Hinged tire carrier options.

onebadtwo

Im in the market for a new tire carrier. After upgrading to 35s (on 15" wheels) Im pretty certain I need a tire carrier. The Crawler Concepts, Ace, and JCR versions all are hinged with the little heim joint link tying it to the tailgate. They all appear to be very strong, but they seem to stick way out away from the body. The EVO carrier seems like it would hold the tire in closer to the body as it bolts directly to the tailgate itself. What are your opinions on the 2 different styles of carrier? Are there any others I should be considering? I was able to look over the CC, Ace, and JCR versions this weekend at Jeep Beach, but there was no Evo carrier that I could find...

WJCO

Meme King
If you want to save some money, several members have had good luck running a 35 on the OEM carrier with proper extensions.

USMC Wrangler

If you want to save some money, several members have had good luck running a 35 on the OEM carrier with proper extensions.

Yep, this will at least get you by until you upgrade.

PVC pipe and caps over the factory isolators

IMG_1846.JPG

and a 5 1/4" drop hitch draw bar, upside down, no ball for a skid/support

IMG_2238.jpg

zimm

Caught the Bug
EVO and now Metalcloak make great tire carriers that replace the hinge.

I had an ACE rear bumper/carrier and while it was pure beef, it was over 200 pounds.

I also really like the genright body mount carrier. It looks awesome and is super solid, but for how often I'm in the back of my jeep, I didn't want to have to pull 2 pins every time. I might change my mind someday though.

onebadtwo

Yep, this will at least get you by until you upgrade.

PVC pipe and caps over the factory isolators

and a 5 1/4" drop hitch draw bar, upside down, no ball for a skid/support

The factory will work, but Im not a huge fan of how far the tire sticks out from the body.

EVO and now Metalcloak make great tire carriers that replace the hinge.

I had an ACE rear bumper/carrier and while it was pure beef, it was over 200 pounds.

I also really like the genright body mount carrier. It looks awesome and is super solid, but for how often I'm in the back of my jeep, I didn't want to have to pull 2 pins every time. I might change my mind someday though.

That Metalcloak carrier looks OK, I do like the looks of the EVO a little more. The price of the Metalcloak is a little nicer than the EVO. Im not seeing where anyone has installed it though... It least in my brief Google search.

zimm

Caught the Bug
The factory will work, but Im not a huge fan of how far the tire sticks out from the body.

That Metalcloak carrier looks OK, I do like the looks of the EVO a little more. The price of the Metalcloak is a little nicer than the EVO. Im not seeing where anyone has installed it though... It least in my brief Google search.

Which one? I personally saw the metal cloak, gen right, and Evo (mine) on my clubs trail ride last weekend.

onebadtwo

Which one? I personally saw the metal cloak, gen right, and Evo (mine) on my clubs trail ride last weekend.

The Metalcloak. There seem to be lots of posts about the EVO carrier, heck theres one on here that is almost 30 pages.

zimm

Caught the Bug
The Metalcloak. There seem to be lots of posts about the EVO carrier, heck theres one on here that is almost 30 pages.

Not many mc fans here. There's a club member of ours that is a dealer that hooks them up, so many run their stuff. I personally don't.

onebadtwo

Not many mc fans here. There's a club member of ours that is a dealer that hooks them up, so many run their stuff. I personally don't.

Theres a dealer here that doesn't seem to be a fan of either EVO or Metalcloak. I haven't asked him about the MC carrier, but he doesn't normally speak very well of the MC stuff. He's trying to sell me on the JCR... I'm just not a big fan of that style of carrier, they seem to add unnecessary distance between the body and the tire.

Last edited:

tippedover

I looked hard at all and ended going with poison spider, I kinda gambled on it and at first was thinking why didn't I go with evo but after all said and done I think it's pretty solid. And I think I looks great and the function of it is great! Just my 2 cents. and its close to the body like you said you wanted IMG_1456.jpg IMG_1457.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

wardawg

I went with a RR HD reinforced hinges and carrier because I didn't want to have to deal with either rattle and/or opening the tire carrier and then the tail gate.

I've been really happy with it.

Top Bottom