Gear ratio for 37s

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
I'm so up in the air on regearing now:sigh: I have a '12 JKUS with 3.73s and 35s. Can't decide to go 4.88 or 5.13. It'll be a while before I swap out the D30 for a PR44, if it ever happens. So I'm not really sure about going with 5.13s in the D30. My Jeep is 90% highway driven and will probably be that way the whole time I own it. I do plan on moving up to 37s eventually. Would I be good running 4.88s since my Jeep is mostly on the highway?

Well, the teeth on the the 5.13s are fairly small for the dana 30. I recommend you get the 4.88s which (according to the gear chart above) is in the performance range for 35s and I think you'll be happy with them. Especially on the highway. Once you go to 37s you'll loose a some highway diveability but I thin you'll still be happy.

2014 JKUR

JayKay

Caught the Bug
I'm doing everything I can to talk myself into 4.88s instead of 5.13s like most people would recommend. I know of the pinion being a lot smaller with the 5.13s in the D30. I tell myself that I plan to wheel more when the Jeep is paid off, but I just don't see myself doing anything crazy enough to need 5.13s or anything stronger than a D30, especially where I live. With the calculator on 4lo.com, there's only about a 130-140 RPM difference between 4.88 and 5.13 on 35s or 37s. Think I'll be regearing to 4.88s this winter. Thanks for the reassurance fellas! :thumb:

Grubbicon

I'm doing everything I can to talk myself into 4.88s instead of 5.13s like most people would recommend. I know of the pinion being a lot smaller with the 5.13s in the D30. I tell myself that I plan to wheel more when the Jeep is paid off, but I just don't see myself doing anything crazy enough to need 5.13s or anything stronger than a D30, especially where I live. With the calculator on 4lo.com, there's only about a 130-140 RPM difference between 4.88 and 5.13 on 35s or 37s. Think I'll be regearing to 4.88s this winter. Thanks for the reassurance fellas! :thumb:

I would be careful saying i dont see myself going harder. Once your rig gets bigger your going to look for the hardest think you can find.

TrailRidden

I run 5:38s and honestly couldn't be more pleased. whether i am doing 90 on the freeway or 1 in low gear, they really perform well with 37s.

aermotor

For 35" tires I would say D30: 4.88 — D44: 5.13 or 5.38

Of course you can run 5.13 in a D30 but I don't know if the performance is that worth it for the potential risk if you like to wheel hard.

I run 5:38s and honestly couldn't be more pleased. whether i am doing 90 on the freeway or 1 in low gear, they really perform well with 37s.

Are you running any upgrades to the axle? Gussets etc? And for how long? Thanks!

Last edited:

dalearyous

my '13 JKUR 6 speed on 35s goes under the knife today. Yukon 5.13s, arctec axle armor kit, synergy ball joints, and ARB diff covers. i was very anxious over 5.13s instead of 4.88s but after reading this thread i think i'll be ok. the shop said 5.13s since they know me and they know i'll be on 37s on the next set of tires. might as well be ready.

Top Bottom