Fuel Prices

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That might be, but the hike is BS. They make billions already.
To be fair, California is making tons of money too. Almost .80¢ of every gallon goes to taxes.

Californians consumed 13.82 billion gallons of finished gasoline in 2021. At .77¢ a gallon, that's $10,780,000,000. Even if only half goes to the state, that's still $5,390,000,000. Hope it's being well spent.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
To be fair, California is making tons of money too. Almost .80¢ of every gallon goes to taxes.

Californians consumed 13.82 billion gallons of finished gasoline in 2021. At .77¢ a gallon, that's $10,780,000,000. Even if only half goes to the state, that's still $5,390,000,000. Hope it's being well spent.
For a state with so many anti-capitalism liberals, they sure love their capitalism...

JAGS

Hooked

Some of our voters are stupid to keep approving tax hikes. 🤪😡 Some is spent well, not most. That’s annually for the state. Still a drop compared to the multiple oil co annual profits that same year. Ever higher profits in the years since.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Some of our voters are stupid to keep approving tax hikes. 🤪😡 Some is spent well, not most. That’s annually for the state. Still a drop compared to the multiple oil co annual profits that same year. Ever higher profits in the years since.
LOL - there's a lot of reasons why price are so much higher now than it was just 4 years ago, especially in a state like California. You can blame 'greedy oil companies' that provide you with something that you actually want if it makes you feel better but it doesn't change the fact that gas is still half the cost in other states.

Either way, there are other options available if you want to stick it to the man. Certainly, you can always buy a Tesla or the like (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I took a quick dive down the rabbit whole and found the following is more likely the reason why gas prices are so high right now.

1. Demand for gas went way down due to the stupid virus thing and subsequent lock downs.
2. Oil producers cut production due to lack of demand - it's simple economics.
3. When people started to come to their senses and things got better, OPEC was slow to ramp up production.
4. Thanks to the whole blue and yellow flag people, sanctions were put on Russia and that included oil. That caused a rapid 20% hike in prices.
5. The Keystone pipeline was cancelled.
6. Companies in the US have become constrained by the tight supply of rigs, trucks and labor that's needed to supply more oil.
7. Current emphasis on shifting away from oil and fossil fuels as a whole has created a disincentive to boost production.

Of course, if you live in a state, county or city or all of the above that taxes your gas at a higher rate than others, that ain't gonna help you out either.

NPC 6060⁸42

Similar thing they did with tobacco. Taxed the crap out of it then more people quite so the states were making less and less. They rail and rail against something and raise taxes then when people start driving less or using less fuel they have to find new ways to get their money.
I was driving a hybrid here in Va and loving the low fuel costs. Well Virginia figured out folks driving hybrids weren’t paying their ‘fair” share so they put a surcharge on your registration. Since I drive very few miles anyway I traded the hybrid on the Gladiator.

JAGS

Hooked
LOL - there's a lot of reasons why price are so much higher now than it was just 4 years ago, especially in a state like California. You can blame 'greedy oil companies' that provide you with something that you actually want if it makes you feel better but it doesn't change the fact that gas is still half the cost in other states.

Either way, there are other options available if you want to stick it to the man. Certainly, you can always buy a Tesla or the like (y)
I took a quick dive down the rabbit whole and found the following is more likely the reason why gas prices are so high right now.

1. Demand for gas went way down due to the stupid virus thing and subsequent lock downs.
2. Oil producers cut production due to lack of demand - it's simple economics.
3. When people started to come to their senses and things got better, OPEC was slow to ramp up production.
4. Thanks to the whole blue and yellow flag people, sanctions were put on Russia and that included oil. That caused a rapid 20% hike in prices.
5. The Keystone pipeline was cancelled.
6. Companies in the US have become constrained by the tight supply of rigs, trucks and labor that's needed to supply more oil.
7. Current emphasis on shifting away from oil and fossil fuels as a whole has created a disincentive to boost production.

Of course, if you live in a state, county or city or all of the above that taxes your gas at a higher rate than others, that ain't gonna help you out either.
Not arguing with you on any of these. All true and valid. There’s tons of rabbit holes and I’ve gone down many as well.

We do pay lots of premiums in California. If I were retired, or knew where my kids were going to settle, I would consider moving elsewhere. Though there are other aspects of CA I do enjoy and would miss if I left.

Small potatoes. The Dallas city budget is 8 billion, primarily from property taxes. And that does not include the school system.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not arguing with you on any of these. All true and valid. There’s tons of rabbit holes and I’ve gone down many as well.

We do pay lots of premiums in California. If I were retired, or knew where my kids were going to settle, I would consider moving elsewhere. Though there are other aspects of CA I do enjoy and would miss if I left.
I get it, CA is a beautiful state. Living there just comes at a cost and high gas prices is just one of them.

Top Bottom