Front Shock Stem Issues

DogHouse

Has anyone seen/heard of the entire bushing assembly coming off the front shock stem? I was hearing a rattle coming from the front right corner of my Jeep for about the last month, chocked it up to a loose heat shield or something as it didn’t happen all the time. Well, fast forward to two days ago and it now sounds like my whole right front wheel is going to fall off. I got under the Jeep and began to tap things with a rubber mallet and wasn’t able to replicate the rattle I was hearing. Fearing a unit bearing or blown ball joints, I put my jack under the right side of the axle and still found nothing. I then lowered the Jeep and I finally heard it. My son was standing by the tire and pointed to my shock shaft as he saw it move. Then I looked closer and saw the nut on the shock stem had backed all the way off and both rubber bushings and concave washers were gone. No parts stores had them in stock anywhere around me so I had to order the new ones which will be here Wednesday.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 12

WJCO

Meme King
Has anyone seen/heard of the entire bushing assembly coming off the front shock stem? I was hearing a rattle coming from the front right corner of my Jeep for about the last month, chocked it up to a loose heat shield or something as it didn’t happen all the time. Well, fast forward to two days ago and it now sounds like my whole right front wheel is going to fall off. I got under the Jeep and began to tap things with a rubber mallet and wasn’t able to replicate the rattle I was hearing. Fearing a unit bearing or blown ball joints, I put my jack under the right side of the axle and still found nothing. I then lowered the Jeep and I finally heard it. My son was standing by the tire and pointed to my shock shaft as he saw it move. Then I looked closer and saw the nut on the shock stem had backed all the way off and both rubber bushings and concave washers were gone. No parts stores had them in stock anywhere around me so I had to order the new ones which will be here Wednesday.
I'm guessing it was cross threaded during install. If loose, you would have heard the noise a long time ago. If overtightened, shaft stud would have snapped.

jeeeep

Hooked
take a closer look at the threads to see if they are crossed.
get the right size thread cutter die or you may have to replace the shock.
I've never had one fall off like that.

DogHouse

So the new bushings and washers came in today and I was able to get them installed. The threads were absolutely fine except for a few on the very bottom of the stem, probably from the stem rattling against the mount. It would appear the nut just backed itself off the stem. Anywho, I made sure the new ones wouldn’t be able to do the same, I used a nylon lock nut as a jam nut.

Attachments

• IMG_5569.jpeg
    IMG_5569.jpeg
    158.7 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom