Hooked
I've probably said this before, but this is definitely my favorite thread. Awesome job documenting your trip. This is high on my bucket list.:thumb:

Thanks for the bump. Great way to spend lunch!

*sigh* Sure do miss Rubicat :daydream:

Top Bottom