FYI for GMRS install

dirtbag222

Note: I have the Midland 275 so all the controls are on the hand held. There is a perfect mounting bracket up under the steering wheel behind the kick panel with holes already drilled in it. I just clipped out the slots of that little vent looking thing to run my handheld through. Fit perfect. Completely out of the way. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

Note: I have the Midland 275 so all the controls are on the hand held. There is a perfect mounting bracket up under the steering wheel behind the kick panel with holes already drilled in it. I just clipped out the slots of that little vent looking thing to run my handheld through. Fit perfect. Completely out of the way. I'll post pics if anyone is interested.
Yes please. Also where did you wire it to?

Ill take some pics when I get home. It's just plugged into the cigarette lighter for now. I'm gonna wire it into the fuse box eventually though. Hell maybe tonight since I'll be in there anyway

If you get tired of the Cord going across your dash like that.... you can double stick tape the brain into your glove box.. and run the power to the battery. Gives the passenger an extra USB plug in too.
Yeah im going to hard wire it this week to free up the plug. Other than that the cord hangs just right for me to stay out of the way. I don't have much luck with tape. Never seems to hold. 🤷 In fact that's how the screen protector on the handheld got fucked. Tape failed and it hit something wrong. Now it's screwed on and sturdy as fuck! 😎

Yeah im going to hard wire it this week to free up the plug. Other than that the cord hangs just right for me to stay out of the way. I don't have much luck with tape. Never seems to hold. 🤷 In fact that's how the screen protector on the handheld got fucked. Tape failed and it hit something wrong. Now it's screwed on and sturdy as fuck! 😎
3M Heavy Duty Tape... Been on there A couple Years Now I think... hasn't moved... could probably bolt it to the glove box also. I'm just saying if you end up not liking the Mic Cord going across the Dash... this is another option.

IMG_5456.JPG
IMG_5457.JPG

I have no idea what’s in my glove box but I know it’s full. I’ll have to try the area under the steering wheel. I think you can power off the cigarette lighter from behind somehow.

If you get tired of the Cord going across your dash like that.... you can double stick tape the brain into your glove box.. and run the power to the battery. Gives the passenger an extra USB plug in too.
Is there not enough free space behind the glove box to mount the radio? I have noticed that some mount it to the plastic on the right of the center console. The glove box is invariably full and the radio would overheat with the added insulation.

Since I already have a 67 Designs setup, I would look to leverage that for the handset.

Is there not enough free space behind the glove box to mount the radio? I have noticed that some mount it to the plastic on the right of the center console. The glove box is invariably full and the radio would overheat with the added insulation.

Since I already have a 67 Designs setup, I would look to leverage that for the handset.
No. My glovebox is full.. and my 275 - 15W has had zero issues.

3M Heavy Duty Tape... Been on there A couple Years Now I think... hasn't moved... could probably bolt it to the glove box also. I'm just saying if you end up not liking the Mic Cord going across the Dash... this is another option.

View attachment 407461
View attachment 407462
Well sounds like you definitely have better luck with tape than I do 🤣 and it looks like your glove box is a fuckin giant compared to mine. Mines barely big enough for the owners manual and a pair of sunglasses. 🤣

I think you can power off the cigarette lighter from behind somehow.
Yep... you can either tap the wires leading to the cigarette lighter directly or you can buy a cheap wiring harness off Amazon that gives you a fused lead off the back of the lighter.

Yep... you can either tap the wires leading to the cigarette lighter directly or you can buy a cheap wiring harness off Amazon that gives you a fused lead off the back of the lighter.
Heads up though the cigarette lighter powers off with the jeep. Mine does anyway. I'm gonna power mine off a different fuse(haven't decided which yet) with a fuse splicers out of the fuse box. Just up under the steering wheel on he drivers side there's a hole in the fire wall so I'm just gonna run it through with the rest of my crap iv got going through it

I ran an extension to the passenger side of the dash and installed a female port for the mic. Super easy to unplug the mic if I want it hidden away. I also hardwired an external speaker and mounted it to the 67 Designs bar I have holding my phone.

Attachments

• IMG_4715.jpeg
    IMG_4715.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4716.jpeg
    IMG_4716.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4717.jpeg
    IMG_4717.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 20
Heads up though the cigarette lighter powers off with the jeep. Mine does anyway. I'm gonna power mine off a different fuse(haven't decided which yet) with a fuse splicers out of the fuse box. Just up under the steering wheel on he drivers side there's a hole in the fire wall so I'm just gonna run it through with the rest of my crap iv got going through it
I think for me it would be better if it’s wired to shut off with the ignition since I’m likely to forget I left something on. I’m afraid I’d run my battery down.

Alot of good spots here.
I'm just too lazy to do any wiring through panels so my midland just sits between my seat and the e-brake lever, and I run the plug to the center console cig-lighter. Only thing I really did was run the antenna wire through the slit in the firewall, pretty simple.

Last edited:
Top Bottom