Hammock Camping

Briguy114

Any hammock campers here? I just tried it over the weekend and loved it. Wanted to see if anyone else did this.

MountainRambler

I'm a hammock camper and I can tell you I will never sleep in a tent on the ground again! :D

Here is a pic of mine and my buddies rigs at saddle camp in Linville Gorge Wilderness, NC
1.jpg

My Rig Warbonnet Outdoors Blackbird XLC
2.jpg

Wohoo buddy check out that view
3.jpg

Last edited:

FrankenJeeper

Hammock camper here as well. So much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

No pics, but a buddy(TheCheaperJeeper) and I hung our hammocks between the our jeeps to catch a couple hours sleep on a fishing trip last week. Very versatile. Even in could weather (15-20 degrees) they're comfy and warm with the right insulation.

My rig is a ENO Double Nest with Slap Strap Pro's and a ENO bug net.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Briguy114

Nice. I kind of just stumbled on to it when one of my friends had one set up and nobody was sleeping in it. I was looking into getting myself a grand trunk skeeter beeter to start and go from there. Its kind of hard to justify buying a super expensive hammock when I can get a big tent for much cheaper

FrankenJeeper

Nice. I kind of just stumbled on to it when one of my friends had one set up and nobody was sleeping in it. I was looking into getting myself a grand trunk skeeter beeter to start and go from there. Its kind of hard to justify buying a super expensive hammock when I can get a big tent for much cheaper

It took a lot of thinking before I got my setup, when I've always camped in a tent either on a bed roll or a cot. But I love sleeping in my hammock. My rig wasn't all that expensive, about $130 for the hammock, slap straps, and bug net. In warm months I'll just toss on a light quilt or jacket to use as cover, in the cold months I'll thread the hammock through a couple large sleeping bags and climb in and actually be a tad on the warm side in 20 degree weather. And also save tons of room in the jeep compared to having a tent and cot when camping. I'll usually keep my hammock rig in the jeep in my pack just for the convenience of napping when I want to lol.

Sent from my Z796C using WAYALIFE mobile app

xkid

You would have to stay in one position all night though. I don't think I could do that.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

trailless

Caught the Bug
I've been thinking of setting up a hammock from my stinger to a tree. I could use the hood's footman loop for the rain fly. :cool:

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've been thinking of setting up a hammock from my stinger to a tree. I could use the hood's footman loop for the rain fly. :cool:

Have to try this when I go camping in a couple weeks. Good idea! And here I keep wanting to call you "clueless" rather than Trailess, may have to rethink that, lol.

trailless

Caught the Bug
Have to try this when I go camping in a couple weeks. Good idea! And here I keep wanting to call you "clueless" rather than Trailess, may have to rethink that, lol.

Haha, I know a lot about my field and some other topics but Jeeps/cars aren't one of those... learning from the best though!! :cool:

MountainRambler

You would have to stay in one position all night though. I don't think I could do that.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It all depends on the hammock some are tighter than others, I can sleep on my back or side in my Warbonnet black bird XLC it has a foot box sewn in which makes a big difference.

MountainRambler

Where did you guys purchase these hammocks?

I have tried all three major brands Eno, Hennessey, and Warbonnet. I highly recommend Warbonet http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/ Its not cheap but worth every penny, they are custom made to order right here in the USA. It's kind of like buying Jeep Parts you usually get what you pay for. The Warbonnet also weighs less than the Eno or Hennessey which makes it better for backpacking if you choose to do so.

Briguy114

I just ordered the grand trunk skeeter beeter. I'll see how it works out and add to it as I need. I don't do a ton of camping right now but I'm looking forward to getting out there more and using this thing

PapasPuncher

Hammocking is the best!

Just got back from a Colorado trip and here is my setup on a few different nights. The kids love sleeping in a hammock as well. I make all my hammocks really easy to do just go to https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php and you will find lots of tutorials for help.

Sometimes you need another anchor besides a tree!
20140605_085451_A6000_00456-2.jpg

20140603_081047_A6000_00270-2.jpg

20140605_220023_A6000_00490-2.jpg

sean112280

I have tried all three major brands Eno, Hennessey, and Warbonnet. I highly recommend Warbonet http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/ Its not cheap but worth every penny, they are custom made to order right here in the USA. It's kind of like buying Jeep Parts you usually get what you pay for. The Warbonnet also weighs less than the Eno or Hennessey which makes it better for backpacking if you choose to do so.

Thanks for the options everyone! I am really thinking about getting one of the for Jeeping trips:thumb:

hbkid22

I too am a hammock camper and more of an ultralight backpacker as well! Warbonnets are some of the best and worth the money. I am cheap and go with the ENO but have a warbonnet tarp.....Dont have any pics of my set up but have one on the jeep last trip out for a quick nap.....Mine is the silver Jeep.

jeep_hammock.jpg

Top Bottom