GraniteCrystal build thread

GraniteCrystal

Field tools

Scored a great deal on a Kobalt tool set today! 115 piece set was $150, got it for $80. Pumped to have these along on the trail with me.

IMG_20160813_135046.jpg

IMG_20160813_142814.jpg

GraniteCrystal

Can anybody recommend a solid, one piece lug nut? Another lug nut with the casing bulged out. Chisel, hammer, and pliers got it off. These casings are worthless.

Attachments

• 1471133303092.jpg
    1471133303092.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 192

GraniteCrystal

new Sway Bar Motor

Got a free Rubicon sway bar motor from Jake (Boardsurfer). Thanks man! Glad to have a backup for if/when this one fries. Your Jeep is looking good!

IMG_20160814_182753.jpg

GraniteCrystal

Rain proofing Jeep

Doing more prep work for the big trip and came up with a way to rain proof the Jeep if the skies open up on us. Planning on running without top and without doors for 4 straight days so needed to prep for handling the rain.

Only things needed is a large tarp and some bungees. Tarp is about $25 and here are the links for the bungees:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EC2CG9U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also got some small ones but those didn't end up being needed, at least when doing it in the garage:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004XDC0A8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are some shots of it set up. Let me know what you think!

IMG_20160814_201946.jpg

IMG_20160814_202014.jpg

IMG_20160814_202039.jpg

IMG_20160814_202108.jpg

I'm going to bring some the strings and tent pegs so I could actually attach more points to the tarp and pull it out from the Jeep a bit too if that works better.

JK Pleepleus

I use a tarp on my old Buick with T-tops during the rain, my paint is shot but I noticed that if the sun bakes on the top it discolors the paint. I also used magnets to hold it onto the car. The bungees worked ok, for me but I had to run them over the body more to get to hook up points. Going topless should definitely be fun and your system will be cheaper than buying any of those trail covers.

GraniteCrystal

I use a tarp on my old Buick with T-tops during the rain, my paint is shot but I noticed that if the sun bakes on the top it discolors the paint. I also used magnets to hold it onto the car. The bungees worked ok, for me but I had to run them over the body more to get to hook up points. Going topless should definitely be fun and your system will be cheaper than buying any of those trail covers.

Interesting. So if the tarp covers the car and it sits in the sun, the paint becomes discolored? That's bizarre. My tarp is stretched over the roof rack, so very little of it actually touches the Jeep.

USMC Wrangler

Can anybody recommend a solid, one piece lug nut? Another lug nut with the casing bulged out. Chisel, hammer, and pliers got it off. These casings are worthless.

I've been considering something like this...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471235771.003852.jpg

I haven't really heard anything, good or bad, about them though. Way down on my priority list right now, so not much research on my part yet.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

View attachment 217524

I haven't really heard anything, good or bad, about them though. Way down on my priority list right now, so not much research on my part yet.

Thanks. Haven't heard of them. Most of my research point to Gorilla or McGard but all with mixed reviews.

I've had the Gorilla brand for a few years now on one of the Liberty's. Good product, but be sure that you steer clear of the "Small Diameter" nuts. You want the full size ones. Don't ask how I know this! [emoji15]

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

I've had the Gorilla brand for a few years now on one of the Liberty's. Good product, but be sure that you steer clear of the "Small Diameter" nuts. You want the full size ones. Don't ask how I know this! [emoji15]

Words to live by ;) Thanks for the input!

GraniteCrystal

Fluid storage

Got the oil changed at the dealership yesterday and had them hook me up with a bunch fluids:
ATF+4 for the transfer case
Synthetic 5W-20 motor oil
Brake fluid
Power Steering Fluid

Here is the line up:
IMG_20160816_161924.jpg

And the Cabelas box I bought fits them perfectly! I can get 5 of them in the box like this:
IMG_20160816_162233.jpg

Or 6 like this:
IMG_20160816_163011.jpg

All buttoned up and leak proof!
IMG_20160816_163031.jpg

GraniteCrystal

Took the doors off last night so Scout was officially stripped down. Getting ready to leave on the multi-day trip I've been planning for about 9 months.

IMG_20160817_191212.jpg

IMG_20160817_191145.jpg

IMG_20160817_191229.jpg

Swapped out the fluid in the transfer case as well last night, so everything is ready to go for the trip ahead. Very easy to do, especially with the write up from Eddie. I owe that man a beer or two.

boardsurfer

View attachment 217524

I have these on my Jeep (came that way). No real complaints, BUT the indents on the lug nut that the socket is supposed to hold on to seem kind of shallow. It just seems to be begging to be stripped. It hasn't and I've rotated my tires I think 4 times now. Just something I keep in the back of my mind.

Top Bottom