Grinding noise in reverse from passenger side????

Cossalter18

What's up WOL maybe you can help me track this down. Going in straight reverse, coming to a slow brake and turning to the left in reverse. (But not the right) I get a grinding noise coming from the passenger side. I see no signs of rubbing anywhere, I have replaced the axle shaft u-joint , and just replaced the wheel hub and still have the noise. I replaced the u-joint and wheel Hub after researching this topic on WOL. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

It's a 2011 wrangler unlimited
33in tires
Evo leveling kit

What's up WOL maybe you can help me track this down. Going in straight reverse, coming to a slow brake and turning to the left in reverse. (But not the right) I get a grinding noise coming from the passenger side. I see no signs of rubbing anywhere, I have replaced the axle shaft u-joint , and just replaced the wheel hub and still have the noise. I replaced the u-joint and wheel Hub after researching this topic on WOL. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

It's a 2011 wrangler unlimited
33in tires
Evo leveling kit

If it is indeed coming from the RF wheel, I would check all your brake hardware and also make sure there are no abnormal sharp edges on the pads. Also make sure backing plates aren't hitting anything.

Front

And I have checked all my brake parts but I guess I haven't taken a very close look at my brake pads. Will have to get on that. Thanks for the idea!

Only other things I can thing of would be something rubbing like tire/fender, sway bar link, track bar hitting differential, etc. Check for close tolerances there too.

could be a bent brake dust cover
tire could be catching your break line as you back up
if you are still running your stock air dam you could be catching the edge of it if you have larger tires

Well after lots of looking and no results the grinding was still there.

Well time came to finally by new tires...and now no grinding! Crazy how that works out but my old tires were pretty unevenly worn but for them to make the noise they were really surprised me.

Well after lots of looking and no results the grinding was still there.

Well time came to finally by new tires...and now no grinding! Crazy how that works out but my old tires were pretty unevenly worn but for them to make the noise they were really surprised me.

Lol. Tires can do some weird things. Glad it's fixed and thanks for posting back.

*encase you hear it again, it could be the rear driveshaft hitting the evap canister. Just backing out of my driveway I could hear it hitting and eventually i had to relocate because it was beginning to tear the boot cover. made a horrible noise.

Top Bottom