Front RK CA's & EVO 3" coils: Advice!

liljohn850

:cheesy: You do know that AEV made their drop brackets as a cheap way to get around the need for adjustable control arms and to get away from their god awful cam bolts they used to sell with their kits, right? It's all about geometry - their drop bracket correct for it and adding 1" longer than stock arms WILL drastically change your caster angle.

Waaaiiiitttt a second. The RK rear arms are one inch longer. The fronts are too? 👎. But I certainly see the debate. I would def do measurements prior too this non sense.

Landman

Yes the shortest the rk arms go are around 1" longer than factory. I just went with the fronts hoping that with a 3" spring I'll be able to get it close without any bad stuff happening :eek:

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Landman

OK so I installed my shocks and coils with the aev stuff still in place. I couldn't break the CA bolts loose because I let someone tap them with an impact.... BUT it sits at least 2 inches higher and I had the rear at full droop with stock arms and the longer shocks and the springs did not unseat. I'm liking the ride so far and will finish taking off brackets and what not soon!

Landman

It seems thus setup will def provide better droop and performance off road.

Landman

2 inches was a bit of an exaggeration. I'll get some solid numbers asap.

Landman

Alright here's an update: front track bar and front uppers and lowers on last night, and minus the pain in the ass setting the jam nuts without a vice was, the arms went in nice and I don't believe my springs will hit the sway bar!!! When I put my rear sway bar bracket and brake lines on ill get some pictures and test it for any interference. Now I will have to get an alignment done more for the fact that I'll need to torque the jam nuts down more and center the joints and that very well may change things lol

liljohn850

I spoke with AEV, in short I removed the drop brackets and put my arms on. I called RK for recommended control arm lengths for my lift. Their recommended lengths were spot on. The ride is better than the drop brackets and the handling is about the same.

Landman

I have done the same but I couldn't set the jam nuts without a vice so I'm getting an alignment at a shop to set and torque them.

Landman

Sorry I haven't updated.... my pinion m/caster is set wrong. When I put the angle finder on it, it's showing close to 0°. I have only taken it on a mild trail and still haven't flexed it yet.

Flyer

My first lift was the RK 2.5 X-factor on a 2012 JKR. After the RK springs, I also used the EVO springs. Both bowed in the back (even with RK coil wedges) and made contact till I cut the arms and moved them a bit closer. They still were a bit long. I eventually sold the arms and went with Rokmen Johnny Joint arms. Those adjust down to stock size so I went back to close-to-stock with those. The problem with the RK arms I had was that if you don't tell them to give you arms that adjust down to stock, you are stuck with an inch stretch. I did not realize that since that was my first JK and first lift. Yeah, my hack of an installer did not mention that either. That is a nightmarish story- the RK "installer" who they seem to have cut some ties with now.

Since I only have 35s and don't do anything truly hard like the JK-Experience crawling you see, I tried the AEV drop brackets. On the 2-door, it really improved the choppy ride and brake dive so I was sold. I am not sure what the improvement in on the 4-door (maybe not as significant?) but I used them on this new JKUR and ended up selling my Rokmen arms. The ride is great, and the 4-door naturally drives better (esp on pavement) than my 2-door. If I run into clearance issues, I'll consider removing the AEV brackets and running adjustable arms (maybe Rokmens again). If I stop spending money on bikes, I'll spring for a long-arm setup and coilovers in due course. I think that is the ultimate setup for good handling.

Interested to see what you think about the RK setup once it is all sorted.

Top Bottom