Fuel econamy boost

BlackBandit

I know... I feel like a dickhead for asking this but as my jeep is on 4 inchs of lift and running something close to a 34 inch tire. Its my daily driver and my first vehicle. kinda want some MPG back. Modifications, maintance tips... anything you guys suggest to help me keep my mpg or even better would be to improve the gas milage i get.

cmireles

I know... I feel like a dickhead for asking this but as my jeep is on 4 inchs of lift and running something close to a 34 inch tire. Its my daily driver and my first vehicle. kinda want some MPG back. Modifications, maintance tips... anything you guys suggest to help me keep my mpg or even better would be to improve the gas milage i get.

First I'd probably switch to 3 inch springs, that's a lot of lift for 35's. Hard tops help too. The best thing you can do though is to regear to fit your proper tire size of you haven't already.

WJCO

Meme King

Toyota_Prius_Plug-In_Hybrid_IAA_2009.jpg ..........

WJCO

Meme King
Seriously, gears will help for around town or climbing, but not for highway. Proper air pressure in your tires will help, air intake and exhaust breath-ability will help too. Besides that, you own a Jeep. Enjoy it with or without MPGs. Any roof racks or wind resistance mods will hinder the MPGs.

ScoobyCarolanNC

I get 60 smiles a gallon! Depending on your mileage some routine maintenance could help. I religiously log my gas fill ups & mileage. I went up .3 mpg after my automatic transmission service. Tire selection & pressure will make a big difference. I went from 13.8 mpg at 34psi to 14.4 at 36psi.

Drop your windshield & remove your top & doors. Your CoD will go way down!

ScoobyCarolanNC

Oh, use your cruise control & stay 5mph under the speed limit. You might eek .75-1mpg by not using your foot & letting the throttle be more consistent. I'm stock on 3.21s with 32" wheels & 60mph is way better on gas than 70.

WJCO

Meme King
No modifications that help?

You have to take basic physics and science into consideration. A lifted Jeep with bigger tires and extra weight with a V6 engine can only do so much. It is what it is. There's no magic 'gas mileage mod' that will change things. Sorry.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I lost 1 to 1.5 mpg, just by putting a winch & mounting plate on the stock front bumper (+/- 100 lbs.), and not reinstalling the front air dam.

WJCO

Meme King
I was looking at eco chips. I wonder if they are bogus or not. They claim to add a couple mpg

I've never had luck with any chips as far as MPG. But I know some people who have. All the people I know who have had luck were at sea level or close to though.

kyle521

Seriously, gears will help for around town or climbing, but not for highway. Proper air pressure in your tires will help, air intake and exhaust breath-ability will help too. Besides that, you own a Jeep. Enjoy it with or without MPGs. Any roof racks or wind resistance mods will hinder the MPGs.

Gears do help for highway mpg, depending on terrain. It reduces the gear hunting while trying to maintain highway speed

geberhard

Douchebag
driving a lifted Jeep and worrying about MPG is like eating a half KrespyKream donut so you will not get fat :) best bet is by a shit econobox second car (i.e. old geo or civic), and use as a daily driver. I remember some calculations someone posted on a forum a while back, and having teh second car was actually cheaper than the gas usage on 35's on his example.

As far as MPG gains, like it was mentioned proper tire pressure, and remove any extra unnecessary weight or stuff interfering with aerodynamics) (rack, lights, heavy spare, hi-lift, etc). If your gears are not proportionate to the tire size (i.e. 4.56), and ou are running stock gears, perhaps grab a set of 31's as daily driver duy and keep the 34's at home for wheeling.

There are no magic bullets, but the only improvements I have seen on Jeeps with 4.0 were a better air intake (maybe 1-2 MPGS) if you are lucky, chip and throttle body spacer. A real improvement is changing your driving habits (AKA less foot on the skinny pedal), and keeping windows rolled up or top on and zipped up. As suggested a drop in height will also help some.

Good luck and report back :0

professorkx

I installed the 2.5 budget boost and 35" tires on my Rubicon X the first day I owned it, so never got to test the stock MPG. However, I didn't much care for 15.3 highway/city mpg after adjusting the tire size. For our trip to Moab last Thanksgiving, I bought the Flashpaq and installed the mpg tune. Awful power in the mountain passes. Installed the performance tune, great power, awful mpg. Installed the 87 octane tune and got 17.3 mpg. City driving is 16.7 all the time, which I can live with. If I drive at 60 mph, I can get 19.7 on the highway, but not sure I want to go that slow.

We also bought a Flashpaq for my son's 2007, and he had the same result, improvement in mpg using the 87 octane.

Oh yes, the crawl tune is just an on/off switch on my 2014, so completely useless, but the performance tune rock crawling or the 87 tune work great. However, on the 2007, the crawl tune is excellent, so must be the motor difference.

martinzusmc

I'll tell you that as soon as my (SC) hits boost... There is an inverse relationship to my fun factor and MPG.haha That is why I also have a hybrid commuting car for day to day driving.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

When was the last time you done a tune up? That may help.

What is your jeep? TJ, YJ, 4 cyl, 6cyl, auto, standard? What gears? 35s on stock gears kills the mileage. Other than gears, good luck. It is a lifted jeep.

I had a yj with a 4 cyl, 4.10s, 5 speed, and 35s. 5th gear was useless. I had a fuel inj start leaking and had been reading around and found that the 5.0 ford injectors could be swapped with the 4 cyl injectors. They were a 4 hole injector compared to a 2 hole injector. I noticed a slight increase in mileage, it also held hills better. I got these free from a buddy though as he was upgrading the ones in his mustang.

Top Bottom