Fuel Prices

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Small potatoes. The Dallas city budget is 8 billion, primarily from property taxes. And that does not include the school system.
Not sure what your point is but being that is thread is about FUEL PRICES, may I remind you that you're only paying about $3 a gallon - about HALF of what CA is paying.

Just looked and the lowest average cost for gas right now is in Mississippi and at $3.12. Almost HALF of what the average Californian is paying.
The Californians should move to Mississippi, if only for the lower gas prices. Then leave what remains of the state to us.

Last edited:
I took a quick dive down the rabbit whole and found the following is more likely the reason why gas prices are so high right now.

1. Demand for gas went way down due to the stupid virus thing and subsequent lock downs.
2. Oil producers cut production due to lack of demand - it's simple economics.
3. When people started to come to their senses and things got better, OPEC was slow to ramp up production.
4. Thanks to the whole blue and yellow flag people, sanctions were put on Russia and that included oil. That caused a rapid 20% hike in prices.
5. The Keystone pipeline was cancelled.
6. Companies in the US have become constrained by the tight supply of rigs, trucks and labor that's needed to supply more oil.
7. Current emphasis on shifting away from oil and fossil fuels as a whole has created a disincentive to boost production.

Of course, if you live in a state, county or city or all of the above that taxes your gas at a higher rate than others, that ain't gonna help you out either.
You forgot that California demands a special formulation of the gas.

Only item 6 on your list is really significant given that distance does clearly matter. But California is still a oil state and I have heard that most of the oil refining for California is done in the state.

Regardless, the issues were mostly brought on themselves.

Not sure what your point is but being that is thread is about FUEL PRICES, may I remind you that you're only paying about $3 a gallon - about HALF of what CA is paying.
My point is that just part of one metro area (a relatively small party of the DFW complex) is already consuming 8 billion per year.

So 8 billion is now just a tiny fraction of the budget for a state like California. What used to be a lot is not considered so significant any more.

jeeeep

Hooked

AZVAJKU

Hooked
It’s funny how upset people get about the profits of various corporations. The relationship we have with them is largely voluntary. They have a product and we agree to buy it.

In contrast government takes your money at the point of a gun, you have no choice over the matter. Try not paying them. Taxes are cascaded upon you, meaning each layer of production is taxed and multiple layers of taxes are baked in to everything you consume. In addition you pay taxes on items you have already previously paid taxes on. On top of that Fed Gov is borrowing money in your name without your consent and sticking you with the bill and in turn devaluing the money you have. To make it worse they try to convince you that corporations are responsible for high prices and tell you that Gov will “make corporations pay their fair share” by taxing them. These additional costs of increased taxation incurred by corporations are then passed on to you in the form of price increases. Over 50% of our income is eaten up by taxes and inflation.

JAGS

Hooked
banks had record profits and not much news about that, credit card companies record profits and the hikes from both of those has gotten how much news attention?

Something of interest on profits:
Corporate Profits by Industry:

Where California gets its oil:
California Energy Commision

Annual Oil Supply Sources To California Refineries

this is a gas thread, so that what I mentioned. I’m well aware and self educated on corporate profits. My 401k and stock portfolio appreciates many of them 😉

It’s funny how upset people get about the profits of various corporations. The relationship we have with them is largely voluntary. They have a product and we agree to buy it.

In contrast government takes your money at the point of a gun, you have no choice over the matter. Try not paying them. Taxes are cascaded upon you, meaning each layer of production is taxed and multiple layers of taxes are baked in to everything you consume. In addition you pay taxes on items you have already previously paid taxes on. On top of that Fed Gov is borrowing money in your name without your consent and sticking you with the bill and in turn devaluing the money you have. To make it worse they try to convince you that corporations are responsible for high prices and tell you that Gov will “make corporations pay their fair share” by taxing them. These additional costs of increased taxation incurred by corporations are then passed on to you in the form of price increases. Over 50% of our income is eaten up by taxes and inflation.

You have many valid and truthful points. 👍 I’m not that upset, I could live in many other countries that can only pray to have these first world problems.

I agree with your first point that many of the profits I “contribute” to are voluntary. They are relatively isolated to that item or that company. I’m fortunate to be able to choose who I support with my hard earned money. Some costs/profits/taxes do have a broader impact across several industries with a domino affect.

Even in California the locals have had enough - At 7/11 tonight.

View attachment 406880
View attachment 406881

Also the “cheapest” in the area too 🙄
The inspection sticker implies that "public good" outweighs individual good. Perhaps California's continual striving for the "public good" (i.e. save the planet) is responsible for this?

If only one refinery produces California's special gas, then that represents a monopoly.

Much of Arizona's gas also comes from California, but it is not that special formulation, so it is much cheaper.

Top Bottom